Author Topic: Burials in Cheshire (or not?)c1790  (Read 2475 times)

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Burials in Cheshire (or not?)c1790
« on: Saturday 13 December 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color][/size][/font]

Having spent some time looking at Parish Registers for a burial, in the belief that everyone is buried! I am still looking for a couple of people.

The first is a Richard Massey, a farmer of Ollerton near Knutsford, baptised at Rostherne in 1736, married at Sandbach by license, and still? alive at the burial of his wife Sarah Cherry at St Johns Knutsford, in 1775.

Also his daughter Sophia Massey baptised at Mobberley in 1764.(marriage or burial)?

I have had the registers at Rostherne, Knutsford and Mobberley. checked by the CRO. without success.  Mainly because there are lots of transcription errors on the name in the on line entries-

Molloy, Masfey etc.

Richards wife died when he was 40, and he had been farming at Ollerton for at least 15 years. There were no small children that would have necessitated  a new wife urgently....the youngest Thomas about 7. The elder girls  15+ .

I cannot think what other options there are for me to find further information on Richard after this date.
I think.... his elder daughter Betty died at Ollerton in 1779, when presumably he was still there.

I have had help from associates looking for the burial, but we have no idea now, how to pursue this burial.

any new suggestions gratefully received :-\.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Cheshire (or not?)c1790
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 December 14 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The only Richard of the right age, who I can find, was buried in Ashton-on-Mersey in 1813 (born 1737)
His abode was given as Sale.

David

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 14 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Yes thats one I found too. But he has family that predates him, and so doesn't fit.

I found a baptism record for Sophia at Mobberley, but it was listed as Molloy, so i suspect my Richard is there somewhere in the records also with a mis indexed name.

The most accurate index is the Cheshire -University of Liverpool site, but unfortunately that is only one third complete. I may be beyond searching when they have done all the parishes! :)

What I cannot get to is the  land tax register for Ollerton, which may have shown him as a tenant.- up to his death? I don't know when that started and if such records exist somewhere.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for a Will for Richard Massey? Since he was a farmer, ir is probable that he would have made a Will as he would have had assets to bequeath.

I did a search on the Cheshire Wills database and found an entry for a Richard Cranfield Massey, abode: Stockport, Occupation: Esq. Year: 1780.

I am not that familiar with the area and don't know if it is possible Stockport would be the right place.

Whilst looking at the entries on the database, I noticed that there were various people by the name of Massey shown having abodes in Ollerton, Rostherne and Mobberley.

http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/RecordOfficeWillEPayments/results.aspx?srch=basic&fn=&sur=massey&ab=&occ=&sy=1770&ey=1820&before=&after=&wills=&adm=&inv=&cod=&sort=Surname&page=0

http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/RecordOfficeWillEPayments/search.aspx

The other source which may yield some clues could be the Tithe Maps. I don't know if you have tried these:

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/

A search on Massey showed there were 37 pages in total!

Jo.

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your advice.

I reckon as Richard was baptised in 1736, he will be dead by at least 1836, so that narrows the possible records avaiable.
The tithe map whilst being great doesn't start on line until after this date, I don't know if earlier ones are available elsewhere.

I have a couple of wills from this period one is a John Massey of Ollerton who died 1801, who appears to be another branch. His mother is Hannah Massey a widow of Peover at this date, his sister is Ellen Ward, wife of William Ward of Buxton, Ostler.
The executors are Josiah Potts , Gent. and John Dale, schoolmaster of Ollerton.

I suppose in 1801 for Ollerton to have a school must indicate that the was a larger community than I had supposed. Unless they all  travelled in from surrounding areas?

I am not sure who was the main  landowner at this point. Later the small plots were taken over by larger landowners, to make larger estates, I understand. Though there appears to have been but a manor hall, and a manor farm for some time.. Much enlarged later.

Interestingly the burial coast were paid for by the contributions  he had made to The George Club, Knutsford. The public house I suppose.

The witnesses were John Lawrence of Birmingham, and Samuel Taylor of Peover, Farmer.
Its just knowing where to look for further information.....