Author Topic: Albert Hunkin b. 1873 Mevagissey, Cornwall, England  (Read 8804 times)

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Hunkin b. 1873 Mevagissey, Cornwall, England
« on: Friday 28 November 14 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Looking for parents of Albert Hunkin b. 19 June 1873, Mevagissey, Cornwall, Eng. (supposedly), died 11 Jan 1954, Redruth, Cornwall, England. According to his marriage certificate his father's name was William Thomas Hunkin, a sailor in the Merchant Services. No mother's name was listed on either the marriage or death certificates. Albert was supposed to have lived in Mevagissey until the last year/s of his life.

Albert married 30 Nov 1904, Zion Chapel, St Austell, Cornwall, England, Mary Grace Thomas b. 17 Nov 1882, Mevagissey, d. 10 June 1949, Mevagissey.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Hunkin b. 1873 Mevagissey, Cornwall, England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 November 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
The Mother's name would not be shown on a UK Marriage Certificate.All that is shown on a UK Death Certificate is the name of the Informant of the death.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 November 14 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Not a common name is it but I can't find his birth or a fathers marriage nor either on a census prior which is no help to you at all  :(
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 November 14 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Not a common name is it but I can't find his birth or a fathers marriage nor either on a census prior which is no help to you at all  :(

It makes me wonder if his first name was indeed Albert and if he was actually born in Cornwall let alone Megavissey. If his father was a merchant marine it's possible he could have been born anywhere, especially if mum decided to live with her parents while William was at sea.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I think he could be possibly the Albert Hunkin Robert birth Sept qtr 1873 St Austell 5c 136 with a large ROBERTS family in 1891 RG12/1824/11/16

EDIT in 1881 aged 7 he is a visitor to a Samuel Myers 68 occ General Dealer b Plymouth, with a Mary Roberts 43 Widow occ Servant at 43, Duke Street, Devonport
Census Ref RG11/2207/3/2
Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 November 14 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi I think he could be possibly the Albert Hunkin Robert birth Sept qtr 1873 St Austell 5c 136 with a large ROBERTS family in 1891 RG12/1824/11/16

EDIT in 1881 aged 7 he is a visitor to a Samuel Myers 68 occ General Dealer b Plymouth, with a Mary Roberts 43 Widow occ Servant at 43, Duke Street, Devonport
Census Ref RG11/2207/3/2
Keyboard86

This is a possibility. If Albert H Roberts in the 1891 census is the brother of Joseph Roberts and is the son of Mary Roberts in the 1881 census I believe I found Mary and Joseph Roberts (this Joseph matches ages with 1891 Joseph within a year) together in the 1871 census RC10/2268/15/21. She's listed as a widow in the 1871 census also, but I've got to wonder if she just put that down so as to avoid the stigma of illegitimate children. It would also explain why Albert went by Hunkin in his adult life and not Roberts if in fact Albert Hunkin and Albert Hunkin Roberts are the same person.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 November 14 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, no I believe she was married to a Richard Roberts in Sept qtr 1858 St Austell 5c 219 as Mary Robins, and is on the 1861 with Richard and young Joseph on RG09/1550/6/6
Interestingly in the 1871 living a few doors away is a Hunkin family ( no William)!

Keyboard86

Offline broughps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 November 14 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, no I believe she was married to a Richard Roberts in Sept qtr 1858 St Austell 5c 219 as Mary Robins, and is on the 1861 with Richard and young Joseph on RG09/1550/6/6
Interestingly in the 1871 living a few doors away is a Hunkin family ( no William)!

Keyboard86

Curiouser and curiouser. Mary is listed with Joseph in the 1891 census along with Albert so we know she hadn't married William Thomas Hunkin by then if ever.

We know William Thomas Hunkin was a sailor in the Merchant service. Probably why he's not listed on the 1871 census. Could also mean he is a member of that Hunkin family that lived down the road from Mary in the 1871 census. Maybe he and Mary met on one of his shore leaves. She got pregnant, he didn't return or denied paternity. All speculation of course.

Albert Hunkin doesn't show up in any censuses until 1911. Does he show up in the 1901 census at Albert Hunkin Roberts? If he is the son of Mary Robins Roberts and William Thomas Hunkin I can see him dropping the Roberts as an adult.

I'll have to give the info to the gal I'm do the work for and she can order Albert Hunkin Roberts' birth certificate. Maybe it will list both parents.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 November 14 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I think he is still with his brother and mother in 1901 age incorrectly shown as 23 on my site, still as Roberts, just wondering if this is him what made him revert to the Hunkin surname?
Census Ref RG13/2213/11/14

If he is living in Cliff Street in 1911 then it looks like his mother/brother etc are close by.

Keyboard86