Author Topic: Murphy/Dougall Orritor Presbyterian Church  (Read 3561 times)

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Locations mainly DUR & NBL, some AYR and Ulster
    • View Profile
Murphy/Dougall Orritor Presbyterian Church
« on: Tuesday 08 September 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for leads on Robert Murphy and Eleanor Dougall who married 9th Dec 1869 at the Orritor Presbyterian Church in Kildress parish and their forebears. 

Both Robert and Eleanor's fathers were farmers called Thomas.  Robert's abode is given as Ballynasollus and Eleanor's as Killycurragh at the time of their marriage. 

They then moved to England and their first child was born there in 1871 but their next child was baptised in Cookstown, Tyrone in 1872.  The last 5 of their children were all born in England. 

I know absolutely nothing else about their ancestry and am hoping someone might just have that one clue which can start me on their trail.

Thanks,
Den
Hall, Murphy, Russell, Forster, Arnell, Dougall, Dennison, Gibson, Humble, Allison, Usher, Dewar, Myers, Tallentyre, Fatherly.  Mainly located in County Durham & Northumberland but some in Lancashire, Ayreshire, Lanarkshire and Ulster.

Offline gabrielchurch

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy/Dougall Orritor Presbyterian Church
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Den

I think we may be distant cousins. My great great grandfather was Thomas Murphy a farmer who lived in the Orritor area in the late 1800s. He was married on 10 October 1871 in Orritor Presbyterian. He lived in the townland of Tamlaght at the time of the 1901 census. His father was also Thomas Murphy and I guess your Robert Murphy was my great great  grandfather's brother. I have been doing quite a bit of research into this area lately and I could give you a few more details if you are interested.

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Gabrialchurch

That sounds promising.  I'm intensely interested in making inroads into the Muphy/Dougall lines since I realised how little I really knew about them.  I kick myself now because back in the 60s and 70s my grandfather's neice used to visit Tyrone every year to see relatives and yet it never dawned on me at that age to get the details.  So anything you could pass on which might shed some light on the Murphy line would be more than welcome.

Den
Hall, Murphy, Russell, Forster, Arnell, Dougall, Dennison, Gibson, Humble, Allison, Usher, Dewar, Myers, Tallentyre, Fatherly.  Mainly located in County Durham & Northumberland but some in Lancashire, Ayreshire, Lanarkshire and Ulster.

Offline gabrielchurch

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 20:24 BST (UK) »
Den

If you email me at (*) I can send you some details including pictures. I'm pretty sure its the same Murphys as there only seem to have been one set of Presbyterian Murphys in the Orritor area. Interesting if your relative carried on visiting Tyrone. There are still descendants of the family in the Cookstown area but none with the Murphy surname as far as I can gather. My grandmother moved to Belfast in the twenties (and that's where my family live - although I'm in London) but she regularly went back to Tyrone. My mother and her sister were sent to live there during the blitz. I think you might find that the Dougalls in that area often spelt their name Dougle if that helps.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've sent you a PM as my browser crashed half way through composing an email.  You'll need to do another post to be able to use PM

Den

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 April 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Den,

I am sorry but gabrielchurch's emails are no longer working, I have done a quick search but there are no postings with his email address and I do not know what the persons name is to search for either :'(

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk