Author Topic: John Sabiston born 14 Oct 1843 Orkney, Islands  (Read 16517 times)

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
John Sabiston born 14 Oct 1843 Orkney, Islands
« on: Tuesday 10 March 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anyone with access to Scotland websites to find out anything on John Sabiston born October 14, 1843.

Also looking for his siblings and parents.....

Thanks,  Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: John Sabiston born 14 Oct 1843 Orkney, Islands
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who his parents were? there are 2 John Sabistons on igi:
son of: Peter Sabiston and Christiana Johnston
son of: John Sabiston and Margaret Creelman
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi akc

Do they both have the date of birth 14 Oct 1843?
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

John b.15 Sept 1843 to John Sabiston and Margaret Creelman and

John b.  12 July  and ch. 17 Sep 1843  to Peter Sabiston and Christiana Johnston - both in Stromness - both 'extracted' records.

1.  Are you sure the date you have is a birth and not a christening.
2.  Do you have siblings for 'your' John.
3.  Do you have the names of the children of your John
4.  What other information do you have on him.

Regards,   Steve   :)

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

I was told by a guy on another board that he had a John that was born 14 Oct 1843 and that he came to Canada and married Margaret Folster. He was going to send me the info to check out but I never had another reply from him.

I thought I would post the date here and see if anyone could find him on one of the Scotland websites but it is obvious the date he has does not exist and there are only 2 John Sabistons from Orkney around that time.

I will have to try now and figure out which one of these Johns are mine as mine came to Canada and either changes his birth date while here or forgot his actual birth date. I am probably at a dead end as there is no other way to find out which is which.

I have another post on here called Sabistons Of Orkney Islands and I think this information is going to be duplicated so I will close this one.

Thanks for checking,  Spanish Eyes

Offline cgart

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 09 04:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a David Sabiston born 1736?  who had an older brother named John ...couldl this be an ancestor of yours?,  Father was Thomas and mother was Anna/or Agnes Gorrie.

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 09 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

All Sabiston's are related however distant. David is not a close relative but I could do some checking through my files to see if I can locate the family.

Are you related to the Sabiston clan?

Spanish Eyes

Offline cgart

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 April 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
My 5 year companion is Guy Sabiston...We are researching and planning a trip to theOrkney Islands  (house exchange in summer 2010..with a family in Kirkwall.

We have done extensive research on David Sabiston 1735 to  1750?christened in the Orkney Islands as far as we know..he immigrated somehow to Beaufort North Carolina..we know he was in Beaufort, NC ...he (David) ..owned property and was married there in 1775 to a Nancy Piner of the area...he was killed by a slave...who thought he was messing around with his girl friend..in 1811.

We have found no David Sabiston in the time frame except David Sabiston c 1737...father Thomas Sabiston, mother Agnes or Ann or Anna Gorie (Gorrie)...this one had siblings of John christened May 25, 1734 (thought maybe thismight be a distant relative of yours)...Next in line was David Jan 25 1937, Jannet Jan24 1938,Magnus Oct 19 1740, and Ann april24,1743..they were all christened on those dates..they were in the Lamb Holm area then near to Kirkwall...However, we are not sure if this is our connection or not...although researchers say there is no other possibility

I read all the Sabiston forum entries and once you mentioned somewhere that the first bunch of Sabistons went to North Carolina and later some to Canada....

Our David Sabiston had children here in USA too obviously but I will not go into them at this time...as I dont have the records in front of me now..

I was hoping perhaps that you knew WHO went to NC and When...we cant establsih that either or Where they would have gone from in Scotland or ships...Anything of that nature...we have not been able to find a David anywhere in any US immigration records..

Thank you....Cynthia

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 April 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Cynthia

Yes I know of a few that went to North Carolina as well as a contact, another researcher friend in the UK that is doing a one name study of the Sabiston's and he has tons of info and access to all the census's for Orkney.

I will be in touch with you personaly soon.....

Cheers, Spanish Eyes