Author Topic: John Samuel Ridgeon Census confusion  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Vicki Morley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Samuel Ridgeon Census confusion
« on: Sunday 17 August 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
I havent been on here for a while but I am back on the family tree with a vengence (and once you start, you cant stop!).

John Samuel Ridgeon was born approx 1861, his mother was Adelaide Ridgeon (nee Wilson).  I have him on the 1871, 1881 and 1901 censuses (censii?).  Each time he is living with Adelaide and various different siblings and each time he is listed as "single".  I am a bit stuck for the 1891 census as I cant find a "single" John.

I can find a John Ridgeon living with a spouse, Louisa (bn London) in 1891 with some children. 

1911 census John Ridgeon is with wife Louisa (bn London) with children.  Clearly these two Johns are the same person.

The 1901 census shows my John with his mother and he is single.  However there is another 1901 census showing a John Ridgeon with wife Louisa and children.   Is it at all possible for a person to be recorded twice on one census night?    The age of 1901 John living with mother is 48 which does seem a little old compared to other records, but I often find discrepancies with ages. 

The alternative could be that John with Adelaide wasnt actually her son but she said so to avoid any possible embarassment or gossip.  I dont know!

Im not asking anyone to do any investigating for me, Im just thinking out loud and wondered if anyone had an opinion.  This is all set in Bury St Edmunds by the way.
Leicestershire -Morley
Suffolk - Petch, Prigg, Ridgeon

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Samuel Ridgeon Census confusion
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
From freebmd

Marriages June qtr 1883   
Louisa Goodfellow/Samuel John Ridgeon Bury St. E.  4a   810
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Samuel Ridgeon Census confusion
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
Can you post the 1901 reference for Adelaide please as I can't find the entry

RG13  piece/folio/page
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)