Author Topic: Hugh Wagstaff/Margaret Weir  (Read 31263 times)

Offline cat30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Wagstaff/Margaret Weir
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 10:37 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this will be of any help to you re Nivens but in Coylton Churchyard there are two monumental inscriptions to the family.

'Er by James P Niven Esq merchant Singapore in affectionate remembrance of his wife Catherine McLimont Pringle d at Singapore 23 Mar 1867 aged 38 yr 8mths; also of his daus Annie Aitken d Hillhead Coylton 19 Nov 1872 aged 14 yr 6mth; Jessie Campbell d Singapore 9Jan 1874 aged 20yr 6mths; the above James Parker Niven d at Hillhead 6 Sep 1876 aged 56; also his son Lawrence d Hong Kong 31 May 1890 aged 33; also his daus Agnes Alice Hamilton( Mrs Alec Buyers) d Shanghai 29 Jun 1919 in her 64th year; and Jeanie Buyers (Mrs Sam Groundwater)'

'In memory of Laurence Niven late of Singapore d Hillhead 21 Aug 1876 aged 51.' 'Also in memory of his wife Jane Newbold d Singapore 21 Jan 1906 aged 69 and is interred there.'

Hope this helps

Cat30

Offline batchen2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 April 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Runningbear and Cat 30 for the additional information. Im still on the trail but it has helped me get abother generation back to see if there is a link
Batchen, McKenzie, Grant, McNiven, McTaggart, McDaid

Offline mjm1971

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 April 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to this forum and maybe a little late.  I too am a decendant of Hugh Wagstaff.  I have found this link showing there were 2 Hugh Wagstaff's sons of Joseph and Jean (Brown) Wagstaff.  One born in 1799 married Margaret Weir and one born 1818 married Barbara Ferguson.  The author has everthing referenced but the references are not specific.  They may be for his own information and have them listed elsewhere.  It is worth a shot contacting him.
Regards,
MJ

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/w/a/g/Stephen-Wagstaff/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0029.html

Offline Watchernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 August 13 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a descendant of Laurence Niven and his son James Parker Niven (named after his uncle). My great grandfather James was born in Singapore ( he wrote a bit about the family in Sinapore in the following link ( he became a doctor and was based at Southend Cambelltown Scotland) i am interested on any information about his mother that may have been called Jane her father was a Col Thomas John Newbold.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nivenfamily/genealogica_chapter7.html

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 August 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My husband is also a descendant of Hugh Wagstaff son of Joseph Wagstaff and Jean Brown of Loudoun Parish.

Re. Hugh's brother Archibald Lawrie Wagstaff  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTK3-V95.

I believe Archibald was probably :-\ named after the Minister of Loudoun Church during this period - the Rev. Archibald Lawrie.
http://www.robertburns.org/encyclopedia/LawrieTheRevDrArchibald17681511837.514.shtml

The Rev. Archibald Lawrie and his father Rev. George Lawrie were friends of Robert Burns who visited them at The Manse in Newmilns.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/AYR/Loudoun/pigot.html .

Looby :)

Offline honestman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I too am a descendant of Hugh. Thanks both for posting the information on your family branches I have found it all most interesting.

Stephen Wagstaff
Wagstaff,armour,neil, fulton

Offline boudica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 14 December 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Browsing on Rootschat and found your post 11/08/13.  wow! what a surprise!  My children are also descendents of Laurence Niven/James Parker Niven.  My late husband being Laurence - who visited NZ in the 1950's when he was a Merchant Navy Marine Engineer and if you are a related you will probably be a child of Sandy (son of William & Remu).   I do hope that you are still following up the posts on Rootschat.

Offline boudica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I have photos of William Niven/Remu - would you be interested in viewing them?
best wishes and happy new year.  boudica

Offline boudica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
My children are related to you (cousins once removed) so please get in touch if you are still interested).