Author Topic: Ralph Godfrey - from West Bromwich to Suffolk  (Read 21899 times)

Offline looking4ralph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ralph Godfrey - from West Bromwich to Suffolk
« on: Monday 21 October 13 04:41 BST (UK) »
Help looking for great grandfather. I would very much appreciate any information or ideas on how to pursue my search for Ralph Godfrey my great grandfather and, my mother’s grandfather. To date my research has come up blank. What I do have is (his son’s) my grandfather’s birth certificate and marriage certificate.  On my grandfather’s birth certificate it states: his name - Reginald Godfrey; mother’s maiden name - Lilian Moore; father’s name - Ralph Godfrey; address - 27 Walter St, West Bromwich; date - September 19 1916; father’s occupation - machine salesman. I also have Reginald Godfrey’s marriage certificate of 1937 which states that his father Ralph Godfrey’s occupation was an engineer’s salesman and deceased. It appears that the couple also had another child Ethel L. Godfrey in 1918. The background is as follows, as told by my mother.  She told me that she used to question her parents about why she didn’t have a grandfather or grandmother like her friends, and her mother told her: Ralph and his wife Lilian were both killed in a car accident. Ralph (and his family?) came from Yorkshire. Ralph’s daughter, (Reginald’s sister) Ethel committed suicide (hung herself) in a barn (in the Bury St. Edmunds area) and Reginald found her. Ethel L. Godfrey’s birth date is in 1918, and date of death (through Ancestry) states September 1934 at age 17. So, Reginald would have been 19 at the time she died. Three years later Reginald was married in 1937 in the Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk area where he raised his family and where I also grew up. All I have so far is Reginald’s birth certificate to confirm his parent’s names, but I can’t find a birth, marriage, or death certificate for Ralph Godfrey. I am wondering whether “Ralph” was his true given name or a middle name that he preferred.  Another thought was tax records etc. from his job or home address in West Bromwich, Staffordshire. Any help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph Godfrey - West Bromwich
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 13 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to Rootschat:

According to FreeBDM, a ETHEL L. GODFREY, age 17, death is registered in the 3rd quarter (July-Sep) of 1934 in the district Bury St. Edmunds, county Suffolk.  The Volume number is 4a and page is 847.

If this is Ralph and Lillian's daughter and she had, sadly, committed suicide, the details are highly likely to have been been published in the local newspaper, and a coroner's inquest taken. 

I have taken a quick look on FreeBDM to see if a Lillian or Ralph Godfrey had passed away, at the same time, place etc., however nothing as yet has come up.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

A couple of thoughts.
Who were the witnesses to Reginald's 1937 marriage,what address does it give for him?

If you get Ethel's death cert (£9-25 from the official GRO website) it will also give you an address.
You may be able to check out the electoral rolls there ,or the one that Reginald married from,to see who else they were living with,or when mum or dad died.You would get full names that way too.

I expect that you could request a look up on the Suffolk boards at the local record office,or you could email them yourself and see if they would make a charge for a couple of years electoral roll look up. The local Bury St E library may also hold the registers.Or a newspaper with an article about Ethel,but you would need an exact date of her death from the detah cert first.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 13 15:01 BST (UK) »
I'm with Bonnie on this one.
Nothing showing for any Godfrey deaths at the same time so at the moment it looks like a story to keep mom quiet.
You need Ethel's death & from there search for newspaper reports in the area to glean what you can about her parents.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 04:17 BST (UK) »
I too endorse Jim & Carol's suggestion that you will need to purchase Ethel's death certificate to ascertain 'cause of death' and date. 

I see on FREEBDM there is a birth registration of a ETHEL L. MOORE Q1/1918 6b/1306 district West Bromwich with mother's surname of MOORE

So if Lillian's maiden name was MOORE, she could of been married previously and her first husband died (remembering 1914-18 war years) so would have wed Mr. Godfrey under her married name.   However, my search hasn't resulted in a Ralph and/or a GODFREY marrying a MOORE and/or Lillian, Lilian, Lily etc.   But as you say, Ralph may well be his middle name, as too Lillian, that they preferred to use.

As Jim said, the story told to your mother that her grandparents had died in a car accident may of been to been an 'easy option' to explain their absence. 
Bonnie

Offline looking4ralph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 05:51 BST (UK) »
thank you every body for the ideas, you have been very helpful. It will take me a few weeks to work on all these ideas. I'll update when I have more information. thanks again.

Offline looking4ralph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 05:53 BST (UK) »
One more thing! Do you think it would be okay if I posted my post on the Suffolk, and West Bromwich boards/forums???

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi looking4ralph
If you send a message to the 'Moderator', they will move the topic over for you.

Good luck with your search ... interested to hear how things develop.
Bonnie

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 17:45 BST (UK) »
Just a thought ralph can be used as a surname as well, have you tried reversing them.