Author Topic: Architect Apprentice  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Architect Apprentice
« on: Thursday 22 May 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to assistance on this forum I have recently discovered that on the 1901 Scottish Census, one of my relatives a William MacIndoe, was an Architect Apprentice (aged 18 yrs old) and living in Ayr.

Is there any way of finding out further information, I have checked the Scottish Dictionary of Architects and nothing comes up under just his name, but he could have been working for a company.  Is there any local resources I could try to find out any building designs etc he worked on?

Would he have likely gone to a local college to study first or just gone straight into an apprenticeship with a company?

Thank you for any help.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Architect Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom 23,
     Thought you might be interested in this Census Return.
1911 England Census. St Annes on the Sea, Lancashire.
William Macindoe, 27, born Ayr, Ayr Ayrshire.

Not sure if an Architectural Draughtsman is a qualified Architect or an Architect's Technician/Assistant ie draws up the plans for an Architect. Hope other RootsChatters can add to that. Sorry I can't be of more help.
               Regards,     Dod.

Moderator comment - 1911 Census information edit , free index information only , copyright.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
This is one explanation of Architect v. Draftsman/draughtsman http://education-portal.com/articles/Architect_vs_Draftsman_Whats_the_Difference.html... modern and American, but I think describes the differences well nevertheless.

With the major fire yesterday at the Glasgow School of Art  :'(, interesting to see that Charles Rennie Mackintosh was actually a junior draughtsman...his drawings won the competition for the building contract for his firm then www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/mackintosh-was-then-just-a-junior-draughtsman-yet-he-produced-a-work-of-genius.24311523

My wonderful loving Uncle Desmond, who died much too young, was an architect at the Glasgow City Corporation in the 1960-70s.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 May 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
~~With William here:

This looks to be the 1901 transcript (as transcribed). They obviously like to put the son first, rather in order of age  ::):

Jenie Maeindo 47 book keeper
William Maeindo 18 son Apprentice Architect
Minnie Maeindo 20 daughter Art Student
Nettie Maeindo 16 daughter
Mary Wylie 18 servant

Address: 27 xxx? Ayr

Wonder if this might be a death in England, given Dod's link to a move to England for William?

William McIndoe, aged 84 died in Sep 1966 (ie born c. 1882). Winchester/Hampshire. Ref. 6b/717...however, cannot see any corresponding marriage etc. so jury is out!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 May 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica & Tom 23,
     Thanks for the Link re: draughtsman. My son is an Architectural Technician. My apologies to any architects who may read this but he says (tongue well in cheek) that the difference is: Architects think up ideas. Technicians tell them it won't work!
     Architects are university trained over a 5yr degree course, whereas technicians can be college trained over 2yrs or more. Some architects do both, college course leading on to university.
     I just wasn't sure if an architectural draughtsman in 1911 was the same as a architectural technician today.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 May 14 09:30 BST (UK) »

Thank you for this information.  :)

I never considered he might have moved to England so this gives me a new starting point to continue my research!

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 May 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Might be worth contacting the RIBA's archives?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan