Author Topic: Ice cream sellers and street musicians  (Read 118623 times)

Offline peggyD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream sellers and street musicians
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 30 January 11 14:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi Everone

I am trying to piece together some family history.
My great gandparents were called Edward & Annie Capes, they were Ice cream makers around 1925 in Hull, they had an ice cream shop and three carts that would go around the area selling, this was around the same time that the Penna family was in that area too. My grandad has said that the 'S' was put on the end of the surname when the couple came over from Italy. Annie Capes was also known to have been on a travelling stage with her sisters as a dancer before she had children with Edward (13 children in total).

Any further info would be very much appreciated.

Peggy x

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 15 April 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am revisiting this thread after posting last year. Ive recently been in touch with a cousin who has given me some extra info and Id love to hear from anyone who knows the family or even better, is family:)

Domino Bagnaro, Ice cream vendor born in Naples in 1887 and died in London 1933
Matteo and Raffaela Cavo [they are mis-enumrated on the 1901 census as Molteo and Raffoda.] Matteo had a cafe and provisions shop in Macklin St, near Covent Garden in the late 1900's. They both immigrated to England from Maiori, near Naples.
Im wondering if they were all en route to the US but decided to stop in England.
Roofy

ps the attached photo is Domino/Dominic Bagnaro with three of his children, Michel, Mary and Florence [ninny]
Seyer [Bristol and London], Porter [Swindon and Manchester], Lawless, Wilson, Wood, Ebsworthy, Willson [not a typo, have different spellings on different sides of the family]. Also Lawler [London and Liverpool}, Bagnaro and Cavo [London and Maiori, Italy], also Engley/Englie-London, Gloucester and Bristol, Palmer [Chichester and London]. Recently added Greaves [Derbys], Handley Greaves [Derbyshire, London and Swindon]

Offline Capo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
My Capaldi Ancestors came over from Cassino in the late 1800's to the UK as Musicians.
Looking at records, they spent some time in Edinburgh where there trade seemed to be Confectioners and Restauraters, but in England and Ireland they were Musicians.
Majority of the Italians they were around were Musicians, such Families as:

Tedesco
Salera
Arpino
Caringi
Macari
Colacicco
Di Tommaso
Coletta
D'Agostino
Di Ciacca
Pacitto
Innelli
Risi
Pinchera
Ricci
Rotonda
Tartaglia
Tomasso
Velardo

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
just as a ps to my previous message, Dominic was born in Minori, near Naples in about 1867.
thanks
Roofy
Seyer [Bristol and London], Porter [Swindon and Manchester], Lawless, Wilson, Wood, Ebsworthy, Willson [not a typo, have different spellings on different sides of the family]. Also Lawler [London and Liverpool}, Bagnaro and Cavo [London and Maiori, Italy], also Engley/Englie-London, Gloucester and Bristol, Palmer [Chichester and London]. Recently added Greaves [Derbys], Handley Greaves [Derbyshire, London and Swindon]

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Last Wednesday, 18th May , 'The Northern Echo' published an article 'The Anglo-Italian job' that featured Eddie Rossi an ice cream seller from Darlington.

There is a follow-up article in today's issue of the paper that mentions a number of ice cream sellers in the County Durham area.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Wearsider,
how ironic, or do i mean downright blxxdy annoying,:) that i live in the north, have easy access to these papers yet my lot are down south. Oh well, Ill have a read when Im in the library next.
Thanks for letting people know about it,
Roofy

Offline PastPresentFuture

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 02 September 11 09:33 BST (UK) »
hello,

is anyone's italian ancestors set up home in the Clerkenwell area??

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 07 October 11 02:12 BST (UK) »
I have an update for my Granelli ice cream family.

As mentioned in previous posts, Agostino Granelli was an ice cream seller in Macclesfield in 1911, as per the census.  I had been unable to trace his family, and I was told they went back to Italy and then one daughter went to the US.

I have now found a connection to a Mary Granelli who married Arthur Zecchini, a barber, in Ohio USA.  Her mother was  Margherita Agazzi, who went to visit/stay with her in 1946.

I am wondering if this is familiar to anyone?
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline millybobs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 08 October 11 12:25 BST (UK) »

Hi Everone

I am trying to piece together some family history.
My great gandparents were called Edward & Annie Capes, they were Ice cream makers around 1925 in Hull, they had an ice cream shop and three carts that would go around the area selling, this was around the same time that the Penna family was in that area too. My grandad has said that the 'S' was put on the end of the surname when the couple came over from Italy. Annie Capes was also known to have been on a travelling stage with her sisters as a dancer before she had children with Edward (13 children in total).

Any further info would be very much appreciated.

Peggy x

Hi Peggy
Wondered if you#d seen my posting (reply #44 on this thread) re other ice cream sellers in Hull?  What was the name your ancestors used in Hull, and do you know when they arrived in the UK, or whereabouts in Italy they came from? 
Regards
Paul
Milsom in Wiltshire, Wakefield and Hull
Risi, Rice, Fusco, Tomasso from Cassino, Italy
Fewster, Williams, Hildyard, Egan
Jachimowitz, Kerstein from Suwalki, Poland