Author Topic: coolnasilly - coolnasillagh ?  (Read 6319 times)

Offline fermanaghroots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: coolnasilly - coolnasillagh ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I don't think any burials took place at Ballagh.  They would have gone to the family graveyard, where ever that was. The burial records should be recorded at Sallaghy.

I believe the records for Sallaghy are all intact from the church was opened.  You would have to contact the church directly and request a viewing.  Or post what your looking for and maybe someone has already looked at that information.

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 December 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Sallaghy Church of Ireland Registers with baptisms, marriages & burials

C.I. Sallaghy (Clogher diocese), Available Registers in Local custordy.

Baptisms, 1857-1999; Marriages, 1845-1977; burials, 1884-1974

Records DESTROYED in 1922 Dublin Fire were: Baptisms 1841 – 1857,
Marriages 1842 - 1845 & Burials 1849 – 1884.

Additional information specific to Sallaghy:

In 1840 Sallaghy parish was created out of Galloon parish. In 1847 William Bredin became curate there. For reasons which are not exactly clear, he undertook to do his own census of his new parish. Reverend Bredin starred the census on Sallaghy Parish in 1840 but didn't finish it, as his wife became ill and died in 1849 leaving him with young children. The timing is not specific but believed to be 1850/1. Brian MacDonald has transcribed this census ('A Fermanagh Census') and it is published in The Clogher Record 1993 Vol XIV No 3 starting at page 77. If you cannot locate the Clogher Record anywhere else, Belfast City Library has copies.

Revd Bredin appears to have been the census enumerator (or to have accompanied the census enumerator) for that locality and while going about his work, he recorded details of families and landholding in the Sallaghy area, and he also noted the remaining townlands of Galloon, but with less detail unfortunately.

The published Sallaghy portion is copyright of Clogher Historical Society. Anyone wanting a copy of the census should contact Clogher Historical Society.

Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline johnforster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 December 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
KDDA / RUSTYSCUPP

thankyou. your help is much appreciated. it would be interesting to browse through the clogher record as it could well hold relevant information about my ancestors from that area.thanks also for the sallaghy p/h records information. i will contact the clogher historical society now. regards,
                                       john.