Author Topic: Burt family Dumfermline / Edinburgh - research tips.  (Read 2707 times)

Offline jangarbett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burt family Dumfermline / Edinburgh - research tips.
« on: Sunday 15 June 14 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Burt Researchers,

My Burt research takes us back to Dunfermline. Having visited Scotland once a few years ago, we have started trying to put together Burt families and are hoping to see if and how we connect. We know our Burts were shoemakers in Edinburgh but the clues point to their coming from Dunfermline.

If you have any tips for us in planning a trip to Dunfermline that could unravel some of this mystery we'd appreciate it.

We have done some DNA testing on  other family lines and wonder if you've ever tried that?

Best,
Jan

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 June 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello to you Jan and I and I am very pleased to hear from a fellow Burt Researcher. My maternal Grand mother was a Burt I notice that you are a "newbie" so after a couple more post we will be able to send you info re my line of Burts. Most of our forebears are from Dumfermline area with most of the family moving to Australia in early 1900's and one brother to South Africa. I was very fortunate to meet the our  Burts from Sydney and just recently have had contact with the Burts from Western Australia. Would love to know where you are from, also have contact with a New Zealander and also a Burt family from Utah. Welcome again. I have found Roots Chatters to be extremely helpful and quite nice about the early mistakes Looking forward to your next post Cheers gmar
Burt Hannon Droney Smith Collis Berry

Offline jangarbett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 June 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandfather was a Burt - we are in Utah but my great grandfather came from Dalry, Scotland and did ornamental plastering which trade he learned in Scotland in a style that had been brought by Italians to the island sometime earlier. His father was born in Wick and his father from Edinburgh. He made shoes. We believe his father came from Dunfermline. Would love to learn from others how to maximize our research efforts while in Scotland.
My Burts immigrated to UTAH in the 1870s.

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 06:12 BST (UK) »
well you are from Utah. You have most of the information on tap at your front door. The Latter day saints have a huge collection. I have my tree on there. I am not a Mormon but have found them to be most helpful. I do a bit of indexing for them.The more information you have before you go to Scotland the better it will be for you. Read up on the forums here at rootschat as there is so much info on all aspects of family history Cheers gmar
Burt Hannon Droney Smith Collis Berry

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burt family Dumfermline / Edinburgh - research tips.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandfather was a Burt - we are in Utah but my great grandfather came from Dalry, Scotland and did ornamental plastering which trade he learned in Scotland in a style that had been brought by Italians to the island sometime earlier. His father was born in Wick and his father from Edinburgh. He made shoes. We believe his father came from Dunfermline. Would love to learn from others how to maximize our research efforts while in Scotland.
My Burts immigrated to UTAH in the 1870s.

Which Burt emigrated and who was he married to? You are getting close to the year of statutory registration (1855) so before that it makes it difficult to confirm family relationships

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
If you have any tips for us in planning a trip to Dunfermline that could unravel some of this mystery we'd appreciate it.

Do as much research as you possibly can online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk before you set out. This means (a) that you won't waste scarce time in Scotland finding stuff you could have found before leaving home and (b) you will have time to organise and assimiliate it so that you know exactly what you want to find out when you arrive.

Most of the principal primary records (BMDs and census) are in Edinburgh, so don't go to Dunfermline expecting to find them there. Make sure that you know exactly what you will be able to find in Dunfermline before you go there. Contact (join?) the Fife family history society and get their advice on what sources exist that might tell you what you want to know.

And don't even think about considering the idea of driving in Edinburgh. It's difficult to move, hard to find you way around, impossible to stop and very expensive to park, if you can find a space at all. Use the excellent public transport system instead, and save some cash by not hiring a car until you are ready to leave Edinburgh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
Dunfermline Library is also a good source for family history.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline jtbattws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hello... my Burt ancestor (Alexander) emigrated in 1856 to Utah from Dunfermline.  Let me know if I can help.

John

Offline Irene Masterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 May 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have read your article on Google and was very interested to see that you have a relative that came to South Africa. I am the granddaughter of a Mr Burt. My father Arthur Ronald and his sister Virginia (unfortunately both have passed away) were fathered by a Mr Burt who went back to Scotland and my father and his sister were then adopted by a Mr Parker. I would be interested to know more about the Burt who came to South Africa.