Author Topic: Aitcheson/McCants/Ferguson/Gunlock  (Read 6579 times)

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aitcheson/McCants/Ferguson/Gunlock
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am looking to any information on the above names.  All seem to be from Stranraer.  John Ferguson married Jane Aitcheson in 1859  his parents were William and Martha (Parks), Janes father was Alexander who was a blacksmith and mother Mary (Gunlock).  I have found an Alexander baptised at Inch 1795, can anyone tie these in with their family  ;D
Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aitcheson/McCants/Ferguson/Gunlock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 12 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,

I have Alexander Hutcheson m. Mary Gunlock in my tree.

I would be very grateful for more information on them if you have any.

I know that Mary Gunlock died at the age of 88 in 1882, mother unknown and father reputed to of been 'John Gunlock' I think his profession is listed as 'Clogger' (?). She is listed as an illegitimate child.

Alexander Hutchison died in 1867, his parents listed as John Hutchison and Jane Cance. I have found the baptism record to which you refer, and it listed an Alexander Aitchison, with parents John Aitchison and Jean McCants ..... same people, alternate spellings?
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aitcheson/McCants/Ferguson/Gunlock
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Further to this, I have found the marriage record which lists the names as 'John Acheson' (Kirkoswald Parish) and 'Jean Canse' (Maybole Parish). They were married in Kirkoswald, Ayrshire on the 21st of July 1794.

"John Acheson and Jean Canse married at Kirkoswald July 21st. Witness Hugh Brown at Thomaston Hill and Thomas Rewcastle at Cullean."

Anyone got any further back than this?
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).