Author Topic: Maiden name of Mary Ann ALLEN/BEARFOOT, born 1794 Sheerness, Kent?  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maiden name of Mary Ann ALLEN/BEARFOOT, born 1794 Sheerness, Kent?
« on: Wednesday 21 May 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I wonder if anyone could find the maiden name of Mary Ann (sometimes just Mary) who was married to William Thomas ALLEN (mariner, m.before 1815), then after his death in 1827, to John Edwin BEARFOOT (carpenter, m.1830 or 1836)?

From census records she was born ~1794 in Sheerness, Kent, and from the Kentish Gazette, she died on 25 Jan 1860.

I believe she is the mother of;
William Thomas Allen b.1815, Queensborough, Kent
Mary Ann Allen b.1818, Portsmouth, Hampshire
Henry Allen b.1821, Portsmouth, Hampshire
Richard Allen b.1825, Woolwich, Kent
Eliza Louisa Allen b.1827, Woolwich, Kent
Edwin Bearfoot b.1831, Woolwich, Kent
John Edwin Bearfoot b.1837, Woolwich, Kent

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Zep
Kilgallon, McCran, Ochiltree, Denholm, Fortune, Nicol, Langdon, Smith, Bolger, Connell, Sullivan, Lourey, Primmer, Charles, Johnson, McGrath, Daley, Hughes, Stodart, Tweedie, Bell, Dunn, Anderson | Webster, Gregg, McConnel, Farrelly, Farnham, Bellchambers, Davey, Ashbolt, Dibel, Schrodt, Woodmansee, Seabrook

Offline scintilla

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name of Mary Ann ALLEN/BEARFOOT, born 1794 Sheerness, Kent?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
From Minster (Sheppey) parish register transcriptions this is about the only one that may fit;
07 Nov 1810 William ALLEN bachelor of this parish married Mary or Elizabeth DONALDSON - -by Banns
Witnesses William L....., St Rouse Sn
Obviously there is some legibility problems with the register and some name confusion.

I checked Queenborough as well, but no suitable marriage. The baptism you refer to in 1815 is;
1815 24 Mar Wm. Thomas Son of William Thomas and Mary ALLEN of Queenborough, born 04 Mar (Father - Mariner)
No other suitable Queenborough baptisms.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 May 14 14:39 BST (UK) »
John BEARFOOT, Bachelor, Married Mary Ann ALLEN, Widow, 10 July 1836, St Nicholas, Deptford, Kent
Witnesses, George Wicher/John Syms
(Source FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 May 14 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hello scintilla and trish - she is a very tricky one to trace - but thank you for your efforts.

Regards
Zep
Kilgallon, McCran, Ochiltree, Denholm, Fortune, Nicol, Langdon, Smith, Bolger, Connell, Sullivan, Lourey, Primmer, Charles, Johnson, McGrath, Daley, Hughes, Stodart, Tweedie, Bell, Dunn, Anderson | Webster, Gregg, McConnel, Farrelly, Farnham, Bellchambers, Davey, Ashbolt, Dibel, Schrodt, Woodmansee, Seabrook

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 June 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this thread, whilst searching for a previous thread of mine, which I still have not found!

My husband's 2G grandfather was the William Thomas Allen born and baptised 1815 in Queensborough, Kent.  I have Henry Allen as his brother, but not the other siblings, I will have to do some further research.

Pity that John Edwin Bearfoot was not born a few months later, to get his MMN.

Would love to swap notes if you are interested, I think you have discovered more about the family than I have been able to find.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 June 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
deleted.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 June 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
?? Trish
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 June 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
Now this is slightly more distant but maybe worth considering.

A marriage at Gillingham as follows,

1812 Dec 14 William Thomas Allen and Mary Whitehead, by Banns

Then back to the Isle of Sheppey, there is this baptism, at Minster,

1793 Nov 3 Mary Ann d/o Richard & Sarah Whitehead

The transcription I have says, Sarah but I suspect the mother's name was Susannah.  There are eight other baptisms to Richard and Susannah, surrounding Mary Ann's.  One of these noted that the family was resident at the Red House.  I believe this stands between Minster and Sheerness.

Tony  ???

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 June 17 02:22 BST (UK) »
Tony, I think you may have cracked it.

William Thomas Allen snr was possibly born 1790 in Gillingham, Kent. A known brother, Benjamin Allen, was born in Chatham, Kent, in 1794. However, it was often the case that the marriage would occur in the bride's parish, then move to the groom's parish.  This would appear to be the other way round, with first known child, WTA jnr being born in Queenborough.

Since finding this post the other day I have looked further into Zep's findings and would agree with her, so I am very pleased to have found out what happened to WTA snr and wife Mary Ann, now to have a possible surname and parentage for Mary Ann is excellent.

Thank you very much for food for thought

Margaret  :D