Author Topic: Rose Hall, Polmont - Stewarts?  (Read 19846 times)

Offline jobarnesmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Hall, Polmont - Stewarts?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this ...........

Jobarnesmum
The following are the main names we are searching but there are others which are no less important, but too numerous to mention
THOMSON - ABERDEENSHIRE /BANFF  UK/  USA /AUSTRALIA/CANADA AND NZ
ESSON, E(L)MSLIE, RIDDELL
STRONACH ABERDEENSHIRE/BANFF UK/USA/ CANADA/NZ
CLARK - FIFE & ANGUS
STEWART - STIRLINGSHIRE
LIDDLE - STIRLINGSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE
TULLOCH STIRLINGSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE
NEAVE - FORAR, MONTROSE
BOWMAN -FORFAR, (ORIGINALLY DUNFERMLINE)
CRAIK - FORFAR/ANGUS
WINTER - ANGUS

Offline ALS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 July 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Jo – I thought you would like to hear something about the house itself?

I moved in when I was 3 – I seem to remember my 4th birthday party watching Dr Who on our newly rented B&W TV – which was sitting on a tea chest - probably while hiding from behind the sofa!

Rosehall was a BIG house – especially for the 3 of us. The kitchen, dining, sitting and 3 bedrooms could each accommodate a couple. There were also 2 attic rooms up a slightly smaller staircase which would have been a fine size for a single person – you can see the sky light each had in the photo? We had a piano in one – which came as a disappointment to the removal men when we moved in.  The house was cold in winter – I seem to remember each room had a fireplace – except – they were bricked up – that’s what you did then

The house must have been neglected a bit in the decade before we moved in in those days no-one wanted these big houses – preferring modern bungalows. We discovered the house needed major refurbishment only after we moved in.

You could see how each of the rooms had a different couple staying in them – it did however only have 1 bathroom – interesting…

The garden was huge – the size of ½ a football pitch – with 1 tree left in the middle. The house was right on the main street – but in those days there was little traffic.

I realise that you’d be wanting to know about the house and the occupants from much earlier – but thought that 1965 to you was quite like 1925 to me. Looking at one of the photos from the hill the building opposite the Kirk is my 1st primary school – before I moved to the “new” Polmont Primary school in P2. This "new" school itself has been replaced – progress…

Cheers
Alistair

(Btw - before I get corrected – the power station in the background must be Kincardine  - Longannet – which has one of the largest single chimneys in Scotland was probably still in the planning stages.)

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 17:48 BST (UK) »

Alistair and Alistair's Dad,

Thank you so much for posting the photo's of the house it is appreciated by my nieces and myself, I think I will download them and then send a copy to our relatives in New Zealand to see if it brings some memories back for my mother in laws sister.

Sorry to read that the wicket you had been nursing for years got ruined in the name of progress.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline ALS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 October 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
I’ve been looking through some of my dad’s photos – and found a couple of Rosehall

The first is a postcard – he’s written “possibly about 1938” on the back – although not sure what that is based on. It’s taken from the East of the house.

The second is again from the East – but somewhat closer. Taken 1970 perhaps – I don’t remember us getting a pavement!

Hope they are of interest
Cheers
Als

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:35 BST (UK) »

Thanks Als,
Much appreciated as were the other photos.
Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline jobarnesmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:42 BST (UK) »

Thanks Als,
Much appreciated as were the other photos.
Regards
Lyne

As Auntie Lyne says much appreciated ...... 1938 my granny would still have lived there possibly as my mum was born in 1944 !!
The following are the main names we are searching but there are others which are no less important, but too numerous to mention
CLARK - FIFE & ANGUS
STEWART - STIRLINGSHIRE
NEAVE - FORAR, MONTROSE
CRAIK - FORFAR/ANGUS
WINTER - ANGUS

Offline ymtgramgemouth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
Just found this site. I actually lived in Rosehall in Polmont from 1947 to 1953 when I was 8. It was a very large house and we had rented space when we returned from Holland My father was Dutch and worked in the dockyard in Grangemouth. He helped the then owner with the garden and general maintenance. We became the owners when as I understand it the gentleman left it to us in his will, at least that rings a bell from thing I heard aged 3 or so.
It was a very large house and there was a large extension on the back which is now missing when we lived there there was also a loft above the kitchen. The garden was surrounded by a 6 foot stone wall and was my dads passion and he had it fully planted with fruit and vegetables. There were double gates and to the left of these was a double story barn, attached to this was a stable type building then another attached to that and finally a large lean to greenhouse. If you look on Google maps with Rosehall on your left and move towards Falkirk past the entrance to Rosehall Gardens at the end of that bungalows garden you will see a half moon stone wall, that was the extent of the property and I used to sit and fish off that onto what then was the main Edinburgh Glasgow road. What it is now is a travesty of what it was and should never have been allowed. If it had not been for my fathers work we would never have left. Hope you gain something from this.

Regards

Yvonne Tempest

Offline jobarnesmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 19:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Yvonne - my granny Stewart lived in this house that's why I was asking .. It was her parents house - I have no idea when The Stewarts moved out sometime between 1944 and now 1947 as you moved in then... I know my great grandfather stayed in the area because his death was reg in the area. I believe he married for a 2nd time after my gt granny died in1934 ..

Many thanks again..

Jobarnesmum x
CLARK - FIFE & ANGUS
STEWART - STIRLINGSHIRE
NEAVE - FORAR, MONTROSE
CRAIK - FORFAR/ANGUS
WINTER - ANGUS

Offline ALS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
I thought you might like a few more photographs - taken about 1967 - showing more of the garden (including the wall you used to fish off Yvonne). There was no greenhouse outbuildings when we moved there - although there is an impression of something on the gable wall on the east side.
The attic above the kitchen I do remember - although it was difficult to access - but it had "proper" rooms (2) there.

I've also included anther from the top of the hill - slightly later

Als