Author Topic: Claypole mill/Aaron Baker 1793-1874  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Bagsypenang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Claypole mill/Aaron Baker 1793-1874
« on: Tuesday 12 July 11 04:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out some information on Claypole Mill around 1800 -1825
Was it a water mill or a wind mill? My x3 Great Grand Father Aaron Baker worked/lived there as a miller ‘I believe’ and his first son William was born there in 1819. My main aim is to trace x3 GGF Aaron Baker’s parents. Perhaps his father also lived/worked in the mill and documents could still exist which lists past tenants of the mill, or even a photograph which I could view.
I think Aaron’s parents “could” be Aaron Baker 1757-1836 & Susannah Rose 1767-1805! Who married in St Botolphs Lincoln 14th of May 1788. But I cannot find any Christening for Aaron 1793 to link them together, there are other children  to Aaron senior and Susannah listed. I would appreciate if anyone can assist me as I seem to have come to a dead end trying to get further back on my family tree.
Thank you
Regards
Peter. Penang Malaysia.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Claypole mill/Aaron Baker 1793-1874
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 08:13 BST (UK) »
Map http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=484170,347945

Select (on right) 1887 Lincs 1:2500 map.

The wiggly line of trees shows where the mill stream once was - I wonder if that's the old mill building :) http://tinyurl.com/68orh2l

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Bagsypenang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Geoff-E. when you zoom in it shows a water mill building. Now I have to find out if that was the mill my x3 GGF worked/lived in or if there is another "wind mill" also at Claypole during his time 1815-1820 period.
Thanks again. Peter

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 10:01 BST (UK) »
My knowledge of milling is approximately nil, but if there were water power available, building a windmill would seem to be an expensive option.

Offline Alan7636

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Following in my ancestor’s footsteps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
If you carry out a search of Claypole Mill on Lincs to the Past   http://www.lincstothepast.com/ it brings up quite alot of informationand interestingly it gives details of two mills one of which was a Flax mill dating back to the 17century but later be a corn mill and this may be the one situated on the stream.

There is also information regarding a 4 sail post mill that was burnt down in the 1970's.

Alan
Hogan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Maddigan (Lambeth, Southwark, Ireland)
Masters (Lewisham, St Pancras, Clerkenwell)
Knowles (Salford, Manchester)
Farrow (Staffordshire, Manchester)
Atkinson (Lincolnshire)
Ball (Lincolnshire, Rutland)
Hicks (Lincolnshire)
Wheatley (Lincolnshire)
Pearson (Lancashire, Cheshire, Pawtucket USA)
Wilson (Yorkshire)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bagsypenang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan, It is a good website. Now I have 2 mills one water and one wind  [and a possible further wind mill] that could have stood around the time my x3 GGF Aaron Baker lived/worked there. Of cause now I have no idea which of the mills he stayed in. Perhaps I will have to go back to the Family History researcher who gave me the  Baptisms details  source LA OPRs mfc OCT 1817-1823. This gives his first son being Baptised in Claypole lincs 16 AUG 1818/parents Aaron-Mary/ Baker/ Residence Claypole mill. Perhaps I can find out a more detailed location or perhaps at that time there was only one mill standing. The search goes on.
Thanks again Alan & Geoff for you help
Regards
Peter

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 13:40 BST (UK) »
I guess you have now seen the Claypole baptism records yourself ... if not look here
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Baptisms/558174.record?ImageId=130903&pt=T

Interesting to note
16 Aug 1813 SUTTON of Claypole Mill (Wheelwright)
26 Dec 1813 HARDY twins of Claypole Mill (Book-keeper)
14 Jan 1814 ATKINSON of Claypole Mill (Blacksmith)
13 June 1814 MABBOT of Claypole Mill (Flax-dresser)
13 June 1814 SESSIONS of Claypole Mill (Weaver)
14 Aug 1814 WELLBON of Claypole Mill (Heckler?)
16 Oct 1814 HARRISON of Claypole Mill (Bleacher)
etc

Interesting that the BAKER entry you mention gives no occupation ???

Anyway, it seems there was a place/area called Claypole Mill where lots of people lived and worked.  Some of the occupations certainly suggest (as Alan mentioned) Flax.

To add a further twist to proceedings, on the First Edition OS map, what we are now calling the "Water Mill" is shown as "Cotton Mill" :)

Offline Bagsypenang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Geoff. You are right, I had not seen it before, but it does not state Baker Aaron's profession. I always assumed he was a miller, as later when he moved to Hull York's he is a listed as a corn dealer. Not sure what road to take now. Profession at mill not registered / his birth baptisms not registered / but everything after he left lincolnshire around 1820 to Hull yorkshire , I can trace children/further marriage and his death. Only his birth/ Early life in Lincolnshire /parents is were I reach a dead end.
Thank you for your help once again I will keep on searching.
Best regards
Peter

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 July 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I have looked in a Claypole folder in Grantham Library today and found an article compiled by Malcolm G Knapp (who incidentally was in the library)our local historian information from "Lincolnshire History and Archaeology Vol.14.1979"Headed Claypole  A Former Flax Mill.(Grid Ref.SK842480) J.A.Sass.

There is a picture taken 1955 before tailrace filled in.The mill is situated on the eastern bank of the River Witham at the extreme southern end of the parish of Claypole near Newark.There has been a mill known on the site for nearly 900 yrs.The Domesday survey of 1086AD records 1 mill rendering 10shillings.

There is a lot of information on the article 3pages including a condition of mill in 1977 which gives a detailed discription of the inside.

If you send me your email via PM I can send you the info.

Kathy