Author Topic: Charles James Walker born 1830-1831 Middlesex England - Assistance please.  (Read 7451 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles James Walker born 1830-1831 Middlesex England - Assistance please.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 December 14 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Is Middlesex cleared stated on that certificate, or could it be something else?

Also - father a farmer?

Just wondered.

Offline JayKay52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 December 14 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat,

Certificate clearly shows Middlesex and father farmer.

Thought it might have been Middlewich but it is clearly Middlesex.

Mind you that does not mean that who ever wrote out the cert wrote it correctly.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 December 14 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Morning Post 8 April 1843: Peter Mottram 15, Charles Walker, 15, William Gaskell, 10, were found guilty of breaking into the dwelling-house of Matthew Shaw, at Macclesfield during the night of 4 January, and stealing a pair of trousers, a purse containing 9/6 and other articles.

They were tracked to a cabin by the victim who followed the marks of their bare feet in the snow, and found Mottram and Walker putting their clogs on, and with the stolen property on them.

Chester Chronicle 14 April 1843 - Charles Walker and Peter Mottram; transportation for 10 years; Wm Gaskell 6 months imprisonment
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 December 14 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I agree that the person could have heard Middlewich and written Middlesex.

However, why was the father recorded as a farmer if he were a weaver?

Also, Harriet, age 1 in 1841 is not recorded as the daughter (relationship not specified for 1841), so could easily be a granddaughter.

Offline JayKay52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 December 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ,

That is most interesting news articles. Thank you for finding it for me.  There are many who believe that Charles Walker was transported to Australia and I am trying to corroborate it.
Cheers John

Offline JayKay52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 December 14 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat,

Yes we saw Harriet in the census and that was one of my questions, was Rachel too old to have a child of 1 so also assumed she was a granddaughter.

We are beginning to think that Charles may have coloured the truth a bit on his marriage certificate, perhaps thinking that he could hide his "travels to Australia" by giving different location of birth and occupation of his father, never for a moment thinking that 100 or so years into the future all would be revealed.

In Australia he is quite a prominent person in local family history as a pioneer of the district in Willow Grove so if this is the correct person, then he made good the error of his ways.

There is another census in 1841 showing a Rachel Walker and a few children including a Charles but no William Walker and some people have noted this family as Charles' family so there is a bit of confusion running rife about him.

We need to find information about him during the period between his arrival in Australia and the marriage in 1859 so will keep looking. 

Thanks again for all your help. Cheers John

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
JayKay52,

Are you still trying to confirm whether or not Charles WALKER was a "Parkhurst Boy" transported on the Randolph and married Esther DAVIDSON?

Please let me know and if so as I have a completed Biography for him which you may care to read.

For now,

BAC3

Offline JayKay52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 March 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi BAC3, would love to read your biography! Cheers John

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 March 15 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Delighted my message reached you.

Before I send you the Biography, and my email is given to you in a separate PM for you confirm your address in reply, we need to clarify which Charles WALKER we are talking about.

The first is the one born in Middlesex.  I think you are of the opinion he was transported as an "Exile" via the Randolph, in which case he was sent to NSW, the ship being refused landing rights in Port Phillip, and from there he went to Moreton Bay and worked in the Darling Downs, employed by W. & G. Leslie.   The question I ask is why did he migrate to Victoria?   It is that question I pose in the Biography too!!

There is another Charles WALKER from Cheshire, also an "Exile", who was transported via the Maitland.   He stayed in Victoria and you have dismissed him as being the correct Charles WALKER.   Other Ancestry Public Member Trees have chosen him to be Esther DAVIDSON's husband!!!

So we immediately have a genealogical conflict ;D   

I think the best possible resolution would be if you could let me have copies of any Certificates you have available, Marriage and Death for instance.  I can then analyse them and determine whether or not the details prove where Charles WALKER came from.   Either Cheshire or Middlesex.  By the way, I have full personal details of both these "Exiles" up to the moment they reach Australia.

Please look for the PERSONAL MESSAGE with my email address.

For the moment,

Tony