Author Topic: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)  (Read 21297 times)

Offline MARYDALTONTHEW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marble Quarry Grays (Portsoy)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 August 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
My Maternal GM was Lizzie Gray the eldest of 6 children. There was Lizzie , Mary, Peggy ( Hilda Margaret). They were sent to London to work as servants for relatives of the Earl Of Strathmere. The family lived in Rowan Bank Cottage, Kemnay. Through their support they were able to help put their siblings through college. Their siblings were William ( who became a chemist but sadly died of tb when quite young), Gordon, who became a headmaster and Frances the youngest who became a teacher. We have the family bible and some old photograph albums of the family. The name Prendagast is mentioned if I remember correctly. I always remember being told that Granny's cousin was a Cardinal Gray and some mention of Wilfred Hyde-White (the actor) being related to Granny too. Rowan Bank was sold I thinK after the death of Mary. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 August 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
Do you have any dates, Mary? And who were the parents of Lizzie and her siblings?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MARYDALTONTHEW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 August 13 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hello . Father was John G ( Possibly Gordon)dob 1860? Gray and Mother was Elizabeth Gray.dob 1866 ( nee Lowie possibly or similar). I do have some photos back in the uk of my ggm and ggf at my brother's home.My grandmother's siblings were , Lizzie, 1892?(herself) , John G, 1894?, Hilda Margaret 1895? and Mary 1896. There was a younger brother William , who trained as a chemist but died in his 30's from TB. Not sure of DOB for him.Then there was Frances the youngest child. Hilda ( Peggy) and Mary never married or had children (That i know of) If there is anything else I can help with please let me know and Thanks for getting in touch. My Grandmother outlived them all. I think it was about 1987 that she died.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 August 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
This looks like the family's 1901 census entry, from what you mention:

John G Gray 40, Mechanical Engineer b. Portsoy Banffshire
Elizabeth Gray 34 b. Kintore, Aberdeenshire
Lizzie L Gray 9 b. England
John G Gray 7 b. Kemnay, Aberdeenshire
Mary A Gray 5 b. Kemnay, Aberdeenshire
Hilda M Gray 6 Month b. Kemnay, Aberdeenshire

Address: Rowan Bank Cottage, Kenmay

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 August 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
With the reference to Portsoy for John Gray's birth, I wonder whether this may be his birth details which potentially show a middle name of George https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY1M-J4L

Possible birth entry for wife Elizabeth here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYG2-2Y5

If you haven't viewed this as yet, John and Elizabeth's marriage (which I think shows in 1890) will be available to view online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk It is pay to view but costs are very reasonable. For marriages, this includes full names of bride and groom's parents, including also full details on mothers' names.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 August 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
I think that birth entry for John George Gray looks likely. This looks to be I think John and wife Elizabeth down in England for 1891 (explains the reference to England for your grandmother Lizzie's birth). This entry shows in the town of Jarrow, Durham:

John George Gray 30, engine fitter b. Scotland
Elizabeth Gray 24, wife, b. Scotland
RG12/4166/57/38

The census in 1891 was on 5 April. Your gran Lizzie must have been born no time after. Her birth reg shows as:

Lizzie Lawie Gray, 2nd Qrt 1891, South Shields, Durham - ref. Vol. 10a, pg. 898.

Monica

Offline sigismunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I've just caught up with your researches and think we are related.  Was your mother my cousin Margaret  (christened Elizabeth?) and your father Paddy?  Or are you descended from one of their sons?  If so, get back to me as I've been researching our line for ages and can share bits.  Don't want to do so on public forum, however. 

Sigismunda

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 September 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
Moderator Comment:  telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Hello just came across this thread by accident .I am great grandson of James Stewart  who married Anne Gray.The Stewart spelling was changed to Stuart  although my granda retained Ew spelling Have all the info for my grandad brothers and sisters if still required.

Offline Stewart 1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 September 15 20:36 BST (UK) »
William and Annie both drowned at legmoon (rocks at Portsoy).The family were offered the lease of Cultain,  Fordyce by the Countess of Seafield after this, moving there in 1901.They stayed at Hill street in portsoy for a time and also farmed Westerwards at portsoy.Only two scions of the tree exist in Scotland today my own from James Stewart  (Cultain)and Alexander Stuart (Durn Portsoy).The Cardinal Gray connection is correct although he denied it.Funny how family first names crop up Jean,Grant Alexander .