Author Topic: Mariner Help!!  (Read 8573 times)

Offline nickspud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner Help!!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 July 08 18:05 BST (UK) »
That is a very detailed and complete answer.  Should keep me busy!

Thanks chris

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sirius 9 light years away,same as ancestors Doh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 July 08 17:30 BST (UK) »

Hi Boltonmets,

Had a reply from NA about the Callison's or Calleson's in BT114/4.

"Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to locate
 the requested material within the specified document."

Drat! foiled again.

Regards

Sirius
Callison Callesen Calleson

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 July 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
Chris
Back to your question ;) Its a bit difficult trying to read with my head on one side ;D ;D but in the first home voyage report. I cant read the first words but the bottom is or looks like Zueba 10/7/45 what do you think :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 July 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Chris

I think the column for 1845 says he "joined at Quebec" on the return voyage of the ship. (the name of the ship apparently requires you to look through the shipping for the port of Penzance (the #77) for which it is rotation number 67)....I THINK

He then returns on another ship, registed in Maryport (#112 in a number of the other entries). on this voyage in 1847 I think he is only on the outward (from UK) voyage and I think the notation says he disembarks at St John's. On this voyage he is a Cook (Ck) and seaman (S).

In the 1848 voyages (two) he is a cook.

This is my interpretation of the info based on the Watts book mentioned above but I am certainly not an expert and someone more familiar with these records may come up with better info.

you may already have worked this out -and more besides.

Cheers

Pauleen
McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 July 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Celia for your reply.

I do think it says Zueba 10/7/45 but I have no idea what that means. I have googled it, tried to see if it is a place or a registered boat but with no luck!!
Any ideas what it could refer to?

Thanks also to Pauleen,

I have now worked out what some of the numbers refer to. E.g The 1845 voyage
Out: 11 Is Berwick and In: 112 is Maryport.
Also Out: 12 is Bideford In is 45 Grangemouth etc

However this does not give me the ships name only the voyage it took.
The numbers underneath e.g. 07772 and 87149 are what I do not understand!!

Also It says "........... at Zueba 10/7/45". What does that refer to?
Also on the1847 journey what does ".......... at St Johns 18/8/47" refer to as part of the out journey?

I dont think it says Quebec and the IN/Out Ports recorded numbers through out the record are all in the British Isles.
I am not sure that the record gives me any information about the boats he travelled on!! That is what I really wanted to find out.!! Typical!!!

When you say he is a cook on the 1848 voyages you are referring to the CK at the top of the page i presume. And the S (Sailor) at the top of the other journeys. Thanks for that.

Thanks for looking at the record for me. At least some help has come from showing it.

I have now tried to get earlier records BT112 - Register of Seamen series ll 1835-1844. It says you need to search BT 119 to get a reference number in order to access BT112. I requested Stephen Richardson in the BT 119 and he wasn't found!!!

Unsure where to look next in order to find any of the elusive ships he travelled on!!!

Thanks

Chris

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 July 08 22:40 BST (UK) »
I thought stephen might be on the I.G.I There are there are a few in Cumberland but not in Keswick.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 July 08 23:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Celia,

I have him on the IGI: 27 AUG 1797 Crosthwaite, Cumberland, England
Keswick is in Crosthwaite I think. The DOB matches his record perfectly!!!

Cheers

Chris

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Will have to agree to disagree re Quebec...it fits with "joined at Quebec" & "disembarked at St John's" (Newfoundland) on the next. These are foreign voyages based on the formats so it looks like they've been sailing to Canada and back to the UK

I will look up my Watts book again re the codes. My understanding is that you have to go through the batches at the National Archives until you find the right rotation number which will give you a crew list and of course include the ship's name.

Yes that is where I got the cook & seaman from.

Will get back wth more later. I strongly recommend you find a library with a copy of the Watts book -it is really essential for understanding what it all means and where to from there. ALso the National Archives (UK) site has very good guides on this topic and is more readily accessible as they are online.

Some BT series can be ordered in from the LDS libraries but some can only be found through the archives

Cheers

Pauleen
McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

This is the National Archives guide which should be helpful in understanding these records.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=330

It seems to me that the top line 11-112 12-45 indicates a ship from Maryport which sailed in the home ports covering the six months to Dec 1845. To find the crew list you need to go to the BT 98 batch for Maryport in 1845 until you find #11. THis should give the crew list (LDS Church has BT 98 I believe) Similarly Maryport batch 94 in 1847

The lines below follow more the format of the foreign voyages, by my understanding. Perhaps he sailed from Quebec to England then did home voyages for a while, including 1847 before returning to St John's in 1847.

The 1845 entry looks to me like
Joined at Quebec (as debated)

In this instance the #77 refers to the ship's port of registration ie Penzance. Based on the bottom line it sailed from port 87 (St Ives), sailing about 14 Sept 1845.

Hence all boxes for Penzance need to be searched to find the one with ref #67.77.2

As I have never pursued one of these down to port level there may be someone far better qualified to offer advice.

Pauleen