Author Topic: I Might Be Able to Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's  (Read 72412 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I Might Be Able to Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's
« Reply #171 on: Sunday 15 December 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi dee-jay

Sorry, no luck with Bromsgrove, Wombell, Farnham, Manchester Jack  or John Manchester Gill. However, there was some luck with the Giant Joseph SEWELL;

"I just recollect witnessing two remarkable funerals (author describes first, then continues.....). The other funeral was at the Church of St.Mary Magdalene. It was that of a Lincolnshire giant, named Sewell, who was totally blind. He lodged with a carpenter, named Luxton, living in Church Square. There he was taken ill, with no friends or relatives to take of him: but a kind-hearted tradesman (Mr John Bluett) had him taken care of, and paid his funeral expenses. The crowd was very great to see the internment of the blind giant, which took place on the north side of the tower, where his long grave was seen for many years".

Hope that helps a little.

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Sunday 15 December 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello, There wouldn't happen to be any Chidzey/Chidgey/Chidzoy's mentioned in the book at all?

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Sunday 15 December 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick response, Les.

Unfortunately, the information in the quote is not accurate, for SEWELL died in Wales in July 1829, the day after he'd been exhibiting there with Nat FARNHAM.

BROMSGROVE of Taunton, his attendant, drove SEWELL's body back to Taunton in his own caravan for burial in accordance with his expressed wishes, as SEWELL had a great horror of being exposed to anatomical operations after death.

The good people of Taunton and Exeter had raised a subscription in 1827 for the provision of a caravan to enable SEWELL to exhibit himself, as he had arrived at Taunton blind and destitute.  Unfortunately online access to newspaper archives in Wales is sparse at present, so coverage there is currently limited to Merlin 11th July, 1829.    http://www.newportpast.com/nfs/y00t29/y1829.htm

BROMSGROVE is sometimes recorded elsewhere BROOMSGROVE, in his travels with a menagerie which appears to have been associated with Wombwell's.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Monday 16 December 13 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello, There wouldn't happen to be any Chidzey/Chidgey/Chidzoy's mentioned in the book at all?

Unfortunately, no variants of that surname appear in the book's indexes.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Monday 16 December 13 13:28 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately, no variants of that surname appear in the book's indexes.

Les

A shame. Many thanks for taking the time to look, though.  :)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Dee-jay

Welsh Newspapers on line     http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

Search for "Sewell" and restrict year to "1829" using slider bars. Several reports (including "The Merlin") with one article referring to Bromsgrove and the drive back to Taunton.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Bless you, hanes teulu!  You've made my day and undoubtedly that of the BROMSGROVE researcher I've been assisting!  We felt intuitively that James BROMSGROVE of Taunton was someone very special, and now - thanks to you - we have the evidence to prove it.

We're indebted to you.   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Thursday 19 December 13 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Bless you, hanes teulu!  You've made my day and undoubtedly that of the BROMSGROVE researcher I've been assisting!  We felt intuitively that James BROMSGROVE of Taunton was someone very special, and now - thanks to you - we have the evidence to prove it.

We're indebted to you.   

Dee-Jay, glad you got something from this topic, albeit "through the back door" :-) Thanks to hanes teulu for your input - this site relies on people like you!

Les

Offline EML100

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I Can Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's
« Reply #179 on: Friday 09 May 14 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Les
Looking for the Butti surname in Taunton. Joseph Butti from Italy married Maria Shattock. Children born in the 1920`s. Thanks
Nicola
Hi Nicola - 6 years too late, I know, but I'd be interested to find out what you know about Joseph and Maria (who I think are my GGGparents). As far as I know, they had 4 children, born 1833-1852 (presumably you meant 1820's, rather than 1920's?) Thanks.