Author Topic: James & Agnes Diamond  (Read 36409 times)

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Agnes Diamond
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 02:04 BST (UK) »
Here it is sorry but had to reduce the size before it would send.....Kitty

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 02:05 BST (UK) »
Last one Alexander brother to Sarah and William..Kitty

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 08:08 BST (UK) »
hi Kitty, sorry for the delay -was away for a week and then intended to check out your William (who married in Sydney 1860) and other NSW & Wigtownshire records. Unfortunately haven't as yet had time. Must say your photos are absolutely stunning.  I don't have anything to match but am still chasing. 
Wondering if you have more details/ records re. William's of arrival in Sydney and also of his marriage.   

To Dolphin 53, would like to get in touch/ have a chat, am in the uk for a lengthy period, have a heap of records and info at hand.       

Offline hazel8

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 April 11 00:26 BST (UK) »
I may be far off... most likely am.  I have ancestors who were born in Ireland, lived in Scottland then moved to Pennsylvania.  Any chance there is a relationship?  I am stumped.  Not finding anything.
Michael Diamond 1799 Ireland... married to Catherine
son...John Diamond 1851 born in Scottland married to Mary Diamond from Ireland
My grandfather is their son Daniel A Diamond 1896 married to Catherine McPartland in PA.

any guidance would be great
Thank you

Offline Rockland15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 December 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all. 
I've just come across you chat room and realised that I too am related to this family.  My connection is via John Diamond (born 1832) - son of Eliabeth Addis and William Diamond (christened 1797).  My line goes via his daughter Sarah Jane Diamond, born 17th September 1858. 
I have learned quite a bit from your chat room already, because I had only tracked down to date that Sarah's parents were John and Elizabeth Diamond.  I would be interested in tracking down some of those earlied bdm's to compliment my research to date and look forward to hearing from you. 

I love the photographs.   :)

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 December 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rockland 15, was your ancestor the Sarah J. Diamond born Braidwood district, NSW, 1858, d. 1934 in Sydney; married a John McMillan at Rookwood, Sydney 31 July 1884; had about 8 children. I'm guessing it is (but parents John Diamond and Mary Little). I have some info.and will happily provide- although I must apologise to some of the other correspondents for me not maintaining contact over the past few months (work and other diversions have seriously intervened)     

Offline Rockland15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 January 12 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear svsurf02,

My relative was the very same Sarah J Diamond, born in Braidwood.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Elizabeth

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 09 January 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »
hi Rockland15, you have probably worked out my descent from the messages posted on this site- but briefly it is from your Sarah's father John Diamond who landed in Sydney, January 1857 on the Matoaka (parents William Diamond & Elizabeth Addies of Wigtonshire) and married Mary Little in November 1857. Mary was an immigrant from Langholm, Dumfries, immigrated 1853, followed by her younger sister Jane Little (later Charlesworth) in August 1857, just in time to be a witness at Mary's wedding. My ancestor is son John born Sydney, 1865 (married Mary Ann Cole in 1887) leading to son William James born Parramatta, 1888,  followed by his son William John in 1910, his daughter Lorna in Sydney, 1932... and so on. 
I knew from records of your Sarah being born in the Braidwood area in 1858 and thought how this was unusual and quite a pioneering venture for John & Mary. Of course they were back in Sydney by 1860 (Chippendale/ Annandale area, later Rookwood, later Norval St Auburn).  I have a July 1884 newspaper marriage notice for Sarah Diamond of Rookwood to John McMillan (son "of Rev. Henry McMillan of Glasgow,Scotland). Her children, I think (from my notes) were John, James, Sarah, Elsie M, Mary, Florence E, Jessie, Laura J. but you may need to correct me.

Offline Rockland15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear SVSurf02,

For some reason I hadn't identified Sarah as a child of Sarah Diamond and John McMillan, but the rest you are aware of.  My line is via Elsie May McMillan.  She married Andrew William Williams, who came to an unfortunate end being exposed to mustard gas, whilst working on the wharves in Sydney and committing suicide after the event.  My mother was very young at the time , but can still remember the incident and the family's reaction.   Looking through inquest papers there seems to be alot of unanswered questions to me about what happened.  John Williams, was one of Elsie and Andrew's sons.  He was my grandfather.

Have you visited the diamond gradesite at rookwood?  There is a great headstone with many family members in the same grave.  I have photos it you haven't.

I would be interested in seeing the 1884 marriage notice of Sarah Diamond and John McMillan.  I don't know anything about the McMillan family yet, so was surprised to see they were from a  a religious family

Elizabeth Thompson