Author Topic: 1943 chard marriage look up  (Read 3275 times)

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
1943 chard marriage look up
« on: Friday 28 February 14 22:17 GMT (UK) »
could someone in chard area do a look up  for marriage of reginald w samways and irene may jenkins oct qrt 1943 would love to trace parents of this couple reginald died 1975 and mary died in 1989 any help appreciated

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1943 chard marriage look up
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 14 22:57 GMT (UK) »
The only Reginald W I can see (on FreeBMD) is this one:

September qtr 1918
Bridport, Dorset district    vol 5a, page 507

Samways, Reginald W    Mother's maiden name: Fiander

Which leads to this marriage:
June qtr 1903
Dorchester district    vol 5a, page 787

Samways, Frederick Robert
Fiander, Hannah Louisa
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi raa

Marriages this recent are highly unlikely to be online anywhere.

For someone to go to the local archives and try to locate the entry, they would need to know where the marriage took place within the registration district and the actual date of the marriage.

There's a list of parishes within the Chard registration district here

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/chard.html

and the number of marriages in that quarter for that distict seems to be over 100.

If they married at the register office instead of a place of worship, then the marriage register will be with the superintendent registrar and not available to the public for consultation.

In this case it will be quicker and cheaper to purchase the certificate from the GRO at Southport.

His birth may have been registered as Walter R Samways in 1911 which would then suggest his parents were Walter Samways and Ethel Lacey and that he has a number of siblings born after 1911.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 March 14 06:33 GMT (UK) »
many thanks dawn i have him married 1943 oct quarter chard somerset

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 14 07:08 GMT (UK) »
just found further info reginald walter samways born 1911/12   that reginald in dorset has no middle name also found his baptism no middle name i wonder if reginald born outside uk i think the personn im helping only way forward is for them to invest in marriage cert i wonder if family hostory society in chard area

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
The GRO death reference for Reginald Walter SAMWAYS 1975 gives his date of birth 29 MY 1912, but the accuracy of that information is dependent on the knowledge of the informant.  Similarly, Irene May's date of birth was recorded as 19 5 1915.  As both deaths occurred after 1969, their death registrations should state their date and place of birth.

The relevant Family History Society for Chard is Somerset & Dorset but, as mentioned previously, Chard Registration District then covered many parishes - some across county boundaries into Devon & Dorset - each with several marriage venues, including Non-conformist Chapels, before amalgamation into Yeovil District.  Currently there does not appear to be a local marriage index so your only option appears pursuit of an application to Southport.   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk