Author Topic: Have I found William's brother?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Have I found William's brother?
« on: Sunday 04 March 12 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm fairly hopeful that I have had one of those breakthrough discoveries, and would be interested to hear your opinions.

William Walker (my 3rd ggf) was born in 'Selkirk' in about 1798. He later moved to Paisley where he married and raised a family. Like numerous others, he was a weaver and later a shawl manufacturer. If he and his wife named their children in strict accordance with Scottish tradition, then William's parents were called Andrew (name given to 1st son) and Isabella (name given to 2nd daughter).

In William's testamentary writing of 1834, he named John Walker as one of his executors. Paisley Trade Directories indicate that John and William were also business partners for a short time.

Yesterday, I established that John's 1st son was called Andrew, his 2nd daughter was named Isabella AND he was born in Selkirk - Yarrowford to be exact.

Surely these men must have been brothers; possibly sons of Andrew Walker and Isobel Hog whose marriage took place in Selkirk on 6 Dec 1778.

Does anybody share my assessment?

Justin

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Have I found William's brother?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Strong possibility they were brothers, do you have records of BAPTISMS from the OPR's?

When did they die?

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sanct,

William died 8th May 1834, three days after writing his testament - he was only 35 or 36.

John appears to have written his will in about 1865, which corresponds to his absence from  the 1871 census.

Several years ago I spent many hours scouring the Selkirk baptismal registers for any sign of William (I hadn't twigged about John at the time). I came to the conclusion that his family were Seceders (as many were in Selkirk), and had not had him baptised in the established church.

Yarrowford straddles the parish border, so it's possible that William and John were baptised there.

Justin

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 12 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin

What do you estimate potential brother John's birth year to be?

Monica

PS: Just found his 1851 census entry with family in Paisley - so born c. 1787.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 12 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Death - Abbey District of Paisley
6 April 1865 at Gateside, Paisley  (this coincides with the  address shown in the wills index)
John Walker, formerly a shawl manufacturer, married to Margaret ?
Aged 79
Parents - Andrew Walker,shoemaker and Isabella M.S. Hogg, both deceased.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 12 10:04 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic!!! Thank you very much indeed. What a great start to the week.

I had seen John's will, but hadn't even thought to check the civil death records on SP. I haven't looked at my Scottish side in quite a while - well that's my excuse anyway.

I had previously noted the Selkirk baptism of an Andrew, son of James Walker and Agnes Moody in 1745. He would certainly have been a bit beyond the usual marrying age, i.e. he would have been 33 in 1778.

Is it time to take a gamble and lash out another £7 on SP? At least I would regain use of 43 old credits.

Justin

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Justin, not sure when you last added units but you now have one full year to use them which might help in your decision whether to re-activate!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Well,  the temptation was too great and I took  the plunge, and as you say, Monica, I have a further 364 days to use up the credits.

I have now established that Andrew Walker, a shoemaker in Yarrowford, married Isobel Hog in Selkirk on 6 Dec 1778.

Isobel/Isabel appears to have been the daughter of John Hog, a wright in Hangingshawmains (later in Yarrowford).

However, there are no children attributed to Andrew and Isabel in either Selkirk or Yarrow.

Will keep searching ...

Justin