Author Topic: John BAKER, Sopers Farm, Walcott, Somerset  (Read 8299 times)

Offline croftyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John BAKER, Sopers Farm, Walcott, Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 July 14 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, I am back on now. Just with regards to John Baker, I have a copy of his army records which state that he went back to England, so not sure where you obtained the information about his death - he could have returned to India I suppose but I cannot seem to find any reference to this. Would love to hear more from you. Kind regars

Offline geoffbaker47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 April 15 05:56 BST (UK) »
Croftyh - my name is Geoff Baker and I am a recent convert to family history.  I also am bogged down about detail on John Baker's service in India.

I note you have details of hos Military service and I would like to obtain a copy or know the details of what is in them.

regards

Geoff Baker

Offline croftyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 April 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff, what line do you come down from?

If you could provide me with an email address i can scan the service record and email it to you or a postal address and i can post it to you. Or if you wanted to get a copy it is available on the UK Archives.

Kind regards
Heather Croft (nee Baker)

Offline geoffbaker47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 April 15 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather - I come down from William James Baker who was the eldest son of James Baker.  His eldest son was Edwin James Baker who was my father (what is your line?).

It has been an interesting quest following up on the family tree and I am not finished yet.

they say I should not publish my email but I think it is OK - email address removed by moderator

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Geoff Baker

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
The British Army Service Records are on FindMyPast.

These show that John Baker was born Walcot and his occupation before joining the Army, Duke of Cornwall's 32nd and 46th afoot, was that of Shoemaker. Based on the information he gave, he joined aged 17 in 1825. That suggests he was born in 1808 as stated.

There may be further records in The National Archives it shows these are held at ref WO97, Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913. Box 603, Box record number 22.

There are a number of Probate entries for John Baker in Somerset. Have you searched these to see if there are any clues?

In the event he received a pension, the army records may indicate his year of death.

Jo.

Offline geoffbaker47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 April 15 03:31 BST (UK) »
Jo - thanks for that info.  I will follow up on your suggestions

Regards

Geoff

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 April 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
This thread caught my eye because I live very near to Sopers Farm. Looking at the records on FindMyPast I can see John Baker came from Walcot but there's no mention of Soper's Farm specifically. Where did that information come from?

Also it appears he was discharged 22 Aug 1848 (not 1844) at Chatham. His age then was 40 9/12 years which suggest he was actually born in late 1807. Having done 22 years service he must surely have been eligible for a pension so, as Jo suggests, the pension records at the National Archives should be worth looking at.

There seems to have been no John Baker baptised in Bath in 1807 or 1808. There was one in Walcot in 1809 and a couple more in other parts of Bath in 1810. The Walcot parents - Benjamin and Sarah - appear to have had daughters born in 1811 and 1815 who weren't baptised until 1818 so perhaps the 1809 John was also baptised late, or just lied about his age when he joined the army. At the later dates Benjamin was a blacksmith or farrier and lived in Avon Street. That's about as far away from Soper's Farm as you can get and still be within Walcot parish, but that doesn't rule them out.

David

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
I have seen some Family Trees on Ancestry for John Baker and family. These show that he died in India in 1832. Judging from the contents of the Army Service Records on FindMyPast, that cannot be correct.

The entries in the Service Records show he was awarded extra amounts of pay based on his distinguished service and excellent conduct. There were four awards in all and the last of these is dated 1846.

One tree has John Baker born 23/07/1807, Walcot, "Sophers Farm", but baptised in Warminster on 13/09/1807. It says he was the son of Samuel Baker and Mary. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these but they might be worth checking.

Jo.

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 July 15 03:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting line, as I have a John Baker married to sisters Sarah & Phoebe Apsey, West Coker, Somerset, when various sources have claimed he was serving in India.  This John descended from Matthew Baker, bp 18.I.1737 Halstock, Dorset, F: Henry, Mother: Anne.  John was baptised in 1768 and I don't know what he did between 1768 and 1795 when he married Sarah.  However, he and his brothers sprinkled offspring all over Somerset, and his daughter Amelia's son, Alfred served as farrier with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers, so I hope this can steer your around the brick wall.  Aloha!