Author Topic: William Johnston & Robina Drummond (got stuck on William help please)  (Read 1519 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Johnston & Robina Drummond (got stuck on William help please)
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone researching this tree I would like to exchange information. William Johnston born circa 1808 at St Ninians, Stirling. (he was a weaver) Married Robina Drummond (born circa 1809) The banns show that they married inDec. 1839. Robina died at Tillicoultry 1873. William was shown as deceased on his son Alexander's second marriage in 1880. His son's first wife was Martha Ann Maxwell and his second Helen Anderson born 1855 at Bannockburn.
The problem that I have is that I cannot get back further on William Johnston.  I have loads of information on Robina.  Any help with William would be appreciated. 

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnston & Robina Drummond (got stuck on William help please)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wondering where you found the 1808 birth date.

I think this is the correct family in 1851 but William's age here would give a birth year around 1816/17. NB Information from a transcript NOT the original so his age may be wrong - check the original on ScotlandsPeople ((Registration District: St Ninians, Stirling. RD: 488. ED 2.  Page 21. Schedule no 91)

Name    Age
William Johnston    34
Robina Johnston    39
Jane Johnston    11
William Johnston    9
Ann Johnston    7
Alexander Johnston    5
Esabella Johnston    2
John Johnston    8 Mo

There is also this group in 1861 (Registration District: St Ninians, Stirling. RD: 488. ED 2.  Page 15. Schedule no 85)

Robert Johnston    50
Jane K Johnston    19
Ann Johnston    16
Isabella Johnston    12

"Robert" is a woollen winder and head. I just wonder if that is a mistranscription for Robina as the girls' names fit with the 1851 record. You would need to check the original census record on ScotlandsPeople to get the full story.

Do you know William was alive in 1873 when Robina died?

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Johnston & Robina Drummond (got stuck on William help please)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks very much for your reply.  I made a basic error by not checking the birthdate for William, too many irons in the fire!  However I have been back on SP and have found that William died 16th March 1859 and from that I now have his parents William Johnston and Ann Denovan both deceased in 1859.  I have been unable to find a marriage for his parents on SP.  Denovan is an unusual name so I will continue from there and see what I can find..

Thanks again.