Author Topic: William Rogers born Brentford, Middlesex 1851  (Read 5179 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Rogers born Brentford, Middlesex 1851
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 June 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete

Well, the birth cert seems to confirm the info you posted when you started this topic, parents names correct and date of birth ties up nicely with age at death.

Do you need any more help or is this now completed?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 June 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

Yes, the birth date fits perfectly with his death date of 3 July 1934 in Cairns, Queensland, Australia.  I have an obituary where it says he was 82 years 11 months old when he died so I am 100% sure now I have the right William Rogers.

My next quest is to find out what happened to William's parents Thomas and Harriett.  I can't seem to find anything on either of them after the 1881 census.  I am guessing that both may have died before 1891.  In 1881 Thomas was 66 and Harriett was 65 according to the birth years that I have.  If anybody could help me find out when and where they died I would appreciate it.  Regards, Pete.
Reilly, Rogers, Anderson, Greasley, Johnson, Jackson, McDougall, Sendall, Lapp, Follett, Orr, Lovelock, McCoombe, Stratton, Sendall, Treliving

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 June 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete

There's a death entry on freebmd

September 1882

Thomas Rogers, aged 62, Brentford 3a 56

and a corresponding entry in the probate calendar for 1882

31 October 1882

Administration of the personal estate of
Thomas Rogers late of the “Fox & Hounds” Inn Old
Brentford in the County of Middlesex Licensed Victualler
who died 4 September 1882 at Brentford in the said County
was granted at the principal registry to Harriett
Rogers of the “Fox & Hounds” Widow the Relict
Personal Estate £175 10s 4d

So unfortunately he didn't leave a will

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn,  I had Thomas's birth as about July 1815 so by September 1882 he would have been 67.  Do you think the handwriting on the death record could mistake a 7 for a 2?

It is definitely our Thomas though.

And Harriett outlived him but for how long?
Reilly, Rogers, Anderson, Greasley, Johnson, Jackson, McDougall, Sendall, Lapp, Follett, Orr, Lovelock, McCoombe, Stratton, Sendall, Treliving

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Rogers born Brentford, Middlesex 1851 - Completed
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 July 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn, thanks for all your help.  I have started a new post to talk about Harriett as I suppose it gets a bit messy introducing new questions after several pages.  Thanks, Pete.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
I have just posted this information on your new post

Could this be Harriet
Death June qtr 1890   
Rogers    Harriet   
age 73   
Fulham    1a   163

Probate
Will - Late of 68 Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith-died 11 June 1890 at that address.
Proved by Elizabeth Goddard daughter, wife of William George Goddard of 70 Fulham Palace Road and James Rogers of The American Hotel, Portsmouth Licensed Victualler -the son
£274. 11s.0d
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 July 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hei Pete,

After contributing to your other post and now reading this I am wondering if you are aware of the website www.freebmd.org.uk. Many of the responses you have been given are a result of fairly straightforward searches on that site. Whilst it has some gaps in the registers that have been indexed it does give a very good starting point for finding BMDs in England & Wales. The index references on the site can then be used to buy copies of the relevant certificates from www.gro.gov.uk.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline pjreill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 July 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Craclyn, I hadn't really used the freebmd before tonight when it was mentioned I went straight to it and I have bookmarked it now.  I am from Australia and I have an ancestry.com.au tree but it's amazing how little ancestry can find on their searches compared to some of these other sites.  I'm still a bit of a learner for searches outside of Australia.  I'm getting pretty good at the Aussie stuff though over the last year but now I find myself branching out the the older ancestors and they are all overseas.  This is where I now hit the brick walls.  Thankyou for all your help though, it's wonderful.  Regards, Pete

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 July 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Another site that should be useful for you is www.familysearch.org
Take a look at it, go to SEARCH then choose RECORDS from the dropdown. Lots of good stuff there from all over the world. Takes a bit of playing about to get the hang of the filters on the left hand side but once you have tried a few searches you will get used to it.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn