Author Topic: A warning on ages shown  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
A warning on ages shown
« on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
In my continued never ending research of all things Pembroke, I have just come across the baptism of a Anne Thomas who by my transcription of Monkton Parish registers was baptised on the 14 Oct 1855 the daughter of William & Elizabeth Thomas. William being a 'Pensioner'.
Turning to the 1861, I note William is aged 93 years old and Elizabeth his wife is 35 years old. My transcription of St Mary shows he was listed as 90 years old at his burial in 1863.
I found this all rather hard to believe, however further research reveals he was also reputed to be 104 years old at his demise, had been married 4 times, his last child (Anne above) was born in 1855. William had also served as a soldier at the Battle of Waterloo and at the age of 84 walked from Pembroke to London and back. 
So when you see on the Forum "Parents where to old to have children" or "there is a wild discrepancy in the age of bride and groom , let my initial scepticism and disbelief be a warning.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A warning on ages shown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
It does happen!   Note the mother was only 35.

My Billy Blue was 89 when his last child was born  :)  :)
One of Australia's Prime Ministers fathered a child at a great age.

Dawn M

Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)