Author Topic: Peter Lawlanier - I think!!  (Read 13136 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Lawlanier - I think!!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruskie

Yes, Lucy's family were also weavers, and they had come over in 1726, her first marriage was to either to  a Hawkes or Dukes, who was a carpenter, at the moment am chasing the Hawkes to see if I can find a connection there.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:34 GMT (UK) »
As you point out Richard Spitalfields was really a mixed bag, we have Daniel Boitel (the son of Adrien Boitel - Who married Jeanne Eusebe) - Jeanne was Lucy's older sister.

Now Daniel and his son (also Daniel ) lived and worked at 14 Steward St in the liberty of the Artillery Ground, it appears the father had three wives, the son only one wife and no children, when he died was able to leave a lot of money, for example £500 to his cousin Peter Guichet and a further considerable amounts to St Matthews and the French Hospital, this was in 1826.

Whereas Michel Eusebe had to ask the Hospital for help in 1742 and in 1773 his son also was in the same bad situation.   As you say a Mixed Bag !!

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

Yes Steward/Stewart Street was one of the very wealthy streets. Steward Street, Gun Street, Church Street, Wood Street and Princes Street were where the main concentration of silk manufacturers businesses and homes were in Spitalfields.

I have a list of the Huguenots who operated there in the 18th century which includes Daniel:

William Le Blond (Clock Maker)      1776-1800           31, Steward Street, Spitalfields
Obadiah Legrew (Silk Manufacturer)   1776-1800           28, Steward Street, Spitalfields
Guillemard & Sons (Silk Manufacturer)   1751-1800           20 Steward Street, Spital fields
Robert Leblond   (Silk Manufacturer)   1776-1800           18, Steward Street, Spitalfields
John Baptist Lemonier (Silk Manufacturer)1776-1800   18, Steward Street, Spitalfields
Peter Guillebaud (Silk Manufacturer)   1776-1800           16, Steward Street, Spitalfields
Daniel Boitel   (Silk Manufacturer)   1776-1800           14, Steward Street, Spitalfields
Delahaye & Dupray, (Black Silk Weavers)               13, Steward Street, Spitalfields
Lambert John, (Silk-broker)                             12, Steward Street, Spitalfields
Bartholomew Nenney (Silk Manufacturer)1776-1800   10, Steward Street, Spitalfields,
James Auber    (Silk Manufacturer)                 7, Steward Street, Spitalfields
John Duthoit   (Silk Manufacturer)   1751-1775           4, Steward Street, Spitalfields
A. P. Vansenten    (Silk Manufacturer)   1776-1800    2, Stewart Street, Spitalfields
Abraham Delamare (Silk Manufacturer)   1751-1775    Steward Street, Spitalfields
John Delamare   (Silk Manufacturer)   1751-1775           Steward Street, Spitalfields
William Jordan   (Silk Manufacturer)   1751-1775           Steward Street, Spitalfields
Peter Le Keux   (Silk Manufacturer)   1751-1775    Stewart Street, Spitalfields
John Lewis   (Silk Manufacturer)           1751-1775           Steward Street, Spitalfield
Stephen Beuzeville (Silk Manufacturer)    1751-1775    Steward Street, Spitalfields
Peter Beuzeville (Silk Manufacturer)    1775-1800    Steward Street, Spitalfields
Peter Ferry Michel (Silk Manufacturer)   1776-1800     Stewart Street, Spitalfields

Some very distinguished names in the English silk weaving business there such as the Guillemards, Delamares and Aubers. Peter Le Keux also had premesis in Red Lion Street, his grandfather Charles Marescoe was one of the original three Huguenot refugees who started the Spitalfields silk weaving industry in the 1660's. Peter was one of the ten most wealthy Huguenots in Britain, he would have been a millionaire many times over by today's standards.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 January 13 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, just an "outside the square" offering here - but what if Law is his middle name? Peter Law C???, just an observation after looking at the actual image.
Jo  ???
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 January 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

That's great at least one of ours got somewhere, wonder if any of his work might be in the V&A ?

By 1823 he  ( the younger) had moved to Wood St - question where is or was Wood street, have walked what is left of Steward St, but couldn't find Wood St ?

I suppose 'Marescoe' could not have ended up as Macaire ? And so solving the riddle of Solomon?

See Jo has come up with another possible ?

Thanks Jo.

Best

John

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 January 13 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

Woods Street had its name changed to 'Wilkes Street' in the 19th century. It runs directly off the side of Christchurch Spitalfields. I wrote a little article on it myself 'The Weavers of Wood Street' a few years back with potted genealogies of the various Huguenot families who lived there. Like Steward Street it was almost exclusively silk manufacturers living there, though unfortunately the scope of my own study was 1700-1800 so I have no information on the Boitels time there.

One of my own relations Daniel Debray, who was married to my great aunt Charlotte Mourgue, had his business there at 14 Wood Street. Some of the buildings still survive there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubens1577/6246676174/

Daniel was born in Normandy, and with his business partner was one of the official silk weavers to the Tower Liberty, supplying the royal family with silks for their apartments at the Tower of London. He was one of the manufacturers who had their looms and premises attacked in the Spitalfields riots of the 1760's, which famously saw two weavers  strung up outside the Salmon and Ball Public House on the Cambridge Road, Bethnal Green.

Thank you for sending your article through to me on your trip to France John, made for fascinating reading!

Richard

Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 January 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Richard

Thanks for Wood/Wilkes street, yes I did walk past it !!!!  Since fleet seem to be certain our man was a Silk Weaver and came from Christchurch Spitalfields, he should have been in those Streets somewhere, on your survey of Wood Street is there any name that might be near  to our reading off the name?

Best

John

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 January 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello John

I have a database of all the silk manufacturers in Wood Street and wider Spitalfields, and Peter Lawlanan is not there or anyone with a similar sort of name. Bare in mind though these account for a fraction of the weavers, approximately 100 names in the 18th century, the manufacturers were the very top of the industry.

At the time around 15,000 working looms were in use in Spitalfields, and about 40,000 persons in total employed in the industry. Most of those were journeymen weavers. So the likelyhood is Peter would have been among the 99% plus in this later category. If they joined the Weavers Company sometimes apprenticeship records can be found for them. They may also appear on surviving tax records etc, but unfortunately no, not likely to appear on the trade directories like the wealthy manufacturers and brokers.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

A needle in Haystack job is our man, when I get over to UK in the spring will have another dig around. Slightly off subject, but concerning Wood St did you happen to come across a John Samson & wife Mary  living at 15 Wood street, he had strong ties with the Daniel Boitels ?

Maybe as much as I can do on  family Eusebe for the moment now time to turn to the Boitels I think. Any thoughts on where the ones coming over in 1726 might have lived?
Best

John