Author Topic: Ship owners - Sunderland & South Shields  (Read 132038 times)

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
Re: Ship owners - Sunderland & South Shields
« Reply #225 on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant - Saturday 31 August 1793 Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Column 3 down about middle of the page (just above "Ships Arrived at Shields")

"Thursday (OK you tell me I know the f should be s but???) fe'nnight, the Maria, belonging Mr Donkerley of South Shields, was lost in going up the Swin, coal laden, -- Crew faved (Saved).

So is this Enoch Donkerley? It is 7 days before Enoch son's James Donkerley dies. Is this known as family?

Also in my notes brother of Henry Lee - I THINK the brother of Henry Lee (possibly Henry Havelock Lee:-), James Lee, Junior married Alice Reed daughter of John Reed shipowner of South Shields on Feb 15 1837 at St Hilda's - 18 Feb Newcastle Journal. I don't see anything else. Since ancestry dot com killed the old search I have found very little since.

Kidd and Hutton: Newry, Lancashire
Lee and Thompson: Bishopwearmouth, South Shields
Jones and Thomas: Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire
Wilson: unk, Ireland, York, Ontario
Knox: unk, Scotland, York, Ontario
Salvas Dit Laviolette, Lizotte, Pelletier, Langois: Quebec & France

Finding my Mariner ancestors, I understood why I didn’t bat an eye when I had the chance to work off shore. Of course I said yes, not for long, but long enough, Licensed 1980. (Remember lost and missing 1983 Glomar Java Sea

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Friday 10 October 14 00:52 BST (UK) »

"Thursday (OK you tell me I know the f should be s but???) fe'nnight, the Maria, belonging Mr Donkerley of South Shields, was lost in going up the Swin, coal laden, -- Crew faved (Saved).

Se'nnight is a contraction of sevennight, an archaic word for week.

The similar term fortnight meaning two weeks is still in common usage in the UK.

So that means the vessel was lost "a week ago Thursday". Since the newspaper is dated Sat., 31 August, the loss would have been on Thurs., 22 August, 1793.

MARIA was a very common name for a vessel. Official Numbers, unique identifiers for vessels, had not yet been introduced. Tonnage, which would help sort out the MARIA-s, is not given. Port of Registration is not given (doesn't matter where the owner(s) lived - the identification of a vessel is done through her Port of Registry). Then ... through her registration papers, the owner(s) are identified.

So ... even though ED did at various times in the 1790's own shares in one or more MARIA-s, there is insufficient evidence here to draw any conclusion. It could have been a different Donkerley.

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Saturday 11 October 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
This is all so great! Westoe giving so much to our family history knowledge! Archie our cousin descendant from Charles Havelock Lee sending us new information and making a wonderful addition to names of our family and where and when they passed away so they have memorials.

And now our cousin Meg wishes to join in the chat and catch up!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=136853787

Finding my Mariner ancestors, I understood why I didn’t bat an eye when I had the chance to work off shore. Of course I said yes, not for long, but long enough, Licensed 1980. (Remember lost and missing 1983 Glomar Java Sea

Offline Meg Kidd-Leahy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Saturday 11 October 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am Meg. I am the first cousin of Cherie Lynn.  and since she is talking about me I had better check in.

Cherie Lynn has been sharing with me what she has learned about our Thompson Donkerley Havelock Lee ancestors from this thread.   I have been thrilled to learn of each piece of information that has contributed to their story.  I would like to extend my deep gratitude to descendants of Charles Havelock Lee and Westoe and everyone else who have been generous in the sharing of these records over the past number of years.  This latest record of our ancestor has been simply wonderful and I thank you!
Kidd and Hutton: Ireland, Lancashire
Lee and Thompson: Durham
Salvas Dit Laviolette, Lizotte, Pelletier and Langois: Quebec, France
Fryers,Thompson,Irwin, McConkey,Hanna: UK-Northern Ireland
Golden,Flatley: Co. Sligo ? Roscommon Ireland
Mogan,Joyce,McDonough, Connelly: Co. Galway Ireland
Leahy,Ferris: Ireland,Quebec
Cashman:Cork

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
I had lots of coffee and tried again. I hope I got the name correct and a decent location description.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2557580&GRid=90022487&

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Thursday 20 November 14 02:21 GMT (UK) »
The biography of James Hutton Kidd was expanded by the archivist in New Zealand.

"Hutton" as he was called was the grandson of ship owner Henry Lee (once referred to as Henry H Lee?) and great grandson of ship owner EDT Enoch Donkerley Thompson.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/4k11/kidd-james-hutton

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Friday 13 March 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Some financial bits about the 1796 funeral of EDT's maternal grandfather Enoch Donkerley:

- coffin was made by George Harrison - cost 3 pounds, 10 shillings
 - tombstone was cut by Fenwick - cost 4 pounds, 14 shillings
 - sexton's fee for opening grave - 8 shillings
 - mourning rings for the family were made by jeweller Samuel - cost 11 pounds, 5 shillings
 - arrangements entrusted to James Downey, Clothier and Undertaker - his bill amounted to 145 pounds (included mourning clothes for family)

Source: TNA Chancery file C 13/2462

Comparing these amounts, it must have been one splendid funeral.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Thursday 19 March 15 18:13 GMT (UK) »
This is just wonderful information Westoe! I am certainly thrilled to see this. The death notice in the newspaper for Enoch Donkerley saying "eminent Sailmaker for many years" is a fitting description for the wonderful granddad! I will have to find the clipping, but I have no idea how to properly add it and cite it, but it is Column 3, Paragraph 4 DIED:.

Thank you Cherie Lynn

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
If I continue to wait until I have made all the corrections before I share information, it might not ever happen.

I made a page on facebook for

Fans and Family of Reginald Sherman Kidd also Reginald Sherman Winton

Hope all the family will like the page.

I hope I am posting the link correctly, if not please let me apologize now.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-and-Family-of-Reginald-Sherman-Kidd-also-Reginald-Sherman-Winton/106534273015418