Author Topic: 1831 Census or Similar  (Read 2595 times)

Offline anyabekx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1831 Census or Similar
« on: Thursday 03 April 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I know that the 1831 census isn't online but does anyone have access to it? Or some other info from around that time?

I'm trying to find:

EDWARD CLAYTON, born/christened 21 Jan 1829 at All Saints, Wellington,
Shorpshire. (Born in the Poorhouse) His mother's name was ANN CLAYTON
(Servant). I have a copy of the original parish record and there's nothing else on there.

Edward can be found on the 1841 census living with the Aston family in
Wolverhampton. He is down as being an apprentice and of being born outside the county. No mention of his mother anywhere. On the other census' he was always down as being from Wellington or the Dawley area. On his marriage certificate there is no father's name.

I can't get any further back than this. It's possible that Edward ran away from home a the age of 11/12 years. There is a story that later on in life, Edward returned to the YORKSHIRE area (c1845/6) to visit his grandparents to ask for a loan to enable him to buy his own mine in the Dudley area. He was refused and apparently, because of this, he never spoke to nor spoke of his family again. I have since been told that it was very unlikely that Edward would have been able to buy a mine as mining rights were then held by the greater landowners. Lord Forester in the Much Wenlock, Dawley, Wellington area. The Earls of Sutherland in the Ketley, Wombridge and Lilleshall area and perhaps Lord Dudley or like in the West Midland area. Certainly the Earl of Dudley for Dudley. A mine might have been rented but it would have needed men of some substance to get together to form a mining company. However there must be some truth in the story but not quite as it has come down to me.

I've contacted both Shropshire and Staffordshire RO with regards to the Wellington Poorlaw records (1827-29) and apprentice records. I also have a copy of the Clayton family living in Wellington at the time of the 1821 census and there's only one Ann Clayton down, but she's 38 years old. Too old I think. I understand that I have very little information on Ann Clayton but it is my thinking that Edward must have know his mother or indeed lived with his grandparents to have known where to find them later on in life.

Does anyone have any idea where I could look now? Is there something I've missed?

As you can tell I'm really struggling with this!

Rebecca xx

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1831 Census or Similar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Do you know where Ann Clayton was born ??
as a servant - giving birth in a Poorhouse - she may have been from anywhere , not necessarily from Shropshire ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
Even if you find the 1831 census, I don't think it will be of much use?

Basic facts about the 1831 census, taken on 30 May 1831.

Details recorded for each parish, township, or place were:

Number of inhabited houses, occupied by how many families
    Number of houses being built
    Number of uninhabited houses
    How many persons, how many male, how many female
    How many households are chiefly employed in agriculture; how many in trade, manufactures, or handicraft; and how many in neither
    Detailed breakdown of occupation of males over 20

Details of individuals and their names were not recorded in the official Census returns.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline anyabekx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 April 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
I don't know anything else about Ann Clayton over than she was a servant and gave birth in the Poorhouse...That's why I asked about a census or similar circa 1831.

:-S