Author Topic: Harewood - John Handley Marriage 1807  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Harewood - John Handley Marriage 1807
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 August 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry for omitting - she was a widow and was in receipt of Parish Relief.   Living with her as "Lodgers" were Hannah Barrett unmarried b 1824 Dunkeswich and  Thomas Barrett b 1850 Dunkeswich

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 August 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Goughy. I appreciate your help. Also saved me a bus ride to the library.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 August 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi bolttail

John Hanley X Jane Dewce

marriage:

29 August 1803

Castleford, York, England

The 1837 HISTORY, GAZETTEER, AND DIRECTORY,
OF THE WEST-RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, for  Rotherham

has 'Carriers by land'

1 Retford, Geo Smith, Tue and Fri 4 aft
Sheffield, Thos. Myers, Bridge gate; John Handley, Masbro; and Edw Wilkinson, from Pigeon ln daily at 10 morning
&
J Handley, Masbro Tu & to Doncaster Wed and Sat

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/TRANSCRIPTIONS-UK/2001-11/1006369799

Can you give any light to the occupations of these fathers John Handley as below
and if they can be picked up on census 41c onwards (Either as same person John or two seperate John's as occupations

John and Jane Handley baptism of their son Charles Handley 17 June 1808 Dronfield

Also  John and Jane Handley of Baptisms of sons William Handley 4 Nov 1810 & Thomas Handley 28 Nov 1813 both of Treeton
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 August 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfam. I have never been able to identify John and Jane Handley in any census record (in the Sheffield/Rotherham area) or find any burial record for them. I can find Charles, the son baptized in Dronfield, who became a Sheffield silversmith.

As you can see from the replies of 'Calverley Lad' and 'Goughy', it appears that the John and Jane who married in Harewood may never have left the Leeds area, though of course it is possible that they moved to the Sheffield area after their marriage and returned 'home' after their family grew up.

I perhaps should mention that I am really looking for the origins of one Benjamin Handley (my 3g grandfather) who married in Dronfield in 1812, who had two children (Charles and Benjamin) baptized in Chesterfield, and two further children (Charles and Mary) baptized in Hatfield near Doncaster.

There appears to have been no Handley activity in Dronfield prior to 1808, then we have John Handley baptizing a child 'Charles', followed by Benjamin Handley marrying and naming two of his sons 'Charles'. Either Benjamin and John were related (brothers, cousins?) or it's just a big coincidence.

Having failed to find an origin for Benjamin (born Yorkshire about 1782), I thought I would 'chase John' and see where that went. As you can see, I'm getting nowhere in that direction either.

For the benefit of any kind person who goes looking for options, I had better mention that Benjamin son of John Handley baptized at Aston in 1781 was buried at Aston in 1782, and Benjamin son of Anthony Handley baptized Sheffield in 1788 was buried at St James, Sheffield, in 1793.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 August 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bolttail

Your thread interests me!  ::) as it has similar near parish/abode locations to my own mothers family history, though mum moved to Huddersfield into domestic service from Chesterfield/Bolsover area , then married my dad who was born in and settled with mum after marriage in Huddersfield (Similar to her Gran before marriage finding work! I mention earlier) Mums dad (My Granddad) was born in Waleswood near Rotherham not far from Treeton. (Though his dad my GT granddad, moved to Waleswood Rotherham from Temple Balsall in Warwickshire again to find work but the later lived at Bolsover and died in Clowne Derbyshire) Mum also worked in Dronsfield for a time before moving to Huddersfield.

For now!

I'll try and get my head around your info and I'll have trips to the libraries/archives (Ancestry websites etc access in libraries), in Yorkshire and Rotherham, Sheffield and Derbyshire when I visit relo's down there in the future months.

(I gave up being a subscribed member of Ance*try.co.uk after finishing my own family history and now use the library access to help others)

:)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 August 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
Can rule out the Benjamin Handley 25 Feb or March - father Benj - bapt 1792 Aston Yorkshire

He married Francis Hardy 19 March 1820 Aston Yorks

Benjamin Handley age 69 and Francis Handley aged 70 are on the 1861 census living
in Ashton
-------------
Father
 Benjamin Handley X Mary Simpson marriage 20th February 1812 Dronfield

Benjamin Handley Hatfield Buried 4 Feb 1849 Aged 68 (Est birth year 1781)

Mary Handley wife Hatfield buried 12 Jan 1847 Aged 65.

-------

First Son Charles bapt 18 Jan 1813 Chesterfield ~ died/burial age 3 years  on the 5th May 1816 Chesterfield

Benjamin Handley (senior) and Mary 3rd son Charles baptised 19 April 1818 Hatfield Yorks

-------

2nd son

Benjamin Handley bapt 20 July 1815 Chesterfield- father Benjamin & Mary Handley

Marriage (from family Search LDS)
St George Doncaster 9 Nov 1846
Benjamin Handley -Single (Father Benjamin)
X
Jane Tunstall-Single (Father Edward)

Father Benjamin occupation should be interesting on the original Doncaster parish register or GRO marriage Certificate ~The Hatfield Benjamin was a saddler - wife Mary

1881 census
The cottage  Hooton Roberts
Sub dist Maltby
Dist Rotherham

Head Benjamin Handley married age 65 (1816) Born Chesterfield
Jane Handley wife married age 61 (1820) born Carthorpe Yorks
John Handley son single age 28 (1853) born Bawtry Yorks
Isabella Handley daug single age 27 (1854) born Bawtry Yorks
Maria Handley daug single age 23 (1858) born Kilnbhurst Yorks
Harry Simpson Grandson age 4 (1877) born Graigends Scotland

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 August 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks 'Dobfam'. (I've sent you a personal message). In view of the enthusiasm of Benjamin for naming his sons 'Charles', I would be interested in any Charles Handley (or Hanley or Hundley) burials in the West Riding or north Derbyshire pre 1850.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 August 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
Quite interesting records there, disregard later deaths after 1856.
Deaths Dec 1839   
Handley    Charles        Rotherham    22   329   
Deaths Mar 1856   
Handley    Charles         Sheffield    9c   154    
Deaths Jun 1860   
Handley    Charles         Ecclesall B    9c   131    
Deaths Mar 1874   
Handley    Charles    46    Sheffield    9c   315   
Deaths Sep 1878   
Handley    Charles    70    Ecclesall B.    9c   220    
Deaths Dec 1878 
HANDLEY    Charles Bailey    0    Rotherham    9c   420    
Deaths Jun 1879 
Handley    Charles    28    Rotherham    9c   346   
Deaths Jun 1880 
HANDLEY    Charles    9    Wortley    9c   149   
Deaths Mar 1884 
Handley    Charles    51    Sheffield    9c   243   
Deaths Sep 1889
Handley    Charles Francis    0    Hunslet    9b   204    
Deaths Dec 1889
Handley    Charles    34    Sheffield    9c   345    
Deaths Mar 1891 
Handley    Charles    74    Wortley    9c   169    
Deaths Dec 1892   
Handley    Charles Wilson    0    Wetherby    9a   83    
Deaths Sep 1903 
Handley    Charles    60    Ecclesall B.    9c   217    
Deaths Jun 1908   
HANDLEY    Charles Edward    64    Doncaster    9c   450    
Deaths Jun 1912   
HANDLEY    Charles    0    Thorne    9c   912   
Deaths Dec 1919   
Handley    Charles    5    Wakefield    9c   76    
Deaths Jun 1933   
Handley    Charles    55    Wakefield    9c   66   
Deaths Jun 1935   
Handley    Charles T    71    Leeds North    9b   525   
Deaths Mar 1944   
Handley    Charles    75    Sheffield    9c   540    
Deaths Jun 1950 
Handley    Charles W    67    Rother Valley    2c   632    
 Brian
As a postscript to the above, I found 2 Handley families in 1841 Sheffield both having a Charles.
Charles 3years son of Charles and Mary (both 30 years) H171333c 6/11
Charles 8 son of William and Mary (both 50 years) H171333 1/42
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 August 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks 'Calverley Lad'. As I am looking for a Charles Handley who could have fathered a child in about 1782, only the top two (as you indicate) are possibles.

I think that I have considered the 1839 Rotherham death before and concluded that he was Charles Handley (born 1806), married Martha French at Treeton in 1827, and probably died at neaby Whiston (Rotherham Registration District) in 1839. His wife gave birth to a child at Whiston in 1840, and she's a widow in the 1841 census.

The 1856 Sheffield death is just a possibility, but this Charles would have to have made it to his mid nineties to be a candidate and he aught to show up in the 1851 census. I'll have a think about him before I spend £9 on a certificate.

The 3 year old Charles mentioned in your postscript was the son of Charles Handley baptized at Dronfield in 1808 who was the son of John Handley. This brings us neatly back to where this topic started.

I wonder why so few burials are available online? Millions of baptisms and marriages, but very sparse when it comes to that which cannot be avoided.