Author Topic: Which name for Rachel wife of Robert Rennie - Quebec Canada  (Read 16128 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which name for Rachel wife of Robert Rennie - Quebec Canada
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, sorry, grasping at straws, i suppose... I don't have access to full information...and I do find that results vary as well, according to input...   
This search is not unusual for the times, as I don't think people were really sure which names to chose as a given name, or liked another better...If the husband gave the info he may have used another name as well......and the family names are often a head-ache as well for the phonetics, addons and nicknames...Sometimes a good dig can help but we don't have a lot of dirt to sift through, as you  pointed out.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 17 January 15 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Just looked again at the newspaper account of the river craft (Quebec "Minerve") owner, " F. Denaud dit Jeremie"  it also said  "or"  "Mr. Jeremie dit Decelles"
This could very well be the phonetic version of  "F(rancois) Denault dit Jérémie" and makes me wonder if the alias was his other name ( badly phoneticized) Denault "Detailly"

adding
Making their own name around the same time she was born surely makes it difficult to find information... the fact that Francois called himself dit-Jeremy in the 1825 census and and her being called surname Jeremy at death in the 1850s I'd say the surname was established enough by then to be known by many... but not soon enough to be confident to use it for birth entries, perhaps.

So who might the father ( mother) have been...
an online tree has the children of Etienne Jeremie Deneau listed as
Marie Therese Denault
Jacques Denault
Marie Angelique Denault,
Archange Denault
Joseph Deneau
Marie Eleonore Deneau
Jacques Denault
Casimier Denault
Marie Louise Deneau
Francois Denault
Josephte Denaud
Simon Denault
Charlotte Deniau
Etienne Denault

http://www.thefamilysearch.com/getperson.php?personID=I2040&tree=tree1

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 January 15 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Looking through the thread once again there was also this tree...for "Étienne Jérémie Deneau Dit Destaillis" ( this spelling certainly helps the theory that Mr. Jeremie dit Decelles was perhaps the Francois born dit Detailly, later using Jeremie)
http://gw.geneanet.org/monartque?lang=en;pz=pierre;nz=tremblay;ocz=19;p=etienne+jeremie;n=deneau+dit+destaillis

The two trees are the same family... but certainly do not match up... ::)  It certainly does appear to have been a dit added to honour the Jeremie middle name, or to identify a family offshoot...

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 January 15 03:42 GMT (UK) »
I have not been up on new added census online, not sure if you have it, suzee... the 1842 has nine people in the Rennie household so they already had 7 children by then...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-11352-9061-79?cc=1834340

Suzee...You had said Rachel was 49 at her death in 1856....but the gravestone looks to me as though her age says 45...Are you stating the death  information from the Drouin records? Just checking as this would make her birth estimate closer to 1813.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=95297045&PIpi=108572753

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 February 15 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi J J thank you once again for the information - will need to go through it all! I just rechecked the church records that are on this website http://www.swquebec.ca/church_registers/ASP_net_files/surname_search.aspx and Rachel has given her name as Archance = no surname given only that she is the wife of Robert Rennie. She has used this name for these children Alexander in 1837 and Simon in 1839, William in 1843 she used Archance Bernice?, Margaret and Mary in 1849.
For her son James' burial she used Rachel Simoe.
So confusing!! ???
Suzee
BAILEY: Eng. & Aust; MURPHY: Ire & Aust; McDONALD: Sct & Aust; McMAHON: Mon Ire & Aust; BERRY: Ire & Aust; McCRONE/McCROHAN: Ire, Eng & Aust; PUNCH: Cork Ire & Aust & NZ; GREENWAY: Ire; RENNIE: Stirling Sct, Quebec Canada & Aust & NZ; JANZ: Ger & Aust; HYDE: Ire & Aust; HINCHEY: Dub Ire & Aust; GEAGHAN: Galway Ire & Aust; GOUDIE: Shet Is, Sct & Aust & NZ;

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 February 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi J J just rechecked the photo I took of the Rennie monument in the Russelltown church cemetery and her age is 49 and she died Dec 25 - there is distinction between the 9 and 5. 
Regards
Suzee  :)
BAILEY: Eng. & Aust; MURPHY: Ire & Aust; McDONALD: Sct & Aust; McMAHON: Mon Ire & Aust; BERRY: Ire & Aust; McCRONE/McCROHAN: Ire, Eng & Aust; PUNCH: Cork Ire & Aust & NZ; GREENWAY: Ire; RENNIE: Stirling Sct, Quebec Canada & Aust & NZ; JANZ: Ger & Aust; HYDE: Ire & Aust; HINCHEY: Dub Ire & Aust; GEAGHAN: Galway Ire & Aust; GOUDIE: Shet Is, Sct & Aust & NZ;

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 February 15 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that's good...although who can trust the age they give when they/she kept changing her name. ;D
That really is an odd mix of names there...Now did the person who wrote in the registry come up with ther own forename for her...or was she and everyone around her that confused as to her original names....
I suppose if those ARE her ancestors and Jeremie dit Decelles ( which I believe is a version of Detailles)  was used at the same time as Denault dit Jeremie...her father could have also given himself his own version of the name...
Also if she married and baptised outside the family religion she could have been shunned by family and found it hard to keep up with the surname changes. The forename thing, though, is just plain confusing...and it seems she may have been confused herself.
Had the list BEGUN with Rachel one might have thought there was a new wife, but she begins baptising as Rachel...The Archance could have been used if she felt she should be using her baptismal first name from baptism for religious documents...but Mary & Margaret do not make sense....... Although, she may indeed have had three or four names...Catholics can have several in addition to their saint's name, some to honour ancestors, Godparents, and also a confirmation name added later....and sometimes a parent might use one, then the child may choose to use another....and may even switch between two they like best...So I've seen three, but this is a first to see four used, and by the actual person.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 07:33 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if I looked for the Geremie spelling, but here is a Bapt. Geremie Châteauguay Huntingdon,  Inhabitants in household: 6 http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1842/lc/jpg/004569583_00691.jpg

an Emma Geremie, age 36 born Laprairie in the 1852 census married to Louis Surprenant
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SplitView.jsp?id=36269

there is a Jeremie Jérémie and a Barette Jeréme in Berthier 1842
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1842-Canada-East/Pages/results.aspx?k=cnsSurname%3a%22jerem*%22
a couple of surname Jeremie ladies in 1852 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SurnameSearch.jsp?surname=jeremie&ew=e

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Suzee.

Are you able to make out how many months are given for the age of Rachel on the monument? I can see the 49 years just fine but the number for the months is just too small and fuzzy.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada