Author Topic: Peel/Peal - Tweed  (Read 7249 times)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Peel/Peal - Tweed
« on: Sunday 13 September 09 06:32 BST (UK) »
Morning all,
I have found a Robert Peal on the 1861 census in London, which may or may not be a very elusive gggrandfather! It states be was born about 1827 in Tweed, Berwickshire.

The only reference I have to my gggrandfather is the 1871 census which has him living with the family in Kent.  ( Here is listed as Frederick Peel born c 1826 in Belper, Derbyshire, a coachman.) That is where the trail began and ended! I have just received a death cert for a Robert Fred Peel who died ( 1876 aged 45) in Sandgate, where the family lived from 1871-1881) No wife recorded but his occupation is still listed as a coachman.
I have also found a Robert Peal in the 1861 census, living with Sarah Hutleys brother - also listed as a coachman. I have no record of any marriage to Sarah Hutley and the children appear to be registered under the mums maiden name, Hutley.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Peel/Peal - Tweed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,
I have been having a look for you but haven't got any further than you have.  Not that it helps much but I am sure that the census says 'Berwick on Tweed' which would be in Northumberland.
I'm sure you will have seen the 1841 census for Belper, Derbyshire which could be him with Rhoda Peel, 40. she was a Shoe Binder, not born in the county. Her children were all born in the county: Samuel, 15, Cotton Spinner; Robert, 13, Cotton Spinner; Richard, 6; Elizabeth 4; Edmund 10 months. No adult male in family.
Happy hunting!
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 09 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rae,
Thanks for the reply.
Robert states that he was born in Tweed, Berwickshire, Scotland. The Robert with Rhoda is the only one I can find on any of the censuses and I cannot follow it through to following years! Very frustrating! I think I should order the other childrens birth certificates and see if there is perhaps a fathers name on one of them!
Once again, thanks for your time and effort - it is a puzzle!
Ruth

Offline Qoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,
I am sorry I have only just seen your postings on this topic so I have now joined RootsChat!
A Frederick Peel born Belper about 1827 is also my gggrandfather he was married to Sarah and my ggrandfather was their son Henry, born about 1867.
I was told Frederick's widow emigrated to South Africa with Henry's brother Arthur, I think, together with Henry's first son Percival.
Could this be the same family? Could we be related?
David.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat David :)
Hopefully Ruth will soon be on-line

Hi Ruth,
Not sure how far you have got with this since 2009 and if you have concluded Rhoda was Robert Fredericks Mother. If so you may already have the below info;
Rhoda says she is born c 1797-1801, Ecclesfield,Yorkshire on Census entries.

Marriage;
14 April 1817, St Mary, Wirksworth, Derbyshire
William PEAL
Rhoda COLLEY
Witnesses, William COLLEY/Mary PEAL
(Source FreeREG)

Christening;
Rhoda COLLEY, 26 April 1801, Ecclesfield, Yorkshire
Father WILLIAM Colley

Cheers,
Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Wow David, hello. I have just checked my email after arriving in Aus to see my sisters. I have got no further with him but yes we are part of the south African connection. Sarah died in howick in 1904 I think. I have just fund their immigration records on the eggsa. Site. (S)orry typing on my  are you phone in bed). Are you related via memory who stayed in the UK. Fred, Arthur Lilian, my great gran and Ellen all ended up in Sa. Trish th anks for the reply. I do not have that info at all. Will send a proper reply when no the laptop.

(see also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=438638)

Offline Qoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 12 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth,
I don't know if any of my messages have got through to you in Australia yet so I will just tell you the basics.(I hope you are having a good time!)
My ggrandfather is Henry Peel born abt 1867 (I've never been able to find a birth certificate, your posts about the Hutleys could be why!). He married Sarah (another one!) Elcock, 10 Feb 1889.
I was told ( by my great uncle who was the last one to leave home) that Henry was about to emigrate to SA in 1890 with the rest of the family, but Sarah was due to have her first baby (another Frederick as it turned out!).She did not want the baby to be born on board ship or in Africa so Henry agreed to stay in England, so, a few generations later here I am!
His mother Sarah went with Athrur and his son by his first marriage Rose, who died in childbirth, Percival.
Have you ever found a Percival?
One other thing, I have found a reference in the 1841 census to a Frederick Peel born 1827 residing in 'Eton Union Eton' no place of birth, this is a workhouse I think. I haven't done any further research, have you? 
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes,
David.

Offline suelesterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 February 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I too am related to the PEEL family being directly descended from William PEEL and Rhoda COLLEY through their son Samuel. I live in the Derby area and didn't realise the family had spread so far. I would love to share information.
Regards
Sue
Harrison Derbyshire

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
My apologies, I did not see this reply. Do you have any details for the Robert that was the son of Rhoda Peel. I am still no further in my research except I have all the "Peel" childrens birth certs and their surnames are all Hutley. There are many Peels in south africa as they had big families!
Take care,
Ruth