Author Topic: buckley/buck travellers in kent?  (Read 4557 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
buckley/buck travellers in kent?
« on: Thursday 07 May 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
hello,ive posted about these elsewhere,but the more evidence i gather,the more it looks like they might have been travellers.elizabeth buckley is on the 1841 in canterbury, born 1821.with her are children henry born c1838,elizabeth born 1839 and mary born 1840.shes living with robert streeting born c1816.robert had a brother born c1818,theres no sign of him on 1841.there is a joint marriage in sheppey j/a/s 1841 5/487 for robert and thomas streeting.the spouses are elizabeth buckley and mary ann hagarty.the 1851 entry where robert and thomas are living next door to each other shows that robert married mary ann born ireland and thomas married elizabeth born england.her three children have become streeting.thomas and wife then vanish for the next 30 years,before he turns up with a new partner mary shaw in cranbrook,hes a marine store dealer.he marries mary in cranbrook in 1885.they have a daughter jane born 1862 birmingham.on the 1891,thomas is a general dealer,marys a hawker,living apart.thomas and elizabeths daughter mary ann streeting(buckley) born 1840 married my gggg grandmothers cousin william spain,a hawker/marine store/horse dealer.back to thomas and robert,they had a sister mary ann born c1822 canterbury who married daniel buck in canterbury in 1841.he was born london,middlesex in c1815,he was a licensed hawker and dealer in glass,china and earthenware.his siblings were born hoxton.his parents were james born 1796,melbourne,derbyshire,hawker of earthenware and mary born 1787,wittersley,leister.one more thing,on william spain/mary streetings marriage cert the witnesses were jane taylor and william blackman.theres a william blackman,general dealer,in canterbury at that time,and i believe blackmans a traveller name,given all this,does anyone think or know if elizabeth buckley was a traveller.buckley is a traveller name,but were there any in kent at that time?are any of these names/occupations known to be linked with buckleys?and did they ever shorten their name to buck.does anyone have any general info on the buckley family.anything that could be useful would be much appreciated,many thanks,nel.   

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: buckley/buck travellers in kent?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 May 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
My family were Buckleys and yes, Buckley is a Romany name.  People in my family were Hawkers and I think this is often a trade that travellers would do. 

Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 May 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
babygirlbill,many thanks for that.ive been trawling around the census and ive found some travelling buckleys living in a community in tents and caravans around cherry island in tilbury,essex from 1871 onwards.some are hawkers etc,others are dock workers and labourers.some later move into houses and continue as dock labourers,whilst the women are still hawkers.there is also a family of shaws there with them,with same occupations.tilbury is about 10 miles across the thames estuary from where my elizabeth buckley married in sheerness in 1841.sheerness is also a big dockyard town,i still live there now.im still clutching at straws,but its all about uncovering even tiny clues.im expecting thomas streeting/elizabeth buckleys marriage cert any day,itll be intresting to see what that reveals,it could blow all my theories out the window,but the evidence so far looks fairly compelling.ive started other threads on buckleys under joiner buckley etc,so any other thoughts and general info greatly appreciated,nel.

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 May 09 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Cherry Island was actually in London, near the Plaistow area I believe, but you are right in that a lot of Buckleys were settled there.  Some of my family were born and lived there.

I lived in Tilbury when I was very little and only live up the road to it now, and some Buckleys did move out that way. 

Joiner Buckley is my great x4 grandad.  My great nan was Hilda Buckley, daughter of Duriah and Annie, Duriah's dad was Frank, son of Joiner.
Buckley - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
babygirlbill,thanks for that,do you know anything about the shaw family who were with the buckleys at cherry island.my thomas streetings second partner was mary ann shaw,she was born in birmingham in c1832,they were living in cranbrook on 1881 and married there in 1885,she was a hawker.ive just sent for their marriage to see what that reveals.ive no idea what happened to elizabeth(buckley),i cant find a death entry,and thomas/elizabeth dont appear on 1861/71 census.the 1881 reveals daughter jane streeting born 1862 birmingham,but cant find her earlier.intrestingly,on 1871,theres a jane buckley born 1859 birmingham,umbrella mender,daughter of mary ann buckley born 1832,ireland,shes a hawker.id be grateful for anything on cherry island shaws or buckleys.also,do you know if your buckleys had connections to ireland/birmingham and suffolk,thanks,nel.

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 May 09 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im think there was a Shaw connection, maybe an Elizabeth?  I would have to go back through my notes and check for you.

I know my Buckleys had connections to Suffolk as some of the older ones were born there, and had their children christened there too.

Do you know the name of Elizabeth's parents?  or do you have any other Buckleys in your tree and I can see if they cross over onto mine and can help you out.
Buckley - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 May 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
hello again babygirlbill,i dont have elizabeths parents at the moment,im expecting the marriage cert any day,that will hopefully give me her father.ill give you the little i have to see if you recognise anyone.i have on the 1841 elizabeth buckley born 1821,henry buckley born 1838,elizabeth buckley born 1839 and mary buckley born 1840.living with them is robert streeting born c1816.a couple of doors away is mary buckley born c1791,living with james simmonds born 1791,charlotte simmonds born 1829,james simmonds born 1831 and henry simmonds born c1833.on the 1851 ive got robert streeting born 1820,canterbury,mary born 1819,british subject and four kids born canterbury.next door is his brother thomas born 1818,canterbury,elizabeth born 1821,england.plus six kids born canterbury.thomas and robert had a joint marriage in sheppey 1841,same ref numbers,the possible spouses were elizabeth buckley and mary ann hagarty.ive followed robert and mary ann to 1881,on the 1861 shes born england,cant find her on 1871,on the 1881 shes born ireland.thomas cant be found 1861/71,on the 1881 hes in cranbrook with mary ann born birmingham and daughter jane stretting born c1862,birmingham.he marries mary ann(shaw) in cranbrook 1885.there is a jane buckley umbrella mender born 1859 birmingham on 1871 with mother mary ann buckley born 1832 ireland,hawker.back to james simmonds/mary buckley.they are on 1851,james simmonds born 1797,isle of wight,charlotte(buckley) born 1792,benacre,suffolk,thomas buckley born 1829,dublin,bavin maker,james buckley born 1834 canterbury.henry simmonds(buckley) from 1841 is on later census travelling round country alone in lodging houses working as hawker of cutlery,pedlar,umbrella mender.this is everything i have.elizabeth buckley c1821,charlotte buckley c1792,mary buckley    1791,henry buckley,1833,thomas buckley,1829,james buckley 1834,henry,1838,elizabeth 1839,mary 1840, and mary ann shaw 1832.if you or anyone can make any sense of all this id be very grateful,nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
hello,i got this marriage cert back today and it says thomas streeting full age,batchelor,labourer,living at eastchurch,father john streeting,labourer.married elizabeth buckley full age spinster,no occupation,living eastchurch,father william buckley,labourer.cant find any william buckleys in kent on 1841,there is a william buckler(buckley) born 1815 essex on 1861,earthenware dealer,mary streetings husband daniel buck was an earthenware hawker,clutching at straws again,can anyone help please ? nel.