Author Topic: William Carroll Lord Mayor of Dublin (1819-1890)  (Read 20118 times)

Offline TonyF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Carroll Lord Mayor of Dublin (1819-1890)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
AgnesV

Further on this topic I have been looking through the following site -  churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

Found a marriage for William CARROLL  and Margaret PEARSON on 2 December 1843 in the Parish/Church/Congregation - St Andrew, Dublin. Sponsor was Syoney (sic) PEARSON - see Pearson Berkeley below

Then found the baptism of Patrick Stanislaus CARROLL whom I mentioned in a previous post being married in NSW Oz.

Patrick Hanislaus (sic) Carroll of 31 Stephens Green in 1860. Father: William CARROLL, Mother: Margaret Eliza PEARSON.

Decided to dig a bit deeper and came up with
.   Henrietta Clara CARROLL in 1850 at St Andrew.    Sponsor was Sidney PEARSON

.   William Joseph CARROLL baptised in 1854 at St Andrew             

.   PEARSON Berkeley CARROLL in 1857 at St Andrew   ------ Could this be a son 'named' after the mother.  Also the Sponsor1 was John SIMON ------ the same as the first born son. Sponsor2 was Catharine Letitia CARROLL - there is a baptism in 1826 for a Catharinam Letitiam PEARSON (latinised!)  whose parents were John PEARSON and Sydney Unknown.      Are these just coincidences???

regards

FitzPatrick of Dublin
Giltinan of Cork
Price of Crickhowell (1815-1845)
Rowe of Somerset/Abersychan/Durham

Offline AgnesV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Tony F
Back to the Fitz patricks. I have a photo in my gran's journal and on the back is written 'Kate Morrissey{formerly O'Farrell, born Fitzpatrick} sister of M.E.Carroll. This would make her  another sister to your great-grandfather. Does this help?
My grandfather also from Ireland, was in the Volunteers Veterinary Corps in the Brtiish /Boer war in South Africa. In a letter to my Gran
, dated 1st March 1900, postmark 12 April 1900 and addressed to 25 Gardiner's Place Dublin he asks her to give his kindest regards to Mrs Fitzpatrick. I believe this was her grandmother as I found reference to my gran in the 1901 census and she was boarding with a Rita Carroll and  Mrs Fitzpatrick aged 79. will have to check that address  again. There is also a photo headed Gardiners place, a four storey building. 
 regards Agnes V

Offline AgnesV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
TonyF
  When I found reference to my grandmother aged 20 in the 1901 census the address shows her living as a boarder at house 37 Kildare Street. There was also Rita Carroll  25,who could be  a sister Margaret Mary, as my aunt was Margaret Mary Olivia, called Rita by us all and a Mrs Fitzpatrick 79, who could be the one  referred to in the letter .   

Agnes V

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony F,  John S Carroll and Mary Elizabeth Carroll nee Fitz patrick were my Grandmother,  Mary Gertrude Carroll"s parents. I have recently obtained a copy of her birth certificate.  We have wondered why my grandmother never  spoke of her family and now know how her mother died. My aunt , daughter of Mary Gertrude, was Mary Elizabeth , known as Maimie and My father had Fitzpatrick as one of his names. John S was a city marshall and the address on the birth certificate was 50 Rutland Square W, Dublin.
 I have two photos of, I think , my fathers' Fitzpatrick great grandparents. I am looking for a reference. Also some pictures in my grandmothers journal are unidentified.
 Donnamariacarlin sent me information about the Carroll family which I am busy tying up with my information. This also relates to the Australian family.
 There is quite a bit to sort through!
 regards AgnesV

Hi Agnes,

I am in the process of doing my family tree my great grandmother was Mary Anne Carroll the address on her birthcert is 50 Rutland Square, her fathers name is Owen Carroll and the address he gives on her sister Bridget's marriage cert in 1923 is also 50 Rutland Sq although Owen is marked as deceased at this time.

Do you think we are connected in some way?  I would love if you had more information and could send me a copy of the photos you have?

Thanks,
Jess
Researching Shiels/McGrane/Kelly/Carroll/Adamson/McGrane family history

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 09:21 BST (UK) »
danadavkins,
Re the Rev Jame Hourigan have you checked the New York papers at -
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
The search key "Rev James Hourigan" and "the exact phrase" (drop down menu) delivers 9 hits - including a photograph)   

Offline Timmol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 October 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
For Donna Maria

I was very interested to read that you are writing a biography of Sir William Carroll. I am doing research on William Bulfin, whose relative, Patrick Bulfin, married a daughter of Sir William and subsequently became Lord Mayor himself. I wonder could you help me with any details of Patrick Bulfin's marriage? Thank you and good luck with your biography.

Timmol

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Timmol,
A very warm welcome to Rootschat.

The marriage notice appeared in Freeman's Journal, 26 Jan 1855 -
"MARRIED - January 24, at Sandypoint Catholic Church, by the Very Rev Doctor O'Donnell, P P, Mr Patrick Bulfin to Miss Theresa Carroll, daughter of John Carroll, both of this city."

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Timmol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 October 14 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both who have replied. The material should be useful, though I note that Theresa Carroll is described as 'daughter of John', not William Carroll. I am still interested in knowing more about Patrick Bulfin - he seems to have emerged from relative provincial obscurity to become Lord Mayor of Dublin. Was he lucky enough to marry a daughter of Sir William, or was there more to his history? Donna Maria, I feel sure, will know more.

Timmol