Author Topic: Florence Brown 1899. Durham  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Florence Brown 1899. Durham
« on: Wednesday 12 March 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more about the family of  William F Brown, b. 1877 and Ann Brown b. 1879.
family were
Mabel Brown b.1898
Florence Brown b. 1899
Lily Brown b. 1901
Walter Brown b. 1903
William F Brown b.1905

Lily Brown married Elias MARSH at Auckland RD Mar qtr 1921 Vol 10a 42

In particular I am trying to find out about Florence, who I am fairly sure married a man called Sydney who probaly died in mid 1960s but can not find any record of their marriage. They remained childless but I believe that Sydney was somehow involved in road repair in the 1930s.

Assistance with anything pertaining to the above much appreciated.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Brown 1899. Durham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of Florence Brown marriages in Durham between 1918 -1932.  One in 1932 was to a Sydney Gibson - have you already discounted it?

It does pre-suppose she married in Durham and not another county (eg) Northumberland. 

Also - you are uncertain about her husbands christian name which makes tracing a marriage somewhat "dodgy" without more positive info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 18:38 GMT (UK) »
A Sydney C. Attrill married a potentially very young woman Florence Brown in the Easington area of County Durham, Sep. Qtr. 1915. Both on Free BMD and Durham Registrars Certificates.

The above marriage (Sydney Claude Attrill) is also available  on Durham Records Online, SCA's birth estimated about 1890.

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 March 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that CaroleW & Barryd

No I had not already discovered Carole's suggestion . In the light that I can't find anything else that fits well I would lay long odds that Sydney Gibson is the man we are looking for. Though I am not certain of spelling as some others that knew him wrote his name  Sid.

If I knew when  and where Sydney died it would  add cerntainty.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I looked for marriages under both Sidney and Sydney before posting details of the 1932 one.  If you check freebmd - there are no Florence Brown marriages to a Sidney

There are the following Sidney/Sydney Gibson deaths in Durham

Sydney

b 1873 died 1957
b 1899 d 1969

Sidney

b 1899 d 1985
b 1902 died 1992
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a breakthrough.
 I have made contact with a family relation who writes:

'I have spoken to my uncle and some of your questions are answered.

We think Elias Marsh  (on this tread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,597886.0.htm) worked at Roddymoor Colliery.

Lily ran a shop at the top of West End Villas, selling sweets, with Elias's brother, Fred.

Sid and Florrie lived at Corbrae, Todhills, just outside Byers Green.

Sidney died 7th August, 1970, aged 57. and is buried in Crook cemetery. His brother, Charles, who was close to him, died in 1984, aged 77.

As far as I know Lilly was the mother of Sid, Tom and Charlie. Incidentally I remember being told that my father was a bearer at Lily's funeral at the Salvation Army, and that it was hard work because she was a big woman!
(this seems it could be a myth or a mistake. I was under the impression that Lily died at Wokingham and Reading abt. the 1990s. There seems little reason that she would wish to be buried in the north as it is certain that she lived in  Berks and bucks between the post war years and the mid 1970s)
We don't know Florrie's maiden name. It would need a search for a marriage certificate - around 1935 onwards..

My uncle  says that his uncle Sid made his initial money demolishing ammunitions factories and dumps then working on disused railways after the Beeching cuts'.

There re many inconsistencies. Although,  I have spoken on the telephone with the uncle mentioned who is now over 80. From our conversation there is no doubt that much of the information may be correct, but there is a mix-up somewhere. Though he seems pretty sharp, he (or myself)  seem(s) to be under a misapprehension.  It seems that as far as it is possible to tell by records, Elias had no brother called Fred.

Apparently, Lilly had offered to adopt the uncle that gave me this info. It seems that such things were less formalised in former  years. I thought that Fred may have been  adopted, although I can't find  arecord of any such explanation.

I am bereft of ideas as to check any of the above out. Please could anyone else suggest a way forward in this matter ?
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
This is the only death that fits the info you give above so Brown was Florence's married name

Sydney Brown born 30 May 1913
Death reg   Sep 1970
Age    57
Durham Western 1a 1464

It would also mean she was 14yrs older than Sydney if she was b 1899

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
There is no Florence Brown/Sydney Brown marriage so the Florence who married Sydney Brown cannot be your Florence

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Brown 1899. Durham +
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
This marriage may fit and  my informant and myself  is /are mistaken in thinking  Florence, (Lily's sister) married Sidney

Hilda Phillips married Sidney Brown Apr-May-Jun 1938. Auckland, Durham

If that is so, why did Lily's son Ramsay  tell people that he worked 'on the roads' with his 'uncle Sid'? Perhaps Lilly was married before she married Elias and had a son called Fred.

According to Ramsay's airforce record he applied to join at Oxford in late 1942. In May 1943 he was undergoing RAF Aircrew Selection in London. His previous occupation was/is given as 'lorry driver' which could fit.

Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise