Author Topic: Help with Andrew Boddon of Carsphairn  (Read 18793 times)

Offline glesgaguy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Andrew Boddon of Carsphairn
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 January 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Matt, thanks

You've done it again, it all matches my information, I trust your not physically trudging the graveyards for the information.

So far I've got back 5 generations on this Female line, I don't trust the Male line since I found one of my Great Great Grandfathers was illegitimate, the old saying "you always know your mother but can never be sure of your father" holds true.

Now if I could find more on Elizabeth Locke, I believe she came from Parton whilst Robert came from Irongray, thing is I can't find them anywhere on the 1841 census on Scotlands People.

Thanks again for everything
Tom

Offline newforest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 January 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom & Matt .

What a couple of stars you are ... Iv.e spent weeks on and off trying to find any tangiable links back from my G G Grandfather Robert Boddon.
He married in Lancashire in 1865 and died there in 1878 . Only4 of his 6 children appear to have survived ... my Grandfather William , son John , and 2 daughters Margaret & Marion (currently unable to trace but still trying ) .. family rumour is that one daughter became a prominent doctor back in Scotland ,but cannot trace or prove  ... so fact or fantasy ??    I have no idea .

Am waiting on Roberts birth certificate but it seems almost certain he is the one you have identified ...
Had previously found traces of 2 other Roberts one born 1839 and other born 1845 ... neither fitted but feel we have right one now .
I have found birth records of Robert and 2 marions on Scotlandspeople and parents are clearly shown as Andrew Boddon and Margaret MacMillan spouses .

I have always wondered where the McMillan came from , and both my father , and my Grandfathers brother were named Andrew , so this link would make a lot of sense.

I have also had same problem with names/spelling  etc .. but where have they all gone ??
By 1911 the only Boddons I can find on the census are my lot .

Thanks again for info and help

Jane

Offline glesgaguy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 January 10 12:18 GMT (UK) »
It does seem now that we do have the same common ancestor Andrew Boddon.

You'll find the census document on Scotlandspeople for 1841 showing the family.

Search:
Andrew Bodden (sic)
age 35
Kirkcubright
Carsphairn

This will show Robert aged 6 months

For the McMillan Grandparents in 1851

Search:

Robert Bodin (sic)
age 10
Kirkcubright
Kilpatrick Durham

It cornfirms the correct family as the sisters names are the same with the correct ages
You'll need to buy the previous page for the grandparents details.

You can also get the Will/Testament for Robert McMillan (cost £5) from Scotlandspeople

Search:

McMillan
Robert

This confirms the link to Andrew Boddan (sic) surgeon, it makes quite interesting reading IMO.

It's also likely that Andrews parents could be the ones mentioned above by Matt in the James Bodden family grave 1770-1839 as the year range seems correct.

As far as the correct spelling of the name goes, my ancestor gave the spelling as Boddon on her marraige cert, although the grave stone states Bodden, take your pick ;D

Tom

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 January 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom & Jane,
Glad the information was helpful. I have some further MI's re the Bodden/Boddon families. If you would like me to forward it let me know. I will then pass on my home E-mail addy.
I am going back up to Scotland in April to search the grave yards again so will take pics of these headstone for you then.
Rgds Matt.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline newforest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 January 10 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt .

The information you have has been most helpful Thanks.
I am now tying in your info with details I had managed to uncover , and the mist is lifting slightly !
Any other information you have that is relevant to the Boddons would be most helpful .
What is your line of connection to the Boddons. ?? ... mine is direct  through the male line .
Regards
Jane

Offline glesgaguy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 January 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Matt.

I've PM'd you with my details.

Thanks
Tom

Offline glesgaguy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 January 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt .

I am now tying in your info with details I had managed to uncover , and the mist is lifting slightly !
Any other information you have that is relevant to the Boddons would be most helpful .
What is your line of connection to the Boddons. ?? ... mine is direct  through the male line .
Regards
Jane

Jane

I presume your birth name is Jane Boddon, if so it's another coincidence, as you maybe have noticed from my previous post that that was my ancestors name, Jane Boddon :) :)

Tom

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 January 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt .

Regards
Jane

Hi Jane. Sorry I have no connection to your family. Just a couple of books of MIs,  plenty of freetime & trying to help out fellow researchers when & where I can. Will send you a personal message with my e-mail addy.

Tom have just sent you the first installment.The booklets state that if I copy them onto this site I will be in breach of their copyright !

Matt

Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline newforest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 January 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom.

Yes I did notice your ancestor was Jane Boddon.
By coincidence my GG Grandmother was also Jane Boddon (nee Price )
I was Jane Boddon by birth but now King.
Must keep in touch as more details come to ligt

Thanks and regards
Jane.