Author Topic: MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor  (Read 74655 times)

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 00:01 BST (UK) »
Joseph King Martyn appears on the Martyn Tree as marrying Kate Pike - is that the same as "Catherine Pengelly Martyn"?

There was a long thread on his cousin William Trewartha (1798/9 - 1869) five years ago - see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,288504.0.html

Denis

Offline Goldberry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
With regards to my previous post about children of John Martyn - the information was gained from the Family Search Website: https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Amartyn~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Acornwall%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1570-1600~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3AJohn~

I also thought the births looked close together, which is why I asked whether there was perhaps more than one John.

Offline AbiLynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone!  Just stumbled across this forum last night so of course I had to join.  I hope I am not too late to participate.

My husband is on the line from John Martyn & Gertrude Hiscutt:
 -their son Thomas m Sarah Darke
 -their son John m Margaret Alner Harvey
 -their son George Horace m Mary Eleanor Fendell
 -their son Robert Cecil m Gladys Vera Day (in Saskatchewan, Canada)
 -their son George Robert m Kathleen Irene Mang (in Saskatchewan, Canada)
 -their son is Charles Robert (my husband)

We have recently lost George Robert and now have possession of all his genealogy files, including the tree diagram created by S.S. Martyn, March 1856.

My first question for the group, based on going through the tree diagram:  is there some 'cousin on cousin' marriages in this family?  It looks like it but I don't want to assume.

Hope to hear back soon.

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 20 October 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, quite a few marriages between first cousins.

For a start, John Liddell and Gertrude Hiscutt were cousins - inbreeding doesn't seem to have had too bad an effect, seeing that they managed 55 grandchildren!  And some of those intermarried, for instance daughter Gertrude Symons's daughter Gertrude married Mary Liddell's son James.

Offline Demitrius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hello - I have a Martyn ancestor and I would be most interested to know more about your research into the family. I visited the church at St Columb Minor this week and had a chance to inspect a number of the Martyn tombstones and of course the east window. It is dedicated (1890) to William and Elizabeth Martyn. Do you know anything about them?

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can place them on the Martyn tree; I've pasted him and his children below.  He was son of John M (1737-99), son of Joseph, son of Thomas ..

How do you connect to the C19 Martyns?

Denis

4 William MARTYN b: 1775 c: 27 DEC 1775, of Trevithick?
- drowned in the Gannel (estuary, Crantock/Newquay) 15 Oct 1815 acc. Bibliotheca Cornubiensis
- m Elizabeth Darke 11 Nov 1802, Hatherleigh
                5 John Darke MARTYN b: 1804 - d 1877
- b Trevithick, 30 Nov 1803, d Padstow 27 Jan 1877; m 29 Jan 1834 Bodmin SSH of Treharrock, St Kew
                  + Susan Symons HAMBLY b: 1805 c: 20 JAN 1805 d: BEF 1871
                5 Elizabeth MARTYN
                5 Caroline MARTYN - b 1807/8, d ca Feb 1899, St Columb
- paid for "Martyn window" at St C Min
                5 Mary MARTYN - b 1808/9, m ca Aug 1852
                  + Constantine Bradford JOHNS b: 1805 -(also m(1) Mary Martyn, ca May 1838)
                5 William MARTYN b: 1811 - merchant & farmer at Trevemper Bridge, 1851
- leased Polwhele, Trevemper Bridge, from his brother in 1836
                5 Gertrude MARTYN
                5 Thomas MARTYN b: 1813 (1812?)-1893 (Bodmin ca Nov)
                  + Susanna Symons MARTYN b: 1812

Offline Demitrius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for that. I am descended from William Martyn, a physician, born in St Columb in 1816 - same name (William seems to be a family brand) but a different William, although curiously he seems also to have married an Elizabeth.

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Your Dr William Martyn (30 Sep 1815 - 21 Sep 1896) is referred to on the first page of a diary of my great-great grandparents George Walker and Susan Gertrude Liddell. On 9th June 1860 they moved to Wimbledon; two days later the entry reads `Dear Jemmy not well. We have not chosen our Doctor yet, so I wrote up to William Martyn.' His brother Silas Edward Martyn (1817-87), a warehouseman, also features in the diary.

Their father was Dr Thomas Martyn (1774-1826); he was a brother of the William (1775-1815) commemorated in the window, and they married sisters, Sarah and Elizabeth Darke respectively.  Their sister Mary Martyn (1770-1845) was a grandmother of Susan Gertrude Liddell, and thus a gggg-grandmother of mine.

If you send me a message with your email I could send you my annotated copy of the tree giving the numerous descendants up to 1850 of Thomas Martyn and Gertrude Turnavine who married in 1696.

Best wishes, Denis

Offline Demitrius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Denis - Many thanks for getting back to me. William was my gggrandfather. You can reach me at brian.mooney@btinternet.com

Best wishes