Author Topic: peter brown  (Read 9148 times)

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: peter brown
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Not a large island !!!!

I will give you the following births for Peter Brown that were registered.  You have not told me yet whether you are using the website for scotlandspeople.
29/11/1806
Peter son of Samuel Brown and Ann Melvin . Stromness, Orkney.  This might be a bit early !!

11/02/1811
Peter son on John Brown/Stewart  . Hoy and Graensay. Orkney. No christian name given on index for mother

01/06/1812
Peter son of William Brown and Margaret Byas. Stromness. Orkney. 

Those were the only Orkney births between 1800 and 1822.  There are others for the mainland but that will be for you to search.
Jefferiss,Hodges,Gill, Cornwell, Stallibrass,Shirreff, Foulkes (CAE) Foulke(DEN ) Roberts, Owen,Morgans, Jones++ Jenkins,Williams

Offline mjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:43 GMT (UK) »
thank you you have been most helpfull give me something to keep me busy tonight
drever cursiter peace leslie towrie paterson  from orkney charlton sparks kerr young graham from   cumberland and dumfriesshire pirie velian from  orkney and aberdeenshire leslie and malcolmson  from fair isle  shetland

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
mjac,

I am a little confused !!!  Could be old age  ;D

In the 1841 Census that Peter Brown is living with Margaret, and children Margaret 3, and Jean 1.

How come we are looking for Betsy?  That is short for Elizabeth.  Unless someone knows different.
Jefferiss,Hodges,Gill, Cornwell, Stallibrass,Shirreff, Foulkes (CAE) Foulke(DEN ) Roberts, Owen,Morgans, Jones++ Jenkins,Williams

Offline mjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 January 12 15:12 GMT (UK) »
this is census for stronsay 1841  arraquoy st nicholas 1 peter brown m 25 agricultural labourer born orkney betsy brown f 25  3 betsy brown f 7 james brown  m 3 fanny brown f1  hope this is of some help
drever cursiter peace leslie towrie paterson  from orkney charlton sparks kerr young graham from   cumberland and dumfriesshire pirie velian from  orkney and aberdeenshire leslie and malcolmson  from fair isle  shetland

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 January 12 15:41 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see, we have 2 Peter Brown 's of the same age on Orkney in 1841.

That is why I was getting muddled !!!!!

The other is a boat builder.

I think that you need to find yourself some credits for www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to sort this out for yourself.

There was only one Elizabeth Meil birth on Orkney and I have already given that one to you.

Good luck in your quest !!!!  Shout if you need more help  ;D

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 January 12 18:58 GMT (UK) »
on the 1851 census betsy ( widow ) aged 39 is born sanday

on the 1861, 1871, 1881 she is in kirkwall
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young