Author Topic: Margaret Ann Kelly 1902 Glasgow who was her parents?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Ann Kelly 1902 Glasgow who was her parents?
« on: Monday 04 August 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I have a marriage of a Margaret Ann Kelly 1922 to a James Weir in the Carlton district of Glasgow. They both marry from 111 Craythorn Street, Margaret Ann's age is 20 on the certificate. She states her father is Robert Kelly carter deceased and her mother Margaret Kelly nee Cameron. I have tried to trace Margaret Ann's parentage but I can only find a Margaret Ann with an Archibald Kelly, Soldier born 1902 but with a  Mother Margaret Ann Cameron. I can find the Margaret Kelly born to Archibald on the 1911 census but can not trace one with a Robert and Margaret. I think Kelly maybe an Irish name but I am assuming since the mother was a Cameron that Margaret Ann was born in Scotland.

Can anyone help me trace Robert Kelly and Margaret Cameron - I have looked for a marriage and can not find it in any county, I have looked up a couple of Robert Kelly death pre 1922 and can't find the correct one. I have spent quite a bit of money on the Scottish Website and before I try more names I thought I would try and ask of anyone has any details of this family or even any ideas. I even entertained the idea that Archibald was called Robert but can not find a pre 1922 relevant death and Archibald was not a carter.

I have also tried the 1901 census in case her age was out on the marriage certificate by a couple of years but no joy. I have looked for a Robert & Margaret combination pre 1911 but none that seem to fit either from Robert's employment or the age of Margaret.

Any help with this couple gratefully received. The one thing I haven't yet done is check to see if she was born out of wedlock. Margaret Ann Weir nee Kelly lived a nice long life so I can not check her death certificate so see what her parentage was then other than ordering it at a high cost - and it might say the same thing.

Debbie

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Ann Kelly 1902 Glasgow who was her parents?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 August 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Have you checked this one which was also in the Calton area - although the mans first name is Archibald rather than Robert - possibly he was known within the family as Robert

1897   KELLY   ARCHIBALD   CAMERON   MARGARET   CALTON (GLASGOW)   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/04 0422

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 August 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
I did find this marriage though not downloaded it. Archibald and Margaret do have a son called Robert - not sure if things got a bit muddled. I just found Archibald and Margaret on the 1901 census with their 2 year old son Robert. I have looked at Margaret Ann Senior death certificate from 1952 and it states she is married to Archibald Kelly not widowed and I have looked for a death of an Archibald Kelly from 1911 to 1922 and there is none and Margaret Ann jnr specifically states her father is deceased in 1922. I found an Archibald death in 1971 aged 92 which could possibly be the Archibald married to Margaret.

Thank you for your thoughts, it helped me pull a few things together in my mind - I am now wondering if they never married or perhaps Margaret was married to someone before and didn't marry under the surname Cameron!

Regards

Debbie

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 August 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
If any of the children were born in Scotland their birth details should have the parents marriage details on them (from 1861 onwards)  even if the marriage was outside Scotland.

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

My problem is I can not identify Margaret Ann Kelly Birth Certificate, I have traced one which is the Archibald as the father and does state the marriage date. Margaret Ann did remarry but after the time you can look at the certificates on line and therefore it would cost about £12 and I may not get any further. It might be my only option.

Thanks

Debs

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 August 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

What were the witnesses names to the 1922 marriage? What about children's names from Margaret Ann's first marriage to James Weir, were there any surnames used as middle names for their children? Do the names Robert and Margaret feature in the children's names?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 August 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi There

One of the witness was Daniel Weir James' brother the other didn't seem related.

I am doing this research for a friends daughter who knows nothing about her father's family and unfortunately he was a late baby and most of his relatives had died before he reached adult hood so he knows nothing either. We do not know if there were any other children born to Margaret Ann Kelly and James Weir or if there were any other children born to the mysterious Robert Kelly and Margaret Cameron. So far it has cost me a fortune and I have got no where! I should just leave it alone and go onto something else but I hate a brick wall. ???

Regards

Debs

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 August 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
We all hate brick walls, Debs, don't we  :'(

How kind (obsessed  :P  ;)) of you to try to help here!  You are not in Scotland are you? This period that you are in is you hard to research online as you are finding. Being in Scotland and able to visit a main genealogy centre would let you view more recent records economically.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 August 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
I have just found a death of a Robert Kelly in 1907 in Hutchestown occupation Van Driver (similar to Carter) who was married to an Agnes Cameron! Well this time the male seems correct but the Margaret has now been substituted for Agnes. But just found a marriage of a Robert Kelly to an Agnes Cameron in 1907 Grrrr! Thought I was there for a minute!

On the 1911 census there is a Margaret Kelly widow Hutchestown age 31 with 4 children; John age 10, Margaret age 9 and Dennis age 7. I wonder if Margaret was also known as Agnes and that although they didn't marry until 1907 they may have had children before then..... Think further nosing around and a few more pennies!