Author Topic: 19th and 20th century newspapers from Clare - online?  (Read 3893 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th and 20th century newspapers from Clare - online?
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for some obituaries from the 19th and early 20th century.
Are there any online newspaper archives that I can access?
Cheers
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline kaypilk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 19th and 20th century newspapers from Clare - online?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, a couple of suggestions for you. 
1. As you are in Australia, you can join the National Library of Australia, and with your library card, you can access the Ireland newsarchives.  Normally this is a subscription site, but access is free via NLA on-line resources.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have the Clare newspapers, but references to Clare people do come up in papers from surrounding areas.
2. NLA hold Clare Journal on microfilm, which you can borrow via inter-library loan through your local library.  You would need access to a microfilm reader (I had to go to local university library for this), and it is a tediously slow process.  Would be quicker if you knew approximate date range to narrow your search.
3. Limerick city have online obituaries from 1831 onwards from the Limerick Chronicle.  Unfortunately, they only index the ones actually from Limerick, so you would need to manually scroll through to find any of the many Clare entries.  These are at: http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/ObituariesdeathnoticesetcfromtheLimerickChronicle/
Hope this is of some help to you.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 13 08:27 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Clare Library website?

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 July 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much to you both for your responses.
Yes I have tried the Clare library resources, and some of the irish newspapers from the state library of Victoria site. But i will try to get the Clare Journal, a nice excuse to pop upto Canberra maybe!

Cheers,
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline Ray Greene

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

Noticed your post about getting Newspaper obituaries. I am looking for obituaries from the Clare Champion (I have dates) which are not available online (so I have been told). Is there anyway I can get them in the UK? ;D