Author Topic: Thomas Browne  (Read 2616 times)

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Thomas Browne
« on: Wednesday 01 October 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a Thomas Browne born 1847at Carrowcally, Kilmeena,  Mayo and who died 1897 possibly at Knockfin, Westport, Mayo I am trying to find where he was buried does anyone know of any cemeteries that I could search in?  His wife was a Bridget Kerrigan and she died in 1929

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Browne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I do not have an answer to your question but I note that  familysearch at:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ea1/

has what looks like him on the Calendar of Wills as having died 13 November 1896 at Knockfin, wife Bridget.

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 November 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
 ;DHi thank you so much for your reply, it certainly does look like this is the man I am looking for, thank you once again. Regards Joan

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 14 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is confirmed that this is my Thomas, once again thank you so much, I have to admit I never considered that there might be a will  I shall now start to look if anyone else made one!  Joan

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 14 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I am delighted you have made progress.

With regard to his burial place, if you look at a map of Knockfin you will see it about 2 miles outside Westport on the road to Murrisk which is the R335 here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ea8/ 

Nearby is Aughavale Cemetery here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ea9/

So this cemetery is very close to where Thomas lived and must at least be a possibility for his burial.   Murrisk Abbey cemetery is also less than 2 miles away at Murrisk.  Perhaps someone with good local knowledge will be able to help.

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am so sorry I have just realised that I never thanked you for the rely re the two cemeteries in Westport, my husband and I went to Mayo last September and I searched both the cemeteries you mentioned with no luck, however in Aughavale cemetry there were a lot of stones that were unreadable or badly broken so he could have been buried there.  Once again many thanks and apologies for not replying sooner.