Author Topic: Accurate date please.  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Lidfam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Accurate date please.
« on: Friday 21 November 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible for this photo to be dated accurately please? The soldier served in WW1 and left the regular Army in 1919, although may have stayed on as a reservist. The couple married in 1921, and appear to be wearing wedding bands, although the lady has hers on her right hand. Later photos of her show it on her left hand. Could this possibly be a 1921 wedding photograph, or maybe just a later sitting ?  Also the soldier has something hanging from his right pocket. Can anybody identify it please? Thankyou for any help.

Dale

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Accurate date please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dale...Your photo didn't attach...change the file name and try again. If you are having problems there is a tutorial at the top of the board.
Edit: You did it...well done.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong but I think it's earlier than 1921, more like WW1 era.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Lidfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes possibly, however the soldier definitely appears to have ring on his wedding ring finger, and they married in March 1921. Is it possibly an engagement photo then? And if so, does that explain why it is on the woman's right hand?

Dale

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 November 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Also the soldier has something hanging from his right pocket. Can anybody identify it please?

It doesn't look military.  More like something you find nowadays on a charm bracelet.  It could be a dog.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 November 14 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong but I think it's earlier than 1921, more like WW1 era.

I was wondering the same thing.  I thought that by 1921 the soldier would be wearing a medal ribbon (if he had been posted abroad during WW1).  How certain are you of the identification of the couple?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lidfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 November 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philipsearching.
Thankyou for your help. I am absolutely certain of the identification of the couple. He was my grandfather's brother, and did indeed fight abroad during the war. He was awarded the 3 medals given to all soldiers that completed the war, so that is something i hadn't considered. In 1921 , he would have been 27, and I must say that he looks much younger here. He was actually a Kitchener Boy, signing up within weeks of the call for volunteers in 1914, and so I am wondering if this is an engagement photo, maybe taken before he left for war. I was just hoping that the fashion of his lady, could narrow down the date a little.
                                                     Dale

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 November 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong but isn't that a 1915 economy tunic he is wearing...I think the pleated pockets disappeared for economic reasons around this time.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Lidfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 November 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Treetotal. I honestly have no idea what a 1915 economy tunic was, so I couldn't say. But it does look very clean and crisp, and hardly worn, so this could offer further weight to the theory of it being a 1914 photo. Thanks for your response though, it all helps.

Dale