Author Topic: What happened to Worthy CROOK  (Read 8326 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Worthy CROOK
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 September 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
There appears to be 2 Worthy Crooks are they related? 

There are actually 3 Worthy Crooks in the family.  :)

Worthy bn 1817 was the son of Henry Crook/Mary Wiltshire.  This is the Worthy I am looking for.   

Worthy bn 1837 was the son of Isaac Crook (bn c1813 Melksham son of Henry Crook & Mary Wiltshire) and Eliza.  This family remained in the Melksham area.

Worthy bn 1855 (Clapham, Surrey) was the son of Henry Crook (bn c1822 Melksham son of Henry Crook & Mary Wiltshire) and Eliza Blackhall.   This family lived in the Lambeth, Surrey area.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 September 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
I had pictures of the tomb of Isaac crook (b 1813) and his 2 wives, I lost my phone, then they took the tomb away, but its a lovely place to be laid to rest and a peaceful place to sit and ponder. I can give you what I know, some of it is definite-as in, I have certificates to prove it, some is probable, as in, I have baptism marriage, burial entries from the church records. I will sort it out as much as I have, and give it to you. As I'm still new to this site, how do I private message it to you both?? Thanks.

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 September 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
I can happily share my ancestry.com trees with you if it's possible (I couldn't work out how last time, and I no longer subscribe) .

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 September 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Dale, I'd love to be able to email you, or facebook if it's an option, I can tell you much bout Melksham, I was born here, so know lots, and I'm happy to take photos of the places as they are now. It's always great to meet new 'family' and the Crooks have been a hard family to find, I do have details of a few that I have found along the way, but it appears there are no Crooks left in Beanacre these days. Please feel free to ask anything, if I can help, I will. PM me your email and i'll send you what I can. (apologies for repeating myself, I am reading each post, and replying separately)

Offline Dale180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
e-mail: (*) - so where have all the Crooks gone?  Here's an interesting thing that happened this summer.  We were in Aruba, 16 degrees of the equator, taking a tour of the north shore, there were two other couples on the tour and one had an English accent.  I casually said my family history takes me back to about 80 miles west-south-west of London.  He asked me my last name and I said Crook - I was looking away at the time, but I caught a startled look on his wife's face as she quickly turned to her husband.  He turned and looked at me, at that point I wasn't sure where this was going, but his wife then said that his (her husband) grandmothers maiden name was Crook and he added that she grew up about 80 miles west-south-west of London.  I couldn't remember Melksham at the time, but what a chance encounter that I might have been sitting across from a distant or who knows not so distant relative. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 September 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
Wow, small world, that gave me goose bumps!! I will message you what I have written out so far, part 2 will have to follow when my eyes can look at a screen long enough again ;).
I need to research where they have gone, I think some are in Yorkshire. The descendants of joseph crook (the Melksham Haulier) were here for many years after, but I guess in recent years, they have moved away.

Offline Scrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post but my Crooks were from Wiltshire too.  I don’t know if anyone still reads this post, but my Crooks followed the mining work to Monmouthshire.  Please reply if you’re interested.

Offline stickychoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scrook, nice to hear from you. Not sure if we are linked, I have a few Crooks in Wilts (Beanacre, Melksham) but they originated from Woodchester in Glos. Where in Wilts do yours come from???

Offline Scrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 07 March 19 07:09 GMT (UK) »
I checked for a possible dna link on genesis gedmatch and a couple of Worthy Crooks did pop up in my dna matches.

I haven’t worked out how we are connected but my gtgfx3 Stephen Crook is from Wick and Abson in South Gloucester so I suspect a possible connection there somewhere?

I’ll try and do a bit more searching later today.  I’ve attached what I found so far?

Regards Sue