Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57189 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #252 on: Friday 17 October 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz

When I entered Tillman, I did tick the 'var' box, but it did not show, regarding the first part FindMyPast state that it is a problem on the side of family search transfer.

Unfortunatly on the page shown there is no address, but assume it is a Hotel ?

Thanks again  - we progress

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Friday 17 October 14 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Baedeker's 1881 Guide to London shows 16 New Bond Street as Long's Hotel.

Quote:
"At 16 New Bond Street is Long's Hotel, chiefly frequented by sporting gentlemen."
Unquote.

Drawing c. 1878 online here:
http://www.ashrare.com/bond_street_prints.html

and also here:
http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-images/XJ101235/Longs-Hotel-Bond-Street-London?img=1&search=long's&bool=phrase

Long's was still listed at that address in a 6 June 1891 newspaper.

Don't know much about Harrogate as a spa. Did people walk to The Pump Room to sip the waters from a glass several times a day, or was it like the hot springs at Banff, Canada where one immersed oneself in the waters? If so, and it was December, no wonder he caught pneumonia. Goughy's "ambling thought" on your other thread may be on the mark there.

Or, my earlier remark may be spot on too - pneumonia is very often a subsidiary effect of heart attack, stroke, cancer etc.

From a medical website:
Pneumonia is called the old man's friend because, left untreated, the sufferer often lapses into a state of reduced consciousness, slipping peacefully away in their sleep, giving a dignified end to a period of often considerable suffering.

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/cancer/202478.html#ixzz3GRPfBg4d
Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

I got your direct email; nothing useful comes to mind to say.

But ... erm ... can't resist asking. Was the monument in Grangetown Cemetery "architect-designed"?

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Saturday 18 October 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Uhm -   your last remark made me chuckle - yes he did rather have a 'thing' about Corinthian columns - so, no thinks he didn't fancy being under one.

Thanks for info on Long's Hotel, - so we know at least where he was on Sunday night the 5th April in 1891( being the weekend after Easter) , but as to why he was there - no idea - maybe to buy another picture - Sotherbys were not far away - or visit to R.I.B.A. - or just to get away from nosey Ancestor hunters!!
Another bit I picked up is below, so I think proving that Granny Tullick had picked up the money that you mentioned sometime ago.

1851: 29 Union Street, Bishopwearmouth John, grandson aged 15, joiner's apprentice, born Sunderland, living with his grandmother Mary Tullick, a proprietor of houses.  Maybe some influence of Aunty Thomasin and husband ( a Shipwright ) and the fact that their two sons ( being close to John’s age) were both apprentice joiners, however at the age of 18yrs, John became articled to the Architect Mr Martin Greenway, whereas Thomasin’s two sons went off to sea.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY
Please where can I find out more ? Suz kindly found this for me and it appears to fit with Duncan Wilson who would have been ( as far as I can see) the only nephew of John Tillman ( the Architect)
Duncan being the only son of Louisa( John's baby sister) and the Rev Wilson.

There is a medal card on A******y for him

Harold Gillies Plastic Surgery Archives from WW1 transcripts
Duncan Wilson
age 32
Private
no 12410
Durham Light Infantry11 th Bat
Wounded 22/08/1917
British
Gun shot wound face left chin & neck, fractured mandible
Military Armed Forces & Conflict WW1

Did he in fact survive this, there is one death entry which would make him 93, but am not sure as a Duncan Wilson also died in 1917.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Saturday 18 October 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

You could try asking here:
http://www.dlidurham.org.uk/Pages/MuseumHomepage.aspx

or save it for a visit to Durham records Office:
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/DurhamLightInfantry.aspx

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Saturday 18 October 14 21:43 BST (UK) »
Their Great War Roll of Honour is here:
http://www.ww1photos.com/DLI.html

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Saturday 18 October 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
A snippet relating to DW and his father on page 180 of this pdf.

[PDF]Created using PDFonline.com , a Free PDF Creation service
www.jwillans.freeserve.co.uk/st_andrews_cemetery_inscriptions.pdf

17 Sep 1970 - 325019 Lance Cpl W E Carver Durham Light Infantry 14th August ...... Erected by Duncan Wilson in loving memory of my dear father Revd.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Monday 03 November 14 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Sorry for late reply to your PM,but didn't rec usual mail from Roots to say that it was there - think A.O.L is playing up again. Having got, decided to try the Pay & Go ( pay as you go system that gives you 12 hits in 14 days on Ancestry, So first two -OK found one of wife's Huguenots and Thomas's Probate- for what it is worth 6 only £82 and he left that to John ( reckon rest was tied up in the business) - 3rd hit - not enough pre info for a 'Wilson' and no go Last hit of 4 was for Duncan Wilson's war record - another credit gone and all I got was a blank, black screen - they haven't changed  !!
Thank goodness for Rootschat, think I would have given up long ago with out their help.

Have however had a good one back from our Friends in Local Studies Sunderland, giving photos, one of his offices and other of one of his edifices, also fact that business was closed 1894/5 when J.T. took his retirement.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Monday 03 November 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
also fact that business was closed 1894/5 when J.T. took his retirement.

Hello John,

Aaah. So that straightens out the Harrogate mystery. Goughy was right. John did go there to take the waters for his health and that is why he was staying "in lodgings". Good going.

Cheers,
Westoe