Author Topic: EDMONDS Family Groups  (Read 4836 times)

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
EDMONDS Family Groups
« on: Tuesday 22 November 05 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Dear Members,

I noted the following on the sporting Heroes messages -

"Posted by: piedstilt  Posted on: 08 November 2005, 10:25:58 
Insert Quote 
Miss Edmonds is my kind of sporting hero
Ros

Posted by: lizdb  Posted on: 08 November 2005, 10:19:15 
Insert Quote 
On the Angmering village website there is a delightful report of the villages victory celebrations in 1918 - and a Harry Edmonds won the 'throwing the cricket ball', and a 'Miss Edmonds' the Ladies Egg and spoon race!!! "

I would be interested in making contact with/or the descendants of these famous Edmonds persons or any other EDMONDS'.

EDO
Bruce EDMONDS
Australia

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EDMONDS Family Groups
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 05 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

It was me who is an Edmonds researcher.
My brother and I have compiled (over many many years)a fairly comprehensive family Tree back to a James Edmonds marrying a Sarah Ead in 1713 in Slaugham, Sussex.  Most of the family centres around villages in Sussex, lots of Agricultural workers, several going to sea, one branch 'went up ' in the world and became grocers. one branch settled in Angmering for a few generations - hence my interest in the Angmering website and the mention of family members.

I notice you are in Austr.  I have no Bruce Edmonds in Austr on the tree. What are your roots? I guess when Surnames started to become established in the 13th century there were many who were sons of various people called Edmond, who took Edmonds as a surname but were not related. Thus not every Edmonds eventually goes back to the same root. But you never know - there may be a link somewhere further back!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 05 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lizbd,

Many thanks for your response.

I have been chasing my UK roots for many years without much success, so I am trying every avenue.

So far as I have gleaned my Great Grandfather George Gilbert EDMONDS was born in Wexford IRE bet. 1825 -1833.  He is buried near me in South Brisbane Cemetery.  He died in 1906.

His parents were said to be Richard Henry EDMONDS b c1890 and Catherine FURLONG b 7 April 1793 Wexford.

In posting on the NET I received, about 6 years' ago, an Email from a possible connection to a William EDMONDS b 1829 in Wexford, IRE.  I have his descendants.  But, I cannot find/confirm mine;  not even his emigration to Australia.  He married in Sydney in 1857.  There have been many red-herrings.   

His Death Certificate showed himself as his own father!
On a Certificate of one of his children, it shows him as being born in Kentucky USA.  I have reached a dead-end there.

He and his father have English forenames, not unusual for Wexford.  But, I believe there must be a link back to England, perhaps even back to your distant relations.

To explore every avenue, I had my male y-chromosome DNA tested in a Genographic program in an endeavour to find a link with EDMONDS Family Groups through GeneticDNA.

In fact, I have now become the World-wide voluntary Administrator of the newly formed EDMONDS/EDMUNDS DNA Project.

www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/e/edmonds/

I have found that I am from a 'rare'  "G" haplotype group.  It puts my ancestors into the Eastern Turkey / Afghanistan / Indus Valley areas!  Quite an unexpected result.

This new dimension in Genetic Genealogy has produced some surprising outcomes.  It has become recognised in Universities world-wide as the giant step forward to establish pre-surname relationships.  It also assists greatly in establishing / confirming post-surname inter-continental relationships, particularly where the paper-trail, like mine, has broken down.

The records of Wexford for the relevant times no longer exist according to the Dublin Archives.  I have to rely on family sources or GeneticDNA to take my research further.

This is the reason why I have become so interested in the project.

Possibly, some of your family are mentioned on the site.  If not, I would like to list your earliest ancestors up to b1910.

Also, you may have a male member of your family who is interested in doing a simple DNA test.  Where did your pre-Briton pre-surname ancestors originate?

Please keep in touch ....

Sincerely

Bruce EDMONDS
Brisbane

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 March 06 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce
         I am an Edmonds who is trying to find my "Edmonds". I have John Joseph Edmonds born Nov 1840 somewhere in England. On his death certificate ( not totally reliable) it says his father was John Edmonds and mother Mary Newland. There are sooo many Johns who married Marys lol. John J came to the US somewhere between late 1860s and 1870. John J was also listed on every US census as a baker. As far as i can validate he lived in NYC, NY from 1870 till he died in 1908. He was married to Mary (Kingsley??) till 1880 when she died in childbirth, then approx 8 years later he married another Mary. Anything ring a bell? I've searched LDS, and BDM index online but I still can't find a fit..grrrrr
lol...............
                                 Soopy
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 March 06 09:49 GMT (UK) »
I have looked through the birth indexes for 1840 and 1841 , but no John Joseph Edmonds or Edmunds.
(several just John or just Joseph)
Where did the d-o-b come from? Is Nov 1840 accurate or shall I look a few more years either side? Was he consiistantly John Joseph? It looks like either the date or name are incorrect.

Did he marry the Mary in England? (his first marriage, who died in 1880, presumably in US)  If so have you an approx date and I'll try looking for that.

It is an annoying trait of Edmonds' all to be named John or James and all to marry Mary's, Ann's or Sarah's!!!!!!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 March 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   It is a family fact (as far as I know) that he was John Joseph. He is listed on some census as that and on his death cert as John J. . As far as his age....on census that has year it says 1840, his death cert also says he was 68 years in 1908 when he died. I am soooo confused with him. On some on the census tho it says he is older by 10 years...then b 1830....and I really have no def proof it is him other then he lived on the same street in NYC, or the immed area and was listed as a baker, and had the correct wifes name, and son and age. As far as where he married Mary K , ????? but her death cert says she was from Troy NY, and came to NYC in 1860. As far as locating HER family LOL..Grrrrrrr. Johns son - my grandfather left home at 11 in 1880, I'm assuming after the death of his mother. And family info was not forthcoming. Problems I assume. My prob is I have info but as far as totally trusting it? Im not sure. Rumor was too name was poss spelt differently in England......Oh that helps!!! lol Another hurdle! lol John also listed on 1900 census his year of immigration was 1870..........yet William was born in 1869??? hmmmmm These Edmonds are a bit fishy! lol And I haven't been able yet to locate his birth cert. Fun huh?
   Thnx for looking for me...Im really confused......but I keep digging. Can't complain tho....in just the last year I have found more info then I was originally given......Thnx
                                      Soopy
Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 March 06 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Wow! you sure sound confused!!

My advise, for what it is worth, is to be very methodical.Start with what you know for sure, what you have proof of in the form of certificates etc, and then move slowly on from there one step at a time, confirming each step with certificates, census etc as you go.
Family rumours have a habit of having some truth in them, but often not exactly correct!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 March 06 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Soopy,

These pages might assist -

I have now become the World-wide voluntary Administrator of the newly formed EDMONDS/EDMUNDS DNA Project.

www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/e/edmonds/pats/

Good luck in your research,

EDO

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 May 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've only just come across this posting and was wondering if anyone might have stumbled upon *my* little EDMONDS family group.
I'm looking for any UK birth of marriage references for John & Sarah EDMONDS and their children, who emigrated to Victoria, Australia in Jan 1853.

John born abt. 1818 and Sarah born abt. 1814.
They were accompanied by 4 children.
Frances EDMONDS b. abt 1839
James EDMONDS b. abt 1842
John EDMONDS b. abt 1844
William EDMONDS b. abt 1847.

Family fable says that they came from Middlesex, but i have not found any corroborating information as yet.

best wishes
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus