Author Topic: Mary Jane Long, born, 1779-1780, Chard  (Read 3201 times)

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Jane Long, born, 1779-1780, Chard
« on: Monday 29 September 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
I am looking for descendants of Mary Jane Long, born 1779-1780, Chard.  One census states Tatsworth which is 2 miles south of Chard.  She was daughter of William Diment Long and Mary Jane Turner, dau. Arthur Turner.  William and Mary married  Apr. 3, 1879 Combe St. Nicholas.  Mary was in St. Albans, as a servant, in 1901 Hertfordshire census.  Her father, William Diment Long immigrated to USA in 1910.  It is not known if Mary Jane immigrated also.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Long, born, 1779-1780, Chard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 15 04:57 GMT (UK) »
I think it advisable to amend this subject with the relevant birth year as the family unit can be found in 1881 at South Chard RG11/3286 folio 139 page 37, when the child is recorded aged 1 year and her father a Retired Dairyman born Dorset, Chardstock.

From FreeBMD it appears Mary Jane's birth was registered in the June Quarter 1880 Chard 5c 442.

It appears feasible that she married Walter Alfred HEWITT in the March Quarter 1902 at St Albans 3a 883 but was widowed before 1911:

FreeBMD Deaths Sep 1904   HEWITT Walter Alfred aged 30    Hatfield    3a   426

I can only suggest that you pursue emigration records and passenger lists for a Mary Jane HEWITT, widow, either travelling alone or perhaps accompanied by child[ren]?

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for your information.  Since I posted my query, I have located additional information.  Mary Jane Long was born Mar. 12, 1880 Chard Somersetshire.  She married Walter Alfred Hewitt as you stated.  They had a son, John William Hewitt, christened Oct. 25, 1903, at St.Mark's Hatfield, Hertford, England.  She remarried in England to a man, surnamed Pidgeon.  I have not been able to locate this marriage, however, she emigrated on the ship, Mauretania, that departed Southampton, and arrived in New York City, New York on May 16, 1920, as Mary Jane Pidgeon with stated last place of residence Banstead, England.  In the 1940 Cedar Rapids, IA. census, she is listed with her son, John W. Hewitt, age 36, and her son, Alfred W. Pidgeon, age 25 stated birthplace, England.  Mary Jane Pidgeon died Mar. 8, 1973 in Cedar Rapids, IA.  I am still interested in finding descendants of Mary Jane (Long) Hewitt Pidgeon, daughter of William Diment Long and Mary Jane Turner.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi in case this is the missing marriage:-

Mary J HEWITT to Alfred A Pidgeon Sept qtr 1913 Chelsea 1a 967

Well looking at the actual marriage Mary Jane was 34 was a Widow and had a father William Diment Long
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 23:11 GMT (UK) »
This is the parish record of that marriage:-

Alfred Allen Pidgeon 25 occ Painter residing 57, Christchurch Street Father William Henry Pidgeon occ House Painter
Mary Jane Hewitt 34 Widow residing Castle Bromwich Hall, Birmingham Father William Diment Long occ Farmer
Witnesses Henry Thomas Pidgeon and Ellen Martha Hewitt
5th July 1913 Christ Church, Chelsea
Keyboard86

PS the birth of Alfred W Pidgeon was June qtr 1914 Epsom 2a 40 Mothers maiden name Long

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I found an obituary for Mary Jane in the Cedar Rapids Gazette, and the only survivor mentioned was son Alfred.  I found an obituary for Alfred's wife, and no children were mentioned.  I could only see a snippet, but John Hewitt's obituary only seems to mention his mother and brother Alfred.

Burials for the family can be seen here - http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/Mary-Jane-Pidgeon/10704317

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, wondered about Alfred Allen Pidgeon:-

Alfred Allen Pidgeon Private Service No: 245188 2nd (City of London) Battalion ( Royal Fusiliers) Birth Place Chelsea Residence Banstead Killed in action 26th October 1917 France & Flanders
Formerly 7655 5th Bedford Regiment

From the Commonwealth War Graves Commision Site his Grave/Memorial is Panel 148-150 Tyne Cot Memorial
Keyboard86

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  What a lot of information fast.  To complete the family, Alfred W. Pidgeon died Apr. 4, 1990 in Southeast Florida, U. S.  His wife, Bernice McGrane was born in Missouri in 1913.  She was daughter of John and Mayme McGrane.  Alfred W. Pidgeon had two daughters, Susan, married name Engblom, and Nancy, married name Emmendorfer.  Obit. St. Petersburg Times, Florida.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, a probate for Walter Alfred Hewitt:-

Walter Alfred Hewitt of "Woodside" Hatfield, Hertfordshire died 7th September 1904 Probate London 28th September to Mary Jane Hewitt Widow Effects £158 5s

Keyboard86