Author Topic: marriage in Porthmadog  (Read 3391 times)

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage in Porthmadog
« on: Monday 14 April 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find a marriage record for my great grandparents and I've hit a brick wall!My great grandfather was called John Roberts and was born in 1863 in Porthmadog. He married Ellen Griffith ( also tried searching Griffiths).She was originally from Maentwrog but lived in Porthmadog on the 1881 census. Their eldest child was born in 1885 so I presume they married a year or so before then but cant find anything. Would be grateful of any help.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage in Porthmadog
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon
Have you seen the John Roberts and Ellen Griffiths married Mar 1882 Festiniog 11b 481 ?
Not brilliant on Welsh geography for the area but isn't that nearby?
Ciderdrinker

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
no havent seen that one. where did u find it? it couldpossibly be ffestiniog due to the boundary changes since then

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 April 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
Up to Sept 1935 Portmadoc and Beddgelert were in Festiniog Registration District. North Wales BMD have the marriage (if it's the same one) under Pwllheli. This, I assume refers to the registration Office where the record is now kept. It gives surname Griffith and GriffithS. This is  probably because of different spelling of surname for the bride and her father. The marriage is shown as having taken place in the parish church of Ynyscynhaearn, and should therefore be recorded in the Parish Register for that church, which is kept in Caernarfon Archives Office.
Emyr

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I found it on Freebmd .there is also another one at
Pwllheli June 1888 11b 637
Ellen Griffiths and John Roberts on the same page.

Also Ellen Griffiths and John Roberts at Bangor 11b 753.June 1882.
Hope that helps
Ciderdrinker

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:45 BST (UK) »
thanks both of you for your help. I have phoned the council for a copy so cross fingers!

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Ynyscynhaearn marriage details from Parish Register:
21/01/1882   John Roberts  Full Age   Bachelor   Labourer   Residence Portmadoc   Father John Roberts, Labourer;
Ellen Griffiths   Full Age    Spinster      ----       Residence Portmadoc    Father Robert Griffiths, Labourer;
Witnesses    Richard Griffith  and  Ann Owen.

I believe I've found the family of Ellen, 1841, 1851 & 1861 Censuses (haven't  checked following Censuses). 1841 & 1851  at Maentwrog, 1861 at Portmadoc. 1861 Census, daughter Ellin aged 5, born Maentwrog. Ellen(Ellin)'s parents , Robert Griffith, born Llangian or Pwllheli, and Ellin, born Tremadoc or Penmorfa. 
If you think this is the correct family I'll post further details. There's also a possible marriage, Ynyscynhaearn Church 1837, for Robert Griffith/Ellen.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
The 1837 Ynyscynhaearn marriage:
Robert Griffith  25  bachelor  labourer  residence at time of marriage - Ystumllyn in the parish of Criccieth   Father  Griffith Hughes, labourer;
Ellen Roberts  24  Spinster   Ynyshir in this parish   father  Robert James, labourer.
Date 08/07/1837     Forgot to record name of witnesses !
Emyr

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 April 14 14:45 BST (UK) »
great thanks Emyr. Had found the family in 3 penstryd Maentwrog on census but didn't know they were married in Ynyscynhaearn.The fact that my great grandfathers father was also called John Roberts makes that side of things difficult to follow but will try and see if theres anything about the marriage in local papers of the time. Regarding John Roberts and Ellen Griffith, if it states they were married in Ynyscynhaeran does that mean they were married in the church in pentrefelin or that it could be in Porthmadog also?