Author Topic: Blackburn Burial  (Read 2778 times)

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Blackburn Burial
« on: Wednesday 19 February 14 03:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find where my great grandfather,Arthur Boulton, may be buried. He was living at 22 Canning St. Blackburn, when he died of TB, in Oct. 1905. He and the family were C.O.E. faith. What church or public cemetery would be nearest his home ? Would there be burial records online ?

Any help would be welcome.
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Blackburn Burial
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Try contacting the Lancashire Family History Society (FHS). FHSs are a valuable resource, often manned by volunteers, who will often do a free lookup.
Lancashire FH & HS
email:
    secretary [-- at --] lfhhs.org.uk
    www.lfhhs.org.uk
Victor

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Canning St in 1901 was in the Ecclesiastical parish of All Saints which apparently was demolished but it didn't have a graveyard...that's not much help and Canning St doesn't seem to be around now either!
All Saints was in the Nova Scotia area of Blackburn which shows up on the current map of Blackburn.
I thought maybe he could be buried in Blackburn Cemetery on Whalley New Road but there are no Boultons buried there(according to their website name search) but there are plenty of Boltons. I think you can get more info on the surname you are interested in by contacting them. Perhaps Boulton at the cemetery has been mistranscribed by them as Bolton. Might be worth a try even if just to eliminate that cemetery.

Another thought...do you know where Arthur's father is buried? Sometimes I have found there has been a family plot and ancestors have been buried miles from where they lived.

Genuki also list churches in Blackburn which have/did have cemeteries.
Rigby-Lathom, Freckleton,
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire
Butler- Greenhalgh, Lancs
Harrison - Garstang, Lancs

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be 4 C of E churches with grave yards listed by Genuki. All have records at Lancashire Record Office.
St John the Evangelist, Victoria St
St Marys (the cathedral)
St Pauls, St Paul St
StPeter, St Peters St

St Peters is covered on lancashire online parish clerk project- no burial for Arthur.
I doubt he was buried at the cathedral in 1905 so that just leaves St John the evangelist and St Pauls.
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
In 1905, I suspect he would have been buried at the Municipal cemetery on Whalley New Rd, Blackburn.

When you say that no Boultons are listed, according to there website -- are you talking about the 'Cemsearch' site perhaps? If you are, then that list has been compiled FROM GRAVESTONES ONLY. If he didn't have a gravestone -- he wouldn't be listed on that site -- but may still have been buried in the cemetery.

If you have a date of death -- try contacting the cemetery office itself. You may have to pay a small fee though, for them to provide information.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
June, yes I looked on the Cemsearch site..didn't realise the surnames were only from headstones. I hadn't seen this site before today. I agree June and, as I said previously, it may be worth contacting them just in case he was buried there, especially if the date of death is known.
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Cemsearch is actually a great site -- and you can purchase a list of all your chosen names -- it only used to cost £6.00 and you received the list in your in box almost by return. However -- it's nothing to do with the actual council -- it was a friendly, helpful couple who used to run it -- and probably still do.

You won't get the actual Memorial Inscriptions -- but the list does give details of everyone mentioned on the gravestones and their relationships and ages when shown.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor,GrannyM and June,
Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I shall contact the suggested churches to see if he can be located. At least it gives me a place to start looking. I doubt if the family had the money for a monument,so the grave would be unmarked.

If he's not buried in Blackburn,it's possible he's buried in Bolton,as an infant son was born and died there in 1900 - 1901. The family also had ties to Rochdale,so that's also a possibility.

Thank you all,again for the help.
Best wishes,
Nancy
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 February 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I would have expected him to have been buried at Blackburn Cemetery. Or less likely one of the others (ie. Pleasington).

Burial registers and grave registers for the cemeteries are on microfilm at Blackburn Library. Perhaps if you email them nicely they might do it for you. Maybe.

If you have a date of death it's the work of 10 minutes to look in the registers for the weeks or so afterwards. If you didn't have a date you can spend days going through pages and pages and pages. Not that I've done that or anything  ::)

As someone else pointed out - cemsearch records monumental inscriptions which is great if you don't want to waste time looking for a gravestone that isn't there.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.