Author Topic: Ice cream sellers and street musicians  (Read 118582 times)

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream sellers and street musicians
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 10 January 08 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a story regarding a family that returned to Italy ahead of the looming War and posted a query on "The other tread" (Ice cream sellers in Manchester & Liverpool) http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=214404.msg1615824#msg1615824

"JJ" suggested that I post here too...........It involves the surname" ~ Ceresa ~ or more importantly I know how it was said Sir-rea-sa.

Apparently this family made & sold ice cream in Manchester possibly in the Irlham or Davyhulme part prior to kinda 1938, when the family returned to Italy.

Anyone any ideas how I can confirm any of this?"

"tony h" has already been kind enough to offer to search his carrier bags for me   :o  ;D

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 10 January 08 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Just a reminder that the cenuses are transcribed here with occupations  so Ice Cream Sellers & Makers plus Street Musicians will be easier to find...and also the mistranscriptions as it is alphabetized....
 ;D  http://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/about/sitemap.aspx   

Unfortunately, it won't help you, Wendi, but maybe the ItalianFHS can give you some advice as to where to look for info within the 20th century...

Gill, I am finding lots of info re: Righetti! and my Remember site has found a rellie in Germany!
Happy New Year to you all!  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 10 January 08 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Salford Lass...you probably saw both of these, but posting just in case as it hilights your Bacigalupo family:
http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/record_office/assets/pdf/newsletters/2006/ed57-12-06.pdf
http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/record_office/assets/pdf/newsletters/2007/ed59-02-07.pdf

and just a sampling of the stretches...Bachigaloupe,  Basigalupe, Bacigallup, Bacigalugo, Basegalone, Bassigalope, Bashegolipo, Bacegaloph, Basigalup, Bassigalupi, Bacigaleepo, Bacigglupo, Bacigalopo, Basigaloupe, Basicaloupe, Baccigalupo, Bacigalupps, Bacigalupa, Bacigalubo, Bassagallope, Bacigaloppo, Bacicalupo, Baciglupo, BacigalopuBissagul, Basigale, Basicale, Beisiegel, Bacijalcpo...and that's a small bit of them 
:D J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 10 January 08 16:49 GMT (UK) »
JJ

Glad you are making progress.  I haven't got any further with my Brissolaris.  They seem to have given up making both ice cream and music after the death of their father.

Happy New Year! ;D ;D

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 10 January 08 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Just in case the name Lenari pops up for someone...
Photographs related to John Lenari's ice cream shop turn of the century manchester
http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/records.asp?cat=124-2242&cid=0

Offline Salford Lass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 14 February 08 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JJ, will take a look at those links.

Another for anyone with Crolla's in their trees are http://crollafamily.tribalpages.com and my Crolla Forum http://crollafamilytree.aceboard.com/

anyone with link welcome to join.

Debbie
Friends of Salford Cemeteries Trust (Weaste Cemetery)

Melbourne (manchester)
Wall (derbyshire and Salford, Manchester)
Delaunay (Rouen, France and Blackley, Manchester)
Morris (Ireland, Bolton and Manchester)
Crompton (Bolton)
Hutchins (Yorkshire and Manchester)
Howcroft (Leigh and Irlam)
Darbyshire (Warrington and Irlam)
Daintith (Warrington and Culcheth)
Whittaker (Irlam and Manchester)
Holcroft (Croft and Irlam)
Dennsison (Ireland, Yorkshire and Manchester)
Edwards (Abergavenny and Salford)

Offline jazzyroy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
Further to an earlier post on the first " Italian Ice Cream Makers",  a  Anthony Ginocchie / Ginnochio, ice cream maker, b. 1874, Accrington, m. 18?? , Mary A Muckle / Mukelt, b. 18876, Lancaster,  Mary was a step sister of my grandmother, are there any Ginocchio's still around ?.
                                       Jacqui (bodgers better half)

Hello i`m new here.
I`m doing the family tree thing and have Antonio Ginocchio born 1874 from Accrington on my tree. Antonio's brother Dominic married Jane Williams and they had a son called Charles Ginocchio who married Florence Young. (She is my grandad's sister) Charles Ginocchio was a POW in WW1. His grandfather Stephen Ginocchio came from Genoa before 1871. He married Margaret Caldwell in 1884. If anyone has any more information please PM me.

Young, Lane, Platt, Roberts.

Offline sheronb

• RootsChat Senior
  • nan 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my family the Tuzzios came from Frosinone, Lazio to Birmingham, in the 1890s, my great grandfather did sell ice-cream for a while, many Italians did. for anyone interested, there is a book called "Bella Brum" by Doreen hopwood, abt the Italians in birmingham. Great book.
Larden/Cecil-Birmingham/lichfield/halesowen<br />Lombardozzi-Sora-Italy<br />Tuzi/Tuzio/Tuzzio- Sora-Italy/birmingham,
La Rocca/Tersigni/Lancia-Sora-Italy
Farrell/Battle-Ireland/Birmingham
Polsinelli/Gismondi-Sora-Italy<br />Heffer/Turner-Bristol-Frampton cotterell<br />Dean/skinner-Huntley,gloucs<br />Hinkley-Aston-Juxta-Birmingham<br /><br />Mchale/Oldbury/Ireland<br />Hinton/Smith/Carter/Hercules-Worcestershire.

Offline millybobs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 20 June 08 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Just been directed to this fascinating thread by JJ (thanks, JJ).
As well as the well-known Italian communities in Holborn and Ancoats, there was a smaller 'Little Italy' in Hull from the 1880s.  It was situated in a compact area of tightly-packed terraces and courts known ironically as the 'West End' (it was a far cry from the more famous West End in London).  These streets were home to many of the Hull poor as well as Irish and Italian immigrants. 
My RISI ancestors came to the UK in early1880s from Cassino and were employed in the usual combination of ice-cream sellers/street musicians.  My great grandfather Lorenzo Antonio RISI first turned up in Glasgow in 1881, then in Leeds (1882), before settling in the 'West End' (Hull).  He later had workshops in North Street, Hull, in the heart of the Little Italy district, where he made ice cream and repaired and hired out street pianos with his son pasquale Antonio.  Pasquale later became a publican, managing the Royal Oak on Spencer St under the anglicised name of Tony RICE, where he employed my grandfather Vincenzo as barman. 

Another ice cream manufacturer in the West End of Hull was that of George Pontone based at 58 Spencer Street, Hull.  Trade directories of the early 1900s listed several Italian ice-cream businesses in the ‘West End’ area, including Laurence Rice (Risi), Frank Penna, Alfred Bacci, Charles Corodino, George Pontone and George Ladolcetta, all listed as ice-cream makers.

Lorenzo and his wife Geltruda (nee FUSCO) moved to Leeds/Bradford and then to Newcastle upon Tyne in the early 1900s; they died in Newcastle in 1927/1919. 

As I've posted on another thread Italy:Immigrants to UK - RISI family there is still a RISI ice-cream business making and selling ice cream in the city.  

Paul
Milsom in Wiltshire, Wakefield and Hull
Risi, Rice, Fusco, Tomasso from Cassino, Italy
Fewster, Williams, Hildyard, Egan
Jachimowitz, Kerstein from Suwalki, Poland