Author Topic: Blyth - French?/Dutch? house facing Ridley Park?  (Read 16953 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Blyth - French?/Dutch? house facing Ridley Park?
« on: Thursday 28 June 12 08:35 BST (UK) »
On the southern junction of Ridley Avenue and Park View in Blyth, there is a house unlike any others in the area.

It looks like a little French or Dutch villa and it sits on a triangle of land where the two roads meet.

Anyone know its history?

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline eddie21455

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth - French?/Dutch? house facing Ridley Park?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
On the southern junction of Ridley Avenue and Park View in Blyth, there is a house unlike any others in the area.

It looks like a little French or Dutch villa and it sits on a triangle of land where the two roads meet.

Anyone know its history?

Gen in NBL England
was it not an old hospital at one time
Appleby,  Clifton, Peake, Waldie,  Wilson,

Northumberland, Co Durham, Newcastle upon tyne

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 12 00:40 BST (UK) »
Not sure if that was a hospital but it was certainly the site of the old hospital.

See photo posted by phodgetts - reply no. 11, Gen

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,317038.10.html

Christine

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 12 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

That is definitely the same house! It's a bit different now, entrance changed and painted below, iron railings either gone or hidden by tall hedge...... site of old cottage hospital....?

As the old hospital is now gone, this must be a later building. The 1911 census only shows a builder living in Ridley Terrace, maybe he was the one who built the unusual house?

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 July 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at all the available maps on Old Maps and the building in question has never had a description put with it, i.e. hopsital, doctors house, nut house or anything like that. I therefore assume it has always been a private dwelling, most likely built by a local successful business person, perhaps a Free Mason or Odd Fellow or Buffalo bod. It's unique look has always fascinated me. It would seem that the columns at the front door have either been covered over or completely replaced unsympathetically, most likely due to the timbers rotting away. If there is nothing available in the library that tells us who built this house and when.......... I wonder who might be brave enough to go knock on their door and ask the current owners what they know. If someone does decide to do just that, drop me a line and I will gladly send you a digital image that you can print off on A4 photo paper and give to them, just to prove that it is of local historical interest. I think they would be quite pleased to have the old picture to hang on their hall wall, if they haven't already got a similar image.

I have also sent message to my Blyth 'mole' to see what can be found out. Watch this space.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder what it's street address is, then we could look in postal/trade directories. Could be on either Park View or Ridley Terrace........ hmm.

I go past it about once or twice a month, so next time I'll either do the door-knocking or get the proper address.

The owners probably would like a proper photo IF they haven't already got it! If I was the owner of a distinctive house like this one, I would research it's history if it's not already in the deeds...

Gen in NBL England

Offline skida

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 00:50 BST (UK) »
I had a look at it on Street View and the (modern) entrance is on Park View and the "approximate" address is stated as 1 Park View
Rayne, Raine, Reyne and variations - Teesdale, Langleydale, Lunedale, before 1800
Drysdale - Wallsend, Dunfermline, Clackmannan

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 07:51 BST (UK) »
Will check it at Woodhorn if I go today. WET! Again:-)

Gen in NBL England

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 07:56 BST (UK) »
The main entrance appears to be on Park View and from what I can make out on modern mapping, there is a no. 10 on the left gate post.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.